Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 06:26 PM
fedup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

I recently bought a redcat volcano one speed for my son. Worked great for about an hour and the pull cord broke. I ordered another one and it broke, Ordered another one, lol and it works just fine. Now I can not get the car to start. I tried to go through the mod details and i am pretty sure that i just messed all the settings up. The pictures are too small to see which is which. Please help. I am grateful. I have been trying to get this started for a week and a half straight.

Thank You
Old 05-06-2006, 06:35 PM
blackdogafd

Default RE: PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME

sorry to hear that man... try and put your needles back to factory settings, run the high speed needle all the way in till it stops and then turn it out about 2 1/2 turns then take you low speed needle and make it flush with the throttle lever then back it out about about an 1/8th of a turn. that should put you at the factory settings. give it a whirl and let us know..
Old 05-06-2006, 08:14 PM
fedup

Hello and thank you for the very helpful information. I did everything you said and it started. However once it started the car did not move very fast when I pushed the accelerator and it would die after reaching maybe 2 MPH. I tried to adjust the LSN and now the car won't start at all. I am sorry for the ignorance to RC cars that I have.
Old 05-06-2006, 08:29 PM
blackdogafd

ORIGINAL: fedup

Hello and thank you for the very helpful information. I did everything you said and it started. However once it started the car did not move very fast when I pushed the accelerator and it would die after reaching maybe 2 MPH. I tried to adjust the LSN and now the car won't start at all. I am sorry for the ignorance to RC cars that I have.
ok glad to hear it started!! ok put the LSN back where it was.. Its most likely the hsn take that and if it dies out try and richen (counterclockwise) it a 1/8 turn at a time if it helps great, if not lean it out some (clockwise)... these just take a little time to figure out..LOL!! try that.. also there is a idle speed needle under the air filter i believe if u turn out it brings the idle up if it dont turn it the other way lol... let me know
Old 05-06-2006, 09:04 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put the high end out 2 1/2 and the low end even with the colar then watch these video's dont worry about it not being the same car this is the same for every car with 2 needles. also if you are having a problem with it running you may need a new glow plug

http://www.dads-toy.com/tuning-part1.shtml

http://www.dads-toy.com/tuning-part2.shtml
Old 05-06-2006, 09:41 PM
fedup

Hello and thank you for all your help. I will post tomorrow if this worked or not. Hopefully it works. It should. The videos were great. Would any of this effect the car not moving anywhere near as fast as it should? I have checked the glow plug and it is fine, But good thinking. Thanks all. I will post back tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2006, 09:59 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if it is running too rich the engine will load up with fuel and not have the snap it should, if too lean it wont have enough fuel and the engine will starve for fuel, the low end takes care of the idle and take off, the high end is when your running wide open. i am sure you saw this with the video. good luck
Old 05-06-2006, 09:59 PM
bspate

The things I do and you should do....

1. Take out the glow plug and check it on the end of the igniter. Make sure it is glowing all the way to the end of the spiral. If it is not, it could be that your igniter needs recharging.

2. If your vehicle starts up but dies when you pull the igniter off, then your glow plug is bad. BUT....if your glow plug is good, it is a good idea to leave the igniter on the vehicle for about 5-10 seconds after it starts so the glow plug will stay hot as the engine heats up.

3. If you are having trouble starting the vehicle in the beginning when you have just put in fuel, then you need to prime the engine. You do this by putting your finger over the exhaust hole and pull the handle and watch the fuel move through the tube to the carburetor. Um....make sure not to have the igniter on the glow plug while you are doing this.

4. If you have filled the fuel tank ALL the way up, and you have tilted the vehicle, then you might have made fuel fill up the exhaust hose coming from the exhaust. Pinch the hose right next to the exhaust and pull it off and lift it and the fuel will go back into the tank. If there is fuel in this hose, it makes it difficult to start.

5. If the pull start feels really hard to pull, then you have flooded the engine and need to release some pressure. Pull out the glow plug and pull the handle a few times (with it still out) and it will pass the excess fuel on. Also, it is not necessary to pull the handle on the pull start any farther than about 12-14". With short, quick bursts, the engine should start if all the steps above are good. Pulling too far out and having the engine flooded are reasons for breaking pull starts!!

6. The MOST important thing........if you are having trouble getting the engine to stay started, then check your clutch spring!! A good idea is to get the vehicle off the ground and set it on a 2x4 piece of wood or a brick and if the wheels move when you pull the pull start, then the clutch spring is probably broken. BUT.....if you have your idle set too high, then the wheels can be moving also. Make sure that when the vehicle is running and sitting still, that you can hear a small tinging sound of the clutch shoes tapping the inside of the clutch bell housing. If you can, then all is good!!

7. Also.....like what everybody else has said, make sure to set the HSN and the LSN back to factory settings and check your idle setting too.

The problems I seem to still be having is parts falling off that have not been tightened down!! It's amazing how many things can come loose while running these things hard!!

GOOD LUCK!!

- bspate -