Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2006, 05:13 PM
chubbysuncle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Shocks

I just measured the shocks on the Tornado. They're 3 3/8" from end to end. The bottom is mounted with a m3 set screw thru a arm & top is a ball mount on the shock held to shock plate with M3 phillips screw. Volcano's use the same setup but the shocks are almost 4"
Old 05-15-2006, 05:32 PM
nicacus

not sure.. I will have to check when I get off work..
Old 05-15-2006, 05:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

chubby. if that's the case, t-maxx shocks would work on the Volcano, and the XL (front) shocks from a Stampede/Rustler would work well on the Tornado.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:13 PM
chubbysuncle

Thanks Thunderbird. I was just trying to fix the stock leaky shock on the Volcano and I BROKE THE F*@#ing thing!![:@]. I'm down to 3 rear shocks now![:@] I've got a Hobbytown near work, guess I'll be stopping by to see what they got. The stock shocks on the Tornado seem alot better. I'm not sure about the Redcat upgrade shocks. Wish someone I knew had them for a Volcano. It might be a patchwork be maybe it'll work.

Hey thunderbird, I found a set of 8 shocks on the Hobbytown website that fit a T-Maxx or E-maxx. Is the T-maxx you speak of the truck or the shock maker?? These are made by Dynamite. I'm gonna take a shock down with me to compare.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:59 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Maybe its your driving... need some practice... lmao Is your son out driving you? His car is holding up better haha.. Your parts are going out tomorrow.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:11 PM
chubbysuncle

NO!!![>:] I can kick his #$# all over. I haven't broke anything, while driving, the new truck. Just a beat shock that I finished off trying to fix. OH and a rear diff bearing full of FLORIDA sunshine!

OH BTW did you get a chance to checkout that rear engine bearing? It is mounted in a plate under the pull start. 4 screws.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: chubbysuncle

Thanks Thunderbird. I was just trying to fix the stock leaky shock on the Volcano and I BROKE THE F*@#ing thing!![:@]. I'm down to 3 rear shocks now![:@] I've got a Hobbytown near work, guess I'll be stopping by to see what they got. The stock shocks on the Tornado seem alot better. I'm not sure about the Redcat upgrade shocks. Wish someone I knew had them for a Volcano. It might be a patchwork be maybe it'll work.

Hey thunderbird, I found a set of 8 shocks on the Hobbytown website that fit a T-Maxx or E-maxx. Is the T-maxx you speak of the truck or the shock maker?? These are made by Dynamite. I'm gonna take a shock down with me to compare.
the T-/E-maxx are Traxxas trucks. the Dynamite shocks should do you pretty good

8 of em would be enough to keep for a set of four spares, lol. or you could go into the deal in halves with somebody else.

I did just remember this-you're gonna need to find some shock bushings to use the Maxx shocks, and that's kind of gonna be a chore... Try finding some HPI rear shocks for an RS4 MT or an HPI Nitro Rush.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:22 PM
chubbysuncle

Theres 8 shocks on the volcano. I was lookin at the setup earlier in this thread and I could probably make up some top spacers and bolt straight through. CoOL beans! Put on the good clothes kids we're goin' shoppin'!!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:41 PM
nicacus

will some like these work? two are longer than the others..

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-STAMPEDE-RUSTLER-SHOCKS-SHOCK-FRONT-REAR_W0QQitemZ6058307726QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting]http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAXXAS-STAMPEDE-RUSTLER-SHOCKS-SHOCK-FRONT-REAR_W0QQitemZ6058307726QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting[/link]

or like these ones?

[link=http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampede-billet-threaded-shocks-4-pcs-RED-Yellow-coils_W0QQitemZ6057383295QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem]http://cgi.ebay.com/Stampede-billet-threaded-shocks-4-pcs-RED-Yellow-coils_W0QQitemZ6057383295QQcategoryZ44028QQssPageN ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem[/link]
Old 05-16-2006, 01:37 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

I honestly wouldn't trust the GPM shocks as far as i could throw them. Had a set on my RC10GT. the Traxxas plastic bodies lasted the whole 8 years I had my old Stampede, and I beat the snot outta that thing:P

yeah, the rears for the Stampede/Rustler are the same length as the T-maxx's, the front shocks should be the length you need.
Old 05-16-2006, 09:45 AM
nicacus

So i will want two sets of the front shocks, and you mentioned I will need shock bushings as well?
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Right, but you're going to have to find a source for some really oddball shock bushings, which is why i also recommended the HPI shocks.

HPI's plastic shocks are cheap to fix, and have tons of parts available for them at almost all hobby shops

these are 4" long:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXM716&P=RF

these are just a hair under 3.5":
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM715&P=X
Old 05-16-2006, 01:47 PM
nicacus

awesome... I will see if i can find some of those locally.. thanks a ton man
Old 05-17-2006, 01:42 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie