Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Old 09-26-2006, 08:04 PM
chubbysuncle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Put blue locktite on the screws and they tighten down on a flat spot on the shaft. You can remove the front dog bone without any damage to the car. It's more difficult to control but is fun. I couldn't handle doing doughnuts all over. All of the flats should line up on the shaft like in the pic that Mark posted the link to. But Blue Locktite holds them well and you should do all the screws on the car that thread into metal.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:46 PM
JohnSBellJr

hey all,

i decided to start the break in on my lightning.... but i couldn't even get it to start. it turns out the fuel tank is clogged on the supply to engine side. on my tornado xp i can plug the muffler with my finger and pull the cord and fuel rushes to the engine. (this is usually how i prime it, just a half pull.) but on the lightning it does nothing. and i tried to blow back in the tube and it seems to be stopped up.... cleared the top but nothing. has anybody ever had this problem?
thanks
-john
Old 09-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Canudigitman

Yes I had this exact same problem but with a Tornado. I had to take the gas line hose off and unscrew the connector. Then I used a dentist teeth cleaning tool to clear the blockage. I would go ahead and tell support and they will send you a new gas tank though.
Old 09-29-2006, 11:28 PM
NightHawk18

Hmm[:@] I still cant get those grub screws to stay down, i put locktite on them and everything and i made sure they were tight. does the rear one and the one by the brake have to line up? If so how do you line them up? Mine are off by about a 1/4 of a turn. I can run for about 2 mins and then either the one by the brake or the one at the rear will just let go. Is there something i can do to fix this or what?

thanks Jared[]
Old 09-30-2006, 10:54 PM
NightHawk18

alright i put lock tite on it but im noticing some odd gear rub, if i push hard slowly i can feel each gear ckink. what do i do yo fix this.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:10 AM
chubbysuncle

You're pushing hard on what to get the gear "clicking"??? The whole car? It's probably the spur gear (s) or clutchbell thats got some worn or missing teeth. If it's in the front or rear differential then it's the gears inside the diff. You need to pinpoint where the problem is and you'll usually be able to see the problem. Use a simple process of elimination to locate the problem. As far as the grub screws working out Blue locktite properly applied will keep them from coming out. You're not doing something properly if it doesn't work.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:50 AM
glk420247

In reply to both Nighthawk and chubbysuncle. CU I dont know if you remembered when I ask about that spacing between the drivecups and the trans unit, But I had them pushed to tight up against the trans unit and tighten them. After I did that it felt like some thing was grinding also, would not roll smooth. Maybe thats what he did, I think you said about 1/16 space between the drive cups and the trans unit.
Old 10-01-2006, 03:35 PM
NightHawk18

Alright Ill try a space and let you know

thanks Jared
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
glk420247

Juat make sure you get it tight on the flat part of the pinion. I am sure you already new that. Just a reminder!
Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
giddyuperic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello there I was wondering if the redcat trans part#02076 is the same as the two speed trans for the himoto? Any help would be great Thanks giddyuperic
Old 10-02-2006, 06:13 PM
JohnSBellJr

well i put the new tank on the brand spankin new never been ran lightning... and it took for ever to get it to run.... but now i have to tune it.... i gave up on it for now, couldn't get it......[:@]
-john
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM
NightHawk18

Heres kinda an off top8c thing but can you buy the fully assembled two speed and clutch bell from redcat racing and just install it on your volcano sv? hows that work?

thanks Jared
Old 10-02-2006, 10:37 PM
galaszuk

Hello all,

I have been absent from the forum for quite some time. It is good to be back and have some time for playing with my cars as well as selling them. If you are looking for tuning advice then maybe I can offer some assistance. I have tinkered with these cars quite a bit. You could also go to our website and check the articles page. It will be uploaded tonight. So you should be able to see it tomorrow. The address is:

www.tttoys.com.au

and that we have everything for 1/10th HISPEED/REDCAT/HIMOTO as well as other Brands. More will be coming before Christmas.

If you need anything then just jump online and order and it will sent be out in a jiffy.

If you need any advice then PM me.

Thanks all
Dave
Treasure Trove Toys
Old 10-04-2006, 06:49 PM
chubbysuncle

ORIGINAL: NightHawk18

Heres kinda an off top8c thing but can you buy the fully assembled two speed and clutch bell from redcat racing and just install it on your volcano sv? hows that work?

thanks Jared
I've already responded to the cross post advertiseing above in one of the other threads. Jared... I don't think a 2 speed in in a truck is worth it. It will work but you'll need the crappy 2 speed clutchbell too. The gearing is a little to tall for the bigger tires on the Volcano. If you're running the truck on flat pavement only and just want all out speed, or at least whatever the stock .18 can put out, then it can be done. I would'nt waste my $$$[8D]
Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 PM
adrian2007

can you show me a picture of the gearbox on the volcano stx dissasembled
Old 10-08-2006, 04:36 PM
Popper252

hey guys, Just wondering, has anyone come up with a fix for the crappy sealing fuel tanks?
I can only run my buggy for a few minutes at a time and then I have to reprime it because there isn't enough fuel being sucked up to the engine.
The tank I'm using right now is pretty much brand new, so I figured the seal would still be fine but it's obviously not doing the trick.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 PM
Jtsonisdc

