Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

1/8 scale on road question for redcat

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

1/8 scale on road question for redcat

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:41 PM
Gotalightningvx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/8 scale on road question for redcat

I was wondering and this a direct question to eric from redcat have you ever thought of making a 1/8 scale on road car like the serpent 960 i mean that would just be awsome and it give more options for us on-road guys please take this request into concideration and if all ready are post some pic thanks i appriciate it.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Team Knowitall

Default RE: 1/8 scale on road question for redcat

1/8 On Road cars are usually not bought by guys that putz around out in the street like you and me, so actually we haven't considered it. 1/8 Onroads are also VERY difficult to build for not-much-money, and the niche is usually VERY VERY small, and from the very few posts i've seen by 1/8 onroad car owners, for the most part the customers in that segment are fairly brand-loyal.

Now, I've honestly only even met one person in real life that actually owned a 1/8 on road car at all (and that should tell you how rare they are), and it was his first and only 1/8 on road car, so my view may or may not be skewed on such things. I've never lived in an area that nitro on road racing thrived, let alone 1/8 scale, so again, this is an area out of my expertise.

Who knows, maybe there's a giant untapped market for inexpensive 1/8 on road cars. If we get into it, I suppose we'll find out.

Right now my main concern is getting the cars that we have perfect and making our customers the happiest RC owners in RC, and then we can look into other segments we can play with. I'd much rather get the clutchbell, clutch spring, and lack of aluminum parts issues solved before we persue any other markets.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Gotalightningvx

thanks eric again i apperciate it. if not 1/8 scale what about other on road cars i know about the new truggy, vulcano pro, and buggy but you guy have only made one on road car the lightning vx that i own ...... but if you guys keep making off road cars there wont be anything to satisfy my need for speed and my expectations thank you again eric...... can you post a pic of where the motor sits and the gapin between the gear and the clutch bell thanks
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Team Knowitall

That's almost impossible to take a picture of on anything but a competition onroad car (1/8 onroad and 1/10 belt drive on road) or a 2wd stadium truck...

basically just loosen your engine mount screws on the bottom of the car, and slide the clutchbell as far into the spurs as you can. take a narrow strip of notebook paper, fold it in half, and turn the gears until it's completely between the first gear spur and pinion (pinion being the gear on the clutchbell)

make sure the engine is sitting parallel to the rear driveshaft, and that the pinions are fully meshed with the spurs (still with the paper in there), and tighten your engine mount screws down.

rotate your spurs until your paper is once again liberated, and roll your car backwards. if it binds, it's a hair too tight, so repeat the process, but if it doesn't bind (but binds with the paper in there), then you're good