Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Plastic part repiar??!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 03:47 PM
chubbysuncle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic part repiar??!!

My son broke the C Hub on the Volcano on the beating day. I borrowed one from the Tornado since the OWB wasn't grabbing on the pullstart. Wel when I pulled the engine to get some pics of the clutch I roughened up the shaft for the OWB. It works again! But I still need a C hub. Started thinkin and I think I found a fix till the new stuff gets here. I used my soldering iron and melted the two pieces back together. Bonded pretty well but I went a little further and used a black zip tie as filler rod and welder it up good!!. It looks like heck but hey if it holds?!! I'm gonna see about running it later if the rain holds but definatly tomarrow. I will update. I dunno if anyone's ever tried this but it looks like it may keep me runnin!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69560.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	471088   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa84980.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	471089   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34628.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	471090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf95341.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	471091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ep86154.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	471092  
Old 06-03-2006, 03:54 PM
Popper252

Default RE: Plastic part repiar??!!

Haha that's the ugliest thing i've ever seen
But like you said, if it holds then it doesn't matter.
Have you tried heating up a paperclip and then sticking it into the plastic, sort of like a back bone, to keep the two pieces held together? I think something like that may work also. Good idea with the zip tie though.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:01 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, its the frankenstein of fixes, hope it work for you.
Old 06-03-2006, 04:56 PM
chubbysuncle

Yeah..LOL I told ya it looked like crap!! I did think about trying that Popper but you'd need at least two people and if you f-up your done! I couldn't figure out how to get the wire hot enough to put it in both pieces of plastic at the same time. I just had the hub mounted on the car held the top piece and sandwiched the flat iron in between when it started melting the 2 sides I pulled the iron out and VIOLA! glued back as 1. I just got back in from running it, well sorta.. The OWB puked again.[:'(] The hub held up fine, at least on the road. I was burnin up and down the rd powerslideing ect. But she was running a little lean. (since I pulled out the needle and forgot the setting when I put it together [:@]. Anyway it stalled when I stopped to richen it up and the OWB won't grab at all to restart . OH WELL!! But hey give it a try on a broken part. Even to have laying around as a backup. OH if you try it do it in a well ventalated area!! Please!! I would imagine the fumes are bad for ya!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:50 AM
jackkpl

I also repaired lots of parts with my soldering iron. First went front bearing hub, then C -hub, then other bearing hub and recently i fu..ed up second diff gear box (lost control , my toy smashed into some car ). My patent for fixing plastic is to melt a bit of plastic to hold 2 broken parts, then make a gap in place that it broke and start putting some melted plastic that we took out while making a gap. I also use some broken spur for plastic transplant to make a bigger contact area in a place it broke. For me it works really well, sometimes other parts brake, not the ones i repaired . One word of notice, do it somewhere , where u have loads of fresh air, otherwise you can smother family and friends
Old 06-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Team Knowitall

LOL it looks no worse than any of my cars do right now

Aesthetics only matters on shelf queens, if it holds, it holds Nice fix, chub
Old 06-07-2006, 07:02 PM
chopperdog6

I own a plastic welder.a soldering iron does work almost as good,but if you want your weld to really hold melt some stainless steel screen mesh in the plastic over your weld and it should be almost indestructable.
Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 PM
TThib

I know this is old, but i figured it was worth linking the plastic welder from harbor freight... cheap money, might come in handy.

[link=http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=41592]Plastic Welder[/link]
Old 01-04-2008, 12:06 AM
twomanytoys

Time for you to get the aluminum c hubs. My son drove his tsunami into my car at full throttle and thats all that broke on his. Surprised to see that was all.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39056.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	841739  
Old 01-04-2008, 07:31 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

Time for you to get the aluminum c hubs. My son drove his tsunami into my car at full throttle and thats all that broke on his. Surprised to see that was all.
Yea get the aluminum, I have them in my tornado XP and the thing is bullet proof.