Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Old 08-23-2006, 01:17 AM
jaanpla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Giddyuperic, as I mentioned I am new to RCs and am always wanting to learn more than I already know. You say to stop the engine the best way is to pinch the fuel line, but what if I am not done using the car yet? Won't I have to prime it all over again if I kill the engine by pinching the fuel line? Also I have read a few members say that pinching the fuel line to kill the engine is a not a good idea because it leans out the engine. Granted it is only for a few seconds but is it safe to do that to the engine every time I want to kill it?

Not disagreeing with you, just looking to learn all I can. Thanks!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:36 AM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say that we are all new to something. But you do what ever you think and your book say's to do and in no way would I ever talk down to someone who is new to this hobby or anything else. I had some bad run in's with some guys at A local hobby shop name won't be said!!! What I am trying to say is that this form is the best place to learn from people who have been where you are at. So have fun and do what you think is right.The old timers have the best info. thank you for your time. see ya in the dust!!!!! 1/10 buggy syclone 4wd\ 1/10 on road 4wd 2speed rapida\ and A brand spankin new torpeda .28 sh pro big block!!!!! ha! ha!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:05 AM
jaanpla

I know this is the best place to learn that is why I asked for your opinion, or clarification on the mixed tips/advice I have been reading. Just in the last two pages alone there already has been a few different "best ways" provided. I guess I will just do "what I think is right/best", rather than actually get to know the RIGHT way to do it.

Oh and I didn't imply that you were talking down to me at all, but then again netiquette deems typing in all caps as yelling, so take it for what it's worth. Thanks again.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:27 AM
chubbysuncle

ORIGINAL: giddyuperic

OKAY PEOPLE LETS PUT THIS TO BED!! YOU DO NOT STOP A NITRO CAR,TRUCK,BUGGY WHAT EVER BY COVERING THE HOLE IN THE EXAUST PIPE OR STICK YOUR FINGER IN WHERE THE FLYWHEEL IS!!! PEOPLE JUST PINCH THE FUEL LINE GOING TO THE CARB AND THAT WILL ALSO BURN ANY FUEL LEFT IN THE CUMBUSTION CHAMBER. SO NO MORE SHOES, FINGERS PLEASE AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
You really don't need to yell. If I have to shut my truck off quick or in an emergency,I put my finger on the stinger...Too bad if you don't like it... stops it quick and I'm not ripping the body around digging for a fuel line. Keep an old rag in your pocket and use it over your finger if it's an aluminuim pipe. My normal shutdown is I just run the car/truck out of fuel. I plan my runs to a point and if it looks like I can't run a full 10 -15 mins then I don't fill the tank to the top. Why would you not use all the fuel in the tank? You guys aren't leaving your cars laying around with fuel in them, are you?? Oh and I oil my "cumbustion" chamber after I'm done running.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:42 AM
jaanpla

That's another thing my LHS told me, was to NEVER leave the car with fuel in the tank if I am not going to run it. If for whatever reason I can't run the tank empty before having to shut it down, I drain most of the fuel using the fuel bottle then run the engine to burn whatever little is left in the tank and fuel line.

If anything else it seems my LHS has been spot on on the tips they have given me based on your advice chubbysuncle.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:25 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sorry for not yelling at you but I forget that if you write in caps it means that you are yelling, sorry for that. And you do what ever you want sorry if I came across A jerk!! Iam really not that way I just keep forgetting to not write in caps.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:37 AM
lucasdon17

Nice to see u guys discuss so much abt stopping the engine. I am having so much trouble just starting this engine !![:@][&o]
Old 08-25-2006, 08:24 PM
chubbysuncle

It's cool Eric [8D]. Lucas, you still can't get it to run? Fuel, Ignition and compression is all you need. ( Oh... and Oxygen). They just have to happen at the right time and the right quantities.
Old 08-25-2006, 10:50 PM
Popper252

You're oh so wise CU.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:02 PM
chubbysuncle

