Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

ORIGINAL: roosterd

Is that something that should be pretty easy to install with a little common sense. Does it come with installation instructions?

4 bolts, it does come with insturctions but its very easy
Old 03-26-2007, 09:47 PM
Cookston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ehroof

Thanks I'll give it a try
Old 03-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Cookston

It ran about 2 sec. then died again
Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 PM
mashn76

hello, firs time post for me and also new to the hobby.

I purchased the tornado xp in december and it has been a great car. so then i purchase a volcano sv. fun truck but im not as impressed as its not nearly as quick. on the third day i it would rev but not move and i noticed the dif. grear was stripped on the inside at the shaft. so i email redcat and asked if i could switch to the two speed from the xp and the reply was yes. so i did it and with a lil time and tweaking i got it and it did work. Now heres where I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!

I ran a couple tanks through it and it ran decent but didnt have the quick take off but once moving it was fast. I couldnt get it to shift but it may just need a lil adjusting there but i noticed a bigger issue. the what the owners manual calls the engine gear was coning. now the tornado motor and the volcano motor are the same but the clutch shoes are different. the tornado shoes are metal and the volcano shoes look to be ceramic. i have attached pics and would like to know what caused this. i would like to keep the 2 speed on the truck because its alot faster. is it possible to get a more torque out of the low gear? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20338.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	652549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33085.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	652550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd82070.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	652551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey69872.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	652552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11170.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	652553  
Old 03-29-2007, 06:53 PM
ehroof

you need to upgrade the clutch bell, the aluminum ones are no good. i have never seen a clutch bell cone like that before, lol. Get an hpi cluch bell 17/22 or 13/18
Old 03-29-2007, 07:21 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Where in the heck did you get those clutch shoes from and the clutch bell, that happened when the truck was running? I've seen the clutch bells explode but never turn in to an ice cream bowl. Did you buy that truck used or something?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:06 PM
NSXTACY

Dang i can't see a single thing in the pics. But it looks like the clutch had a bad day.

Great news guys! Just ported my cylinder sleeve and crankshaft today and boy it is alive now. Never ported before, 1st time so i took it easy and did some minor porting and polishing. But it screams like crazy now, super fast accleration and the most speed ive ever gotten out of my 1st gear. Bad news is 2 way clutch drive is still acting weird. It will switch but once its switched it usually stays in second gear unless you totally stop it. I think it needs a little wd-40. Right now i don't have enough space to get top speed out of 2nd gear especially since i just ported it. But since the porting job was a great success i am going to make another video tommorow and hopefully on sunday.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:24 PM
ehroof

get them videos up
Old 03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
NSXTACY

Ehh.. my good video filmer will be gone all week so the soonest i can get a video is next sunday, not this sunday. But i promise it will be even better than the last video, i am gonna go to this huge park nearby with a lot of sand, dirt, and endless soccer fields. But hey ehroof can you explain more about how to install the 13/18t clutch bell, and you said something about pics.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Cookston

Hey All
I got to playing aroung with the high speed and low speed screws and finally got the thing running, but not I am way too lean. If I try and richen it up a little then it does a couple of things. First it is very hard to start and when I hit the gas it stalls, this happens about 7 out of 10 times. The other three times it did move but as soon as I let off the gas it died. I checked the carb and it still has a small opening at the idle and break position.
Any help? (I am refering to my first post an page 31)
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 PM
NSXTACY

Ur defientally too rich. Don't be scared to make it lean. You can tell when it is too lean. This might help:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg
Old 03-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Cookston

I did watch those last night and that is how I got it up and running again. However, I forgot my temp gauge so I did the water trick and as soon as the water drop hit the cooling head it sizzled away in less than two seconds.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 PM
Cookston

Thats too lean right ?
Old 03-30-2007, 02:02 AM
mashn76

no, bought both of them new. the bells and shoes are different on the tornado and volcanos. i just put the bell and gears from the tornado onto the volcano. its definately faster but needs a lil more low end. any ideas? the stock volcano dif gear stripped and the truck was a lil slow from the get go so i tried this. im thinking maybe this had something to do with the material used on the shoes of the volcano. as you can see in the pics the volcano bell is a different material than the tornados two speed one.