I have been fighting with my Himoto Syclone Pro for over a week thinking the reason the tires keep spinning when I start the engine and can't get it to idle was because the engine was not tuned properly. Thanks to the threads above after taking 5 minutes to remove the gear bell the clutch spring just popped out and after putting back together properly everything works fine again. Thanks a million, I was ready to through the dam engine away and buy a new one. Thanks again.
Old 10-08-2006, 07:05 PM
Jtsonisdc

Popper252 you probably have a bad seal I would try the easiest thing first, replace the seal and then go from there. This happened to me once and it was a defective seal.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:25 PM
giddyuperic

Just A note to JT you can use the traxxas three shoe spring it's the same you can get three of them for like $4 or 5 bucks but what I did is go to redcat racing and their lighting is the same as the himoto and buy your self 4or5 set's of shoe's and they come with the spring. Trust me you will need them [sm=drowning.gif] I have the hole line of himoto buggys and the one on road car you can see in my photo's good luck grub screws too you might as well buy some of those to 3mm and 4mm and good old locktight.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:52 PM
glk420247

what is the stock number on those springs from Traxxas? I use the traxxas 4146x and they are about 7bucks for just 1.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Popper252

Is it possible to buy a different seal for the gas tank? I don't think they sell the seal individually. I may go take a look at the hobby shop sometime tomorrow to see what they stock. In the mean time I'm just gonna toy with some rubber bands and stuff like that to see if those will work.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:25 PM
giddyuperic

Hey I had that problem on my buggy what I did was use some rubber washer's you can get them at ace they come in all size's and when one goes bad you just put A new one in. Can anybody tell me if locktight goes bad after some time you know in the tube???
Old 10-08-2006, 11:41 PM
Popper252

Alright thanks for the advice man, I'll take in my original gasket to the hardware store tomorrow and try to find something similar.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:28 AM
giddyuperic

Hey I almost forgot to tell you that you can use o-ring's too you can get them for dirt cheap any hard ware store. I saw you photo of your buggy in the sand how did it do? Did you have to put sand tires? the photo looks cool how it's kicken up the sand!!! And still no news on the shelf life of locktight does it go bad over time? or is it good to go long as you keep the cap on? Man sorry but they say that the first thing to go is your mind.[sm=confused.gif] I wanted to ask you if you had A big inprovment when you went with the FM radio? I am looking at the futaba 3PM FM 75mhz with the receiver R 153f and two servo's s3003 and s3305 does it really ad to the hole package????
Old 10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Team Knowitall

posting this here...if you want to see the original search "Tuning 101" by author Frost_

He wrote this originally in the Savage forum, but it applies to all nitro engines.

ORIGINAL: Frost_

Look, it really doesn't matter what other's settings are... SOOOOO many variables affect this (plug type, fuel type, relative humidity, temperature, differences in eniges and carb that are within allowed manufacturing deviation....) that what one person runs is no comparison to be using against yours.

TUNING 101

There is NO HARM in running the the S25 up to 270F as long as it isn't lean (stuttering).... They guys on another forum have been performance tuning vs. temperature tuning with interesting results. Their engines are running as long as those who were obesessing over lower temperatures, all the while the performance tuned engines were SCREAMING. Did you know that even with 16/49 gearing the stock S25 can be made to wheelie at will AND give good pull to top end? It can while at 270 or so and still provide longevity.

Tune for performance, forget the gimmicks, go with what works.

If you are already getting good top end and you are running at 250F or so (if you haven't bought a 20 dollar temp-taker DO IT) here is what to do to get SNAPPY response, this is what pulls wheels and gives you that GREAT take-off:

1. Since off the line "snap" can be given or taken away by being lean OR rich on the LSN the first move is a guess (well it won't be after you get a feel for it, but this will get you going quickly)...

2. Pull the truck up in front of you and let it idle for 8 seconds. Then pull the trigger to WOT... Did it scream and take off? If no:

3. You have to go one way or the other... choose richer or leaner (suprisingly to many beginners, off the line stutters can be caused by too lean conditions just as easily as too rich) and turn the LSN in that direction 1/16th of a turn. Make a short pass at medium to high throttle and return the truck to in front of you.

4. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor the throttle. Did it take off better or worse? If better, turn it a 1/16 in the same direction, if it got worse, turn it 1/8th the OPPOSITE way. Either direction you started in, now you will be going one way based on whether it got better or not... either richer or leaner.

5. Make another short pass at medium to full throttle (AFTER you made the change to the LSN) and return the truck to you. Let it idle 8 seconds and floor it. Is it still getting better? If so, continue to lean or richen using the pass/idle 8 seconds method until you lose preformance and back up a step...

If your temps are in range this is how to quickly get your truck to "explode" off of the line... Always make the pass to clear out the engine and then let it idle 8 seconds. The idling will allow it to either lean out or load up, depending on which way the current settings are off... Get the hang of this and your truck can really take off. If you end up leaning the LSN out excessively make sure to keep an eye on temps, your top end needle may need a bit of enrichment.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.