Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 04:08 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ

ORIGINAL: jakcharles

Ok I need help I have a redcat lightning and it wont shift and sometimes get stuck in second gear. I was hoping someone could tell me if there is a upgraded 2 speed clutch. ( like from hpi etc)
as of right now, we cant find an upgrade yet, the best thing to do is wd40 the shifter and fool with the set screw, you may need to tighten it a little if its staying stuck in 2nd gear.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:12 PM
jakcharles
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks ehroof, Your a real be help and the firestorm clutch shoe's work great!!! Check out my lightnnig in my gallery.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
ehroof

nice body bro, i like that bmw body, i have one for my rs4, silver though, i like the red better.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:02 PM
jakcharles

Enroof, I have another question. Since I have changed my clutch shoes to the one from the HPI firestorm I noticed that it shifted the first couple of times when it was supposed to. But now it changes to soon like as soon as the rpm starts going up. I thought it was my tranny but I put in a new one and it still does it. Do I have to adjust the nut on the clutch since this these are new shoes? Please help
Old 09-04-2007, 05:06 PM
ehroof

you need to adjust the shifter, turn it clockwise a turn and see if it gets better
Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
jakcharles

ehroof, Ok I will give it a try but not at home at the moment. If this doesnt work what else could I do? Right now its at the factory setting which is flush with the clutch.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:24 PM
ehroof

sounds too far out, give it one full turn in and try, if better but not enough, do 1/2 turns. let me know how you make out.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:18 PM
jakcharles

ehroof, I turned it and it didnt change at all. When I first put the new tranny in it worked about 10 times and now it seems like its kicking in as soon as it starts rolling.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
ehroof

keep turning it in, 1/2 turns and test, if it is still doing it and you cant adjust anymore, you will need to replace it
Old 09-24-2007, 08:36 PM
firebird1967

what are the stock numbers for the 2 gears tranny gears on the tornado bb at tower hobbies??? Please reply i dont want to spent another 20 bucks on a new tranny!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:41 PM
ehroof

you cant get them from tower hobbies. here is a link to the gears:
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...le-gear/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...le-gear/Detail
Old 09-24-2007, 10:27 PM
SpiKeZxb

Hey guys I was wondering if anybody could help me on two problems:
1) I own a redcat lightning and have been trying to get it tuned properly but it seems like I just cant find the perfect needle settings. I started off with factory presets and had to richen up the high speed needle to break it in. After the break in process i started to lean in the needle in small increments until i did not see any improvements. Then i did the pinch test to properly adjust the low speed needle. Now whenever I run the car, when its about to shift to second gear the engine wants to stall. I measured the temp and was getting about 270. I then thought that the engine was too lean and decided to richen the mixture in small increments. I found that i got to a point where the mixture was so rich it also wanted to stall except this time it stalled when i pulled the trigger to 3/4. So i cant really find the sweet spot between being too lean not being able to shift to second and being too rich always wanting to stall from too much gas (most of the time the car displays traits of being too lean). Can anyone give me advice or tips on what i'm doing wrong? The process ive explained happened over a course of several days (i did not do all this tuning on one day) so the weather may be contributing to it.
2) While trying to tune it one day, i attempted to make high speed passes to get it to shift gears. I didnt realize until i got home that the front two tires were worn out. I found that my rear dogbone had been missing and the c cup had fallen off and was still on my chasis. I was wondering if the 55mm dogbone (part 02003) and the m3 grub screws (part 02098) were correct parts to buy. After analyzing the c cup and the rear diff it looked as if a screw held it in place so i figured that it may be a grub screw and was just wondering if i had the right part. Also, would anyone suggest me buying any other spare parts? Im ordering from clermontmotorsports.com and figured that the shipping would cost more than the parts alone so i might as well buy some spare parts to save on future shipping.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Bryan
Old 09-25-2007, 05:51 AM
ehroof

Hey Bryan,

We will have to get together one day, a bunch of us run in marine park and floyd bennet. Here's a couple of tuning videos for you, maybe they will help

1. http://youtube.com/watch?v=oSmMzpZM_As

2. http://youtube.com/watch?v=BJFsJAxNoRg
Old 09-25-2007, 01:33 PM
SpiKeZxb

ehroof,

When do you guys normally go there? I live about 15 minutes away (without traffic on the belt) but usually i go to ceasars bay (parkinglot for toysRus) at night because its big, empty, and well lit. Its also about 10 blocks away from my house. Let me know and I would love to come meet up.

In regards to the tuning, i basically followed those exact steps because i had watched those two videos while trying to tune my jato (before i even had the redcat lightning). Those instructions worked out perfectly for my jato but just didnt turn out well for the lightning. After making the small adjustments to the HSN until i saw no improvements, the engine had already displayed traits of being too lean because it wouldnt shift into second. Not quite sure what to do now. I considered buying the o.s cvr-x? to just drop in and start with a better quality more powerful engine but it wouldnt hurt to get this one going first. Could it be that i killed my engine when breaking it in? Im pretty sure i used a method similar to the traxxas instructions to break it in. However, the compression is horrible compared to the trx3.3. It has very little resistance and i can get from bdc to tdc with little force from my fingers.

Does anybody know about the parts i should buy that i mentioned in the earlier post?
Old 09-25-2007, 05:28 PM
ehroof

i will pm you with my infromation, we will meet up one day, the os is a direct fit but maybe you have a blockage in your tank, check behind the nipple on the tank and make sure your free flowing and the tank cap is sealing.
Old 09-27-2007, 02:04 PM
ehroof

its definately 02003 and i am pretty sure they are 3mm grubs
Old 10-06-2007, 09:35 PM
tyhodge07

i know i asked this a couple times, ive tried finding it, but i either skipped over it or just cant find it, lol.. but whats the hpi part number for the pull start that fits the vx-18 motor on the tornado?
Old 10-06-2007, 09:36 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I have a used one sitting around the store. If you pay shipping you can have it . I dont need it. If interested drop me an email at [email protected] and I will have my girl ship it out.
I will double check the one i have but i believe it will fit.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM
ehroof

hpi #15126

pull start for hpi nitrostar t-15
Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 PM
tyhodge07

the buggy is going tomorrow and im meeting the guy at the hobbytown right around the corner from me so he can buy the pull start right there.. thats why im asking, if i was keeping it than id be contacting you
Old 10-06-2007, 09:38 PM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: Clermont Hobby

I have a used one sitting around the store. If you pay shipping you can have it . I dont need it. If interested drop me an email at [email protected] and I will have my girl ship it out.

lol, your girl, you wish, you mean your employee, lol
Old 10-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

oh wait, I do have one. I am parting out a used tsunami. It has a pull start on it that was only used a couple times.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:12 AM
t@n

ehroof
can you tell me, how many turns for idle screw, high speed needle, and low speed needle should i turn from close for the best setting? because i think my i had turn it, and my car can't start. i'm very appreciate for your help
Old 11-18-2007, 07:44 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: t@n

ehroof
can you tell me, how many turns for idle screw, high speed needle, and low speed needle should i turn from close for the best setting? because i think my i had turn it, and my car can't start. i'm very appreciate for your help

the idle screw should be turned until the carb opening is 1mm, clockwise opens it and conter clockwise closes it.

the high needle should be 2 1/2 open from closed position.

the low needle should be flush with the collar thats around it, its usually silver or gold color.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:22 AM
t@n

thx for your reply.. i will try asap..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.