LOL !!![sm=lol.gif] Hey Popper welcome back!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:53 AM
jguitarsandcars

welcome back popper...lucas, I'm still having a heck of a problem after all I've done...I've decided to cut those MPI clutch springs...The engine's just not winding enough R's before it starts moving (although as far as me giving throttle it's good), and in my short yard, it's really dogging, but one's I get to ALMOST the point of turn around in my driveway, it's just starting to build some R's and speed, so I'm thinking after everything I've done, and the fact that it's still rich and hot, the clutch is grabbing too soon with those longer springs...'cause it was running alright, just needing to fine tune for temp before I broke the stock spring...but has been acting up ever since I changed springs...
Old 08-29-2006, 03:47 PM
ultima

i broke my front knucles, so i super glued them, ran them in the toaster oven twice, flipped them upside down (because its the bottom part that breaks) and installed them, never had a problem with it since, i just gotta get a new clutch spring, i tuned my engine so it cant go full throttle and have high rpms, because it seems to be the problem, its spinning open too fast, havent had a problem since i tuned it that way, engine seems to be running smoother now as well, if u ask me, the chassie and parts arent meant for a .18 powerplant, i tune it down and it seems liek itll run for many more moons now, i dont race or bash, i just drive around, see where i can go, nothing that would rip any parts up
Old 08-29-2006, 09:15 PM
glk420247

Ok I have my car running great. The only issue I am having is with it shifting gears. When I first fire the car up and let it warm up, then go full throttle my car will shift for about the first 3 times I do this. Then no shift, so then I go and adjust the screw and it shifts again for a couple of times. Then back to the same old thing not shifting. Am I forgetting something here. I go 1 to 2 full turns or somewhere in the middle from flush.. Just wondering what you guys think. One more thing I use the locktite when i think i have it but then I have the same problem. Just can't get it set to shift all the time.

Thanks Greg

Tornado XP
Old 09-06-2006, 05:10 PM
NightHawk18

Alright Hi everyone i have problem and i was hoping someone could help me, i own a volcano sv and recently i replaced my clutch spring and after that i have noticed that when i get on the gas that the blue gear behind the red one spins and doesnt engage with the big red one. It has nothing to do with my motor placement and it happens only when ig et on teh gas hard. Also it started making a grinding kinda sound sometimes when i get off the gas and my gear mesh is fine from the engine to the transmission, Does anyone have an idea of how i can fix this like tighten somethng or what

thanks Jared
Old 09-06-2006, 05:32 PM
chubbysuncle

Can you post a picture? It sounds like you lost a bearing somewhere. Either in the clutchbell or one self destructed in the trans.[X(]
Old 09-06-2006, 05:54 PM
NightHawk18

sure i can, what would you like me take a pic of? I can point to the gear that spins or anything

lmk Jared
Old 09-06-2006, 05:58 PM
chubbysuncle

Yes. I have a Volcano STX. The gears arn't colored. I'm not sure where you mean exactly. A pic would help. Use the little flower ( macro) on the cam a see if you can get a clear closeup of the gears. Take the air filter off. Clear pics will help others with simalar problems.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:03 PM
NightHawk18

This may seem dumb but how do i post the pics i took them LMK Jared
Old 09-06-2006, 06:08 PM
futabaed

click edit post
(rite below your post)

then upload images button.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:10 PM
chubbysuncle

Click the Reply button on the top right corner of this post. It will open a new box and you'll see on the bottom left " Click here to upload images and files" click that and you can browse for your pics and they will load up. Wait for the files loaded box then click OK to post the message and pics
Old 09-06-2006, 06:14 PM
NightHawk18

allright there is the problem where the red and blue gears are at. Thanks Jared
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56832.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	520073  
Old 09-06-2006, 06:16 PM
NightHawk18

the blue gear will spin if i put my finger on the red one and hold it

thanks Jared
Old 09-06-2006, 06:21 PM
chubbysuncle

On the other side of the larger gear, toward the fuel tank, theres a 14mm nut. Holding the small aluminium gear you need to tighten that nut down tight against the spring. This is the slipper clutch. The spring tension pushes the larger plastic gear agianst the smaller gear and theres a gasket-like washer that slips to prevent too much stress on the drivetrain. They can loosen up.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
chubbysuncle

You need to tighten this:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39062.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	520080  
Old 09-06-2006, 06:25 PM
NightHawk18

alright so on the other side of the red gear by the fuel tank theres a nut. Do i ahve to take anything off or is it easily reached? Thanks for all the help guys

Jared

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.