Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Mercyful Fate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Hi All,
New to the nitro thing and it is great. I have a little problem. I bought my hurricane XP done the break in and everything is going great expect for a broke servo and battery holder nothing major. Any way the question is when I run the buggy it wants to idle to high and it does not make any diffrence witch way I turn the idle screw it still wants to run to fast. Any help would be great.
Thank you
Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turn the throttle trim down on the radio, little knob usually says th on it. its for fine tuning of the servo position, there is one for steering too, usually says st.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:02 PM
Mercyful Fate

Thanks ehroff. Will try that tomorrow. Has to go to work tonight.[:@]
Old 04-11-2007, 01:20 AM
mashn76

hey ehroof, thanks for the help. the 5/16 pin was too big had to use like a 5/32. the 5/16 wouldnt even fit inside the clutch bell. and after all the work it payed off cuz its great. much much better than stock. i have a couple minuite clip, its not long cuz my camera battery went dead on me. i need a lil more room to really open it up too. im putting a assoc. rpm pipe and hpi header on too. i will have many more clips coming soon. we should get a thread going of videos of everyones rides with a list of all mods and upgrades. that would be great. you da man ehroof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe_UqM2EkHc

-------------

tornado xp, volcano sv, and tsunami should arrive this weekend.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:20 AM
bryonp

ehroof i need help i just bought 2 tornado xl's with 16 single speed i was talking to hawk and he said as soon as i get them i need to change the clutch spring to the traxxas 4146x and a hpi bell housing 15 to 20 tooth vented clutch bell he recomended a 17 if i change these will the stock spurgear be ok or will i have to change this 2 what do you recomend and can i buy this at my lhs i havent got the cars yet i just ordered them tonight im excited i use to race on raod serpent but that was like 10 years ago and no kids LOL but now this is all i can afford for dad to have fun im just woried out of the box its going to be broke part city and total disapointment that scars me on my budget but for $99 i cant complain thanks for your help in advance
Old 04-11-2007, 03:07 AM
mashn76

hey bryon, ehroof has helped me alot and he will be able to give you great advice. i have a tornado xp and i have ran almost a gallon of fuel through it and it still has the original clutch spring on it. i have read that others have had issues with them though. i would definately change the clutch bell though. the stock ones are a lil crappy. the lower the t# on the clutch bell the more lower end you will get. i got mine from tower hobbies. i havent seen the single speed .16 run so i dont really have a suggestion for you there. i run mine pretty hard and the thing i break the most is the front lower arms which sometimes i end up losing the drive axle cuz it goes flying lol. having more than one car helps from having down time so you paid 200 for 2 xls which is a unbeatable deal in my mind. i look at it like you got two for the price of one cuz anything else is at least that for just one. i know if you order stuff from tower or redcat they are pretty much a flat rate so you can stock up on some stuff to save on shipping in the future. let me know how that car runs as i am thinking about getting one of the xls for my daughter. thanks.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:30 PM
bryonp

i found out today that they sent me the new upgrade tornado shockwave can we say yeh yeh it has a new steel bell and a stronger thicker black spring so siked cant wait till i get them
Old 04-11-2007, 08:35 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: mashn76

hey ehroof, thanks for the help. the 5/16 pin was too big had to use like a 5/32. the 5/16 wouldnt even fit inside the clutch bell. and after all the work it payed off cuz its great. much much better than stock. i have a couple minuite clip, its not long cuz my camera battery went dead on me. i need a lil more room to really open it up too. im putting a assoc. rpm pipe and hpi header on too. i will have many more clips coming soon. we should get a thread going of videos of everyones rides with a list of all mods and upgrades. that would be great. you da man ehroof.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xe_UqM2EkHc

-------------

tornado xp, volcano sv, and tsunami should arrive this weekend.
nice video bro, sorry about the pin mix up, i thought it was a 5/16. that pipe and header will make a nice difference in power and sound
Old 04-11-2007, 08:40 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: bryonp

ehroof i need help i just bought 2 tornado xl's with 16 single speed i was talking to hawk and he said as soon as i get them i need to change the clutch spring to the traxxas 4146x and a hpi bell housing 15 to 20 tooth vented clutch bell he recomended a 17 if i change these will the stock spurgear be ok or will i have to change this 2 what do you recomend and can i buy this at my lhs i havent got the cars yet i just ordered them tonight im excited i use to race on raod serpent but that was like 10 years ago and no kids LOL but now this is all i can afford for dad to have fun im just woried out of the box its going to be broke part city and total disapointment that scars me on my budget but for $99 i cant complain thanks for your help in advance

definately get the hpi clutch bell, i would say 15 tooth is good and get the traxxas 4146x spring, use the stock clutch shoes not the ones that come with the spring. You will have a lot of fun with your buggys, just go over the screw and make sure they are tight.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:08 PM
bryonp

do i need to get the new hpi bell and trax spring even though im getting the new shockwave buggy that has a new black stiff spring installed and a steel bell already red cat cameron tech said no i dont because the old bell was aluminum and it would get hot and brake the spring but the new one is good to go he said what do you think and also i was told buy a couple of racers to use the stock glow plug to break it in and then change it with the os a3 plug because its hotter thanks for the help and is there a proper break in procedure tread you could direct me to since when i ask other people i got 500 answers all different same with the how to shut your car off pinch the line or run the nitro out...
Old 04-12-2007, 12:07 AM
bad630