the tornado is great at the track and not so great around the house if you live in town like me, as the clearance is an issue and i recommend keeping a couple front lower arms etc. in stock lol. the volcano as i have gathered from my experience and what i have read from others has a gear issue, which is probably easily fixed, but i was a little bent that it stripped out in 3 days. its not very fast, but its fun and seems to be pretty durable and is not so great at the track but is great for around the block and mashn. i really like how it handles. alot easier to control than the tornado. im thinking getting a hurricane, if anyone has one let me know how it is, the goods and the bads, i wonder why it doesnt come with 2sp option. thats a nice thing with the tornado. i went to the track last weekend and it was great, needs bigger wheels i think but i was very impressed. there was a guy there with a losi 1/8 truggy and the tornado was very very close to it speed wise especially on the straight away. i let him run my car and he was impressed.
i have done alot of comparing and have friends that have other brands and they have to work on theirs as much as if not more than i do. i think the redcat is the best bang for the buck by far.

does anyone know who actually makes the redcat/himoto cars? i think they are nearly identical to kyosho. if you have a hurricane compare it with the mp7.5. maybe it will help someone looking for compatible parts for either. heres a couple pics, sorry if their not that great. theres one pic of a hurricane, one of a mp 7.5 and the parts pic is for the mp7.5.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63948.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	652796   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65254.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	652798  
Attached Images  
Old 03-30-2007, 02:28 PM
NSXTACY

I think Redcat and himoto take the designs of good brands like kyosho and hpi and they alter them a bit of their own for the better. And they sell them cheaper because cost of labor is less in china. But yea i love redcat! Even though they have flaws(like every manufacturer) they still are worth every single penny.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

The hurricane and the quake are great 1/8ths right out of the box. They dont need anything changed right off the bat.
You dont need a 2 speed in them. You wouldn't be able to control it lol... The quake wheelies good to after break in.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:24 PM
mashn76

The hurricane and the quake are great 1/8ths right out of the box. They dont need anything changed right off the bat.
You dont need a 2 speed in them. You wouldn't be able to control it lol... The quake wheelies good to after break in.
[/quote]

i was just wondering about the two speed because i have a friend that has a ofna ultra comp w/ .26 motor and it just doesnt seem to have the top end. i actually think the tornado xp would be a good match up on a drag. i will have to line them up one day and see. just curious as to how it ran. i have a volcano sv and it was fun but a lil slow so i installed a tornado 2 sp in it and it was quick but needed more lower end. the clutch bell went out in it and i ordered a hpi 13t 18t for more lower end. cant wait to get it tuned to my likings. well before the clutch bell went it was decent. hit a straight away on the street and let off and turn and it does like 2 360s. i will let you guys know how it works out when its all done.

anyone know where i can get tsunami wheels at or something similar as i would like to try them out on my tornado, the factory wheels seem to be a bit small making it squirly at the track. thanks everyone.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:02 AM
NSXTACY

Hey anybody know if i could get JUST the 2 individual firm, gold springs in this link: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXVK12&P=0
My clutch engages too early.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:30 AM
ehroof

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNYY4&P=7 it says this is the stiffer spring, looks like an exact fit
Old 04-01-2007, 06:27 PM
NSXTACY

Thanks a lot ehroof!

Ehroof, from my tornado bb vid could you tell if my buggy is running too lean? I am not sure i have no idea how to tell besides the smoke and engine tone. It has a good bit of nice blue smoke but for some reason i feel its too lean.
Old 04-01-2007, 06:43 PM
ehroof

as long as it blowing smoke and not oveheating you ok, you dont need to worry, it sounded fine to me. if you dont have a temp gun do the spit test.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:28 PM
NSXTACY

How does that work again? The spit test?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:14 PM
ehroof

put a little spit on your finger, whipe the head, if it evaporstes and sizzles away right away, its too hot, if it take like 5 seconds to evaporate your ok.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:22 AM
asl4lyfe

Pls. help me with clutches. I know what they are, but don't know what happens if you change the teeth on the clutch or spur gear. Any advice? *THANKS* in advance
Old 04-03-2007, 04:21 PM
ehroof

ok, clutch bell (or pinion) the more teeth the more top end but less take off, the less teeth the more low end power but less top end speed. Its the oposite for the spur gears, smaller spur highter top end and less low end, larger spur more low end and less top end.

hope this helps your out and not confuse you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.