Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Fresh engine

Old 05-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Nexous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fresh engine

OK, i am totally new to the scene and have a brand new 1/10 redcat .16 on-road.
I checked over the entire manual it came with to make sure everything was correct setup-wise with the car from what the book said. got a charged glow starter %20 HPI fuel. brandnew battries. all ready to go... but am having a bit of engine trouble.. i finally got it to start after flooding and de-flooding the engine a few times. (n00b). my mistakes. but i am able to get it started with ease now but it rev's out and wants to just fly off without any throttle applied at all. i looked over the book again about fuel mixture. (lean/rich) idle screws. and i cant find anything that has factory settings. i know its not set right and dont want to fry out my engine before i even get to use it. so after about three starts. the most i left it run was about 5 secs, before stopping fuel flow to kill the engine. any help.?? remember. brand new engine. out of box.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:59 PM
Popper252

Default RE: Fresh engine

Hey buddy, welcome to the forums. Check out this [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4207842/tm.htm]THREAD[/link] about half way down. I've got a picture of all the different adjustment screws and the factory settings. It sounds to me like your idle screw is open too much and even at idle the engine is getting enough gas to take off. Also play with your throttle control tab on your radio. You want it so that when it's idleing the throttle should be closed all the way and the brakes aren't engaged.
If you have anymore questions let us know. That manual sucks...
Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 PM
wildspeed

Be sure to check the switches on your transmiter
Old 05-28-2006, 04:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Nexous

%20 HPI fuel.
First, I'd get rid of that fuel myself. If your LHS carries it, get a 20% race blend Wildcat, O'donnell, or something else. the HPI fuel will be OK for breaking in your engine, but beyond that...well...just keep the HPI fuel for breaking engines in. You'll break in a few in your day, hopefully

brandnew battries. all ready to go... but am having a bit of engine trouble.. i finally got it to start after flooding and de-flooding the engine a few times. (n00b). my mistakes. but i am able to get it started with ease now but it rev's out and wants to just fly off without any throttle applied at all.
I don't remember which it should be, clockwise or counterclockwise, for a rotary carb, but you need to set your idle speed screw. you want to set it and the low speed needle so the engine idles as low as it possibly can without shutting off. I personally like my engines to be ablet o idle for 10 seconds...but that's all personal preference.

Don't worry, it's not nearly as hard as it seems right now and the first thing you'll see on the new website is updated instructions, and pretty soon I'll try to have a tuning tutorial set up.

Good luck man, and if you have any problems, feel free to PM me, or use one of my messenger links at the bottom of my post (AIM, YAHOO, OR MSN, I use 'em all)
Old 05-28-2006, 11:13 AM
DiTi

anticlockwise = lower RPM (smaller carb-opening at idle)
clockwise = higher RPM (larger carb-opening at idle)
Old 05-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Popper252

ORIGINAL: DiTi

anticlockwise = lower RPM (larger carb-opening at idle)
clockwise = higher RPM (smaller carb-opening at idle)
That doesn't make sense, shouldn't it be the other way around?

Smaller carb opening means a lower rpm while a large one means higher.

Right?
Old 05-28-2006, 01:13 PM
DiTi

ooops :P

i'll edit that

thanx Popper
Old 05-28-2006, 02:45 PM
Nexous

Thanks guys. got it broken in. and was doing awsome. i started hearing a clanking sound and new right away it was not good. right away i brought it in and looked it over. it seems my gears got chewed to ****. so i got not power to wheels. i new right away that the engine gear set was not engaging. seems a screw and or washer came off. i have a two speed and think what happened was when the car tried shifting into second it came off. now my throttle gears are chewed and i need to replace them. aswell as the engine gear set. any ideas on compatable parts.? [link=http://www.redcatracing.com/vehicle_parts.cfm?vehicle_id=5] this is the car i got. but i cannot get parts from them due to living in canada. they have no international shipping options. any ideas on what happened how to fix or any help would be much appreciated.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:14 PM
Nexous

i know its a ****ty picture but i will get a better camera from a firend to show in detail.
but the piece that has the white arrow in it is the one that came bassically right off. if i was able to move all the car parts away from it, it would just come off. this free floating as much as it has caused my throttle gears to become chewed. figured i would give a little more info. seeing as how you guys are being very helpful. thanks again.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Popper252

If you need parts try clermontmotorsports.com or topspeedtoys.com . I think either of them will ship to canada.
It's weird that the screw just completely came out. Do you happen to still have it?
Try removing the upperplate of the car to see if you can get a better look at it. I think that'd be easier then removing the whole engine. But anyways let us know if we can help in anyway.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:48 PM
Nexous

no i dont have the screw anymore. its took me a while to figure it out.. i thought it might have been stuck in second gear but after I relized that it was free floating. i took the front end off and looked at it. and yea. its missing. while i was driving it to try and get it our of second thats when i her the clank and saw the engine gear set not looking right.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Team Knowitall

Just for the record, the part number for the shims is 81069

I just found 'em diggin around in the warehouse, it wasn't listed in the manual.
Old 06-06-2006, 08:49 AM
dbobo101

lol something like that happend to me but insted of the belling flying off i hit a bump that knocked the eng out of linestriping all my gears mmmm i fixed it and got a new clutch bell and now my front ubrella geardor the diffy blew out lol so now its 2 wheel drive in the back, at 1st i thought it was just a crapy card with cheap parts then i realised hold on.. its a complacated piece of fine tuned eqipment so i really understand, its more fun to fix it then it is to drive it, the driveing is like the toping on the cake, after you make repares add stuff and start it up and watch it hall ass down the road with the smell of nitro its a wonder why its not a main stream sport and not some back water hobby

anyway TY redcat for makeing a kick ass car!
Old 06-06-2006, 08:53 AM
Nexous

Thanks again redcat. hopfully this will work.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:32 PM
volcano

will the narvossi p5.21 engine fit on the truck the 1/10 th scale truck?
Old 08-23-2006, 02:04 PM
jguitarsandcars

I don't think so dawg...The .21's are Big blocks and the .12's-.18's (and I understand some .20's) are all small blocks...