I have run ten tanks threw my new shockwave teeth on the gears still look good no problem with spring idles fine don't like the servo placement the throttle lever hangs on the motor I have to bump the brake to get it back to idle.I like the way my xp is set up better it has no problems getting hung for the price you can't beat it have fun.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
mashn76

nice video bro, sorry about the pin mix up, i thought it was a 5/16. that pipe and header will make a nice difference in power and sound
[/quote]

thanks ehroof, i did put them on later that day and also broke out the tornado xp after it sat for a month or so and had to tune it in a lil. i took some video of them. lost my camera man though lol. but it shows a lil of the durability of the volcano. i was reading some threads and saw people bashing redcats, mainly in the speed thread. they say they are junk. lmfao. i guess these are people that dont have one or havent been around them. i have friends that have other brands like traxxas, ofna, etc. and they are really is no difference in speed and durability. well i guess the difference that i see is they can say they have a major brand and paid 500 or so bucks on them. the tornado xp hangs right along with the ofna ultra comp which is even a 1/8 buggy with a .26 motor. i guess the only thing i can see is his tires a bigger and that helps off road. he even has a tunes pipe and my xp is completely stock except for the front shock tower, i bent the original one. oh yea, which anyone upgrading this, you will need longer ball screws that fasten the shock to the tower as the factory ones are too short and the nut comes off. any lhs will have them.

ehroof, i have a tsunami coming and it should be here this weekend or early next week, any suggestions. i know im changing the clutch bell for sure. and will be getting the assoc. rpm pipe and hpi header for it and also for my xp. thanks again for all the help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LYMflVHOls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3E-TRByOtk
Old 04-12-2007, 10:26 AM
ehroof

good videos bro, the tsunami is a great truck, just change to the 13/18 clutch bell and the spring and the other upgrades you mentioned and you should be fine, i like mine and its runs good.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:31 AM
ehroof

one thing i did with the tsunami, i moved the shocks further out to make it wider and sit lower, gave it better cornering and no flipping.
Old 05-28-2007, 07:10 PM
jcervantes11
My Feedback: (8)

ok so spring one end attach to the other end of the spring hook, then slide it unto the grove and thats it right, it is only wrap around right without attaching to the shoe right, just wrap around?
Old 05-28-2007, 07:16 PM
jcervantes11

also i forgot to mention when i took out the clutch bell, spring pop off, so it was loose?
Old 05-29-2007, 03:20 PM
naviuk

Hi

Yip the clutch spring is just a wrap around, make sure it sits nicely otherwise you'll be opening it up again to replace it or to reattach it...

good luck
Old 05-29-2007, 04:15 PM
jcervantes11

so its not hooked on the clutch shoe? spring hook attach to the end of spring? I think the hook is a bit to weak. No good dunno what if i soldier it?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:38 PM
naviuk

nope not on the clutch shoe, because remember the clutch shoe is going to pull apart when you get to some decent rev's to pull off...

I had that issue, i bent the wire alittle to make a more of a hook, it lasted for quite some time and then snapped where i had bent it.

try see if you can do smaller movements to make a better hook, as long s it;s going around basically 90degree from where it joins then you should be fine. the clutch doesn;t not move a heck of alot, but as the shoes wear out it will expand more...
Old 05-29-2007, 11:52 PM
mashn76

anyone have an earthquake? i need a new clutch bell and spurr gear. what should i go with? the factory replacements? if so what gear do i need as i do not have a manual and im not sure what to get. also, what are some mods that i can do to this truck? whats compatible?

----------------------------------
earthquake, tornado xp, tsunami, volcano sv
Old 05-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Here is the stock clutchbell http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...ssembly/Detail
Here is the gear http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...ig-gear/Detail
There has been a few cases where the clutchbells are coming off the earthquakes and going into the gas tanks. They dont use a big enough washer and the clutchbell will slip off in time. Just a note.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:29 AM
ehroof

edit
Old 05-30-2007, 03:46 PM
jcervantes11

thank you, but spring ordered alone, next the big gear, i'll pm soon them i end up sending to red cat for repair.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:07 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

ok. Ihave the springs for the 1/8th scale separate also. Just let me know.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:05 AM
Atomik Havoc

Hey you crazy off road addicts! just thought id join in. iVE HAD MY TRUCK GOING FOR A WHILE NOW I HAVENT COUNTED HOW MUCH FUEL BUT ONE BIG BIG BOTTLE OF o'dONNELLS 2 SMALL BOTTLES OF THUNDER OR SUMFIN LIKE THAT AND NOW IVE JUST BOUGHT ANOTHER OOOOOPS SOZ ABOUT SHOUTING! :-s cant b bothered to deleat it though and 2 bottles of small fuel and my teeth and clutch are still fine. my main problem is i keep losing the bloody front dogbones all 3 of them (left, right and front drive shafts) grrrrrrrrrrrrrr there really pricey too! about £7 for 2 of each in a packet. ive replaced em over the weekend and ive lost em again by sunday afternoon. Ive had blinding fun though and im starting to keep up with the Inferno ST 2007 but the schummacher swift stomps all over mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.