Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

Old 06-15-2006, 11:04 PM
warriorking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

ORIGINAL: DownStroke

ORIGINAL: Redcat Support

Regardless of top speed claims, the Hurricane is a damn fine product.

Nobody on this forum EVER said it would go 80 mph.
Yes, Redcat Racing says it will do 80+ mph in the banner ads it runs on this and many other forums, so you're mistaken. I think you're missing my point, however (as are a few other agenda-driven opinions in this thread). If a consumer clearly can't trust Redcat Racing about the speed claims, then there's reason to believe your company is being untruthful about other aspects of the car. does it really have a .27 engine, or do I have to break out the caliper to measure it? Does it really have T6 aluminum, or do I have to get the Rockwell tester and test it? If speed is an important factor to a consumer, it doesn't matter if you don't care about speed, THEY DO. It may well be a good product, but you lose all credibility and any footing to make any claims about the quality of the product you represent when you can't even be honest about a very basic performance claim.

Any of you that are making excuses for this type of misrepresentation are hypocrites. If anyone lied about (misrepresented, embellished... pick whatever word you want) a fact you considered important to your purchase and it was over-exaggerated to the tune of 50 percent, you'd be pissed and want your money back. It's incomprehensible that anyone could defend this... it never ceases to amaze me how far someone will allow their moral compass to wander when there's an agenda, a fragile ego, or a profit to be made. Let's be honest... the reason these claims are made is because Redcat Racing doesn't want to compete with other manufacturers on features, value and benefits. I believe they're hoping to short circuit an honest evaluation and comparison against other products by making these outrageous claims. If speed matters to an unsuspecting customer, then they might overlook other factors because if they're to believe what Redcat claims about their product, then this buggy should ensure that nothing else will beat him across the parking lot. That might mean more to that person than other factors so the "research" ends... or so he thinks.

The bottom line is, Redcat Racing and any dealers who repeat this impossible claim, are lying to their customers. I think this type of conduct is reprehensible and I'm calling BS. If Redcat is going to make the claim, then they have to be prepared to defend it. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for something that resembles honesty in advertising, and as luck would have it, federal consumer protection laws agree.

You must work for one of those so called major name brand RC car company.
Well do you?, oh what the heck like you would blow your cover and out yourself.
What happened Redcat holding you guys ***** to the flame.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:26 PM
t_wright
My Feedback: (2)

My hat off to you DownStroke. I agree with you 100%. It never ceases to amaze me how companies advertise and sell what I feel to be junk, and have no problem with it. I get people in my store all the time with these things and can't get them to run, need parts, or some other problem. In most cases, I try my best to help them out if I can. But when one of them asked why I didn't carry them, I had to stab myself with an x-acto to keep from laughing at him. I told him that I have standards that must be met for me to carry a line of product, and one that blatantly lies in their advertising, doesn't cut it.

The biggest problem I see with this kind of product is that for every dissatisfied customer who feels ripped off or felt they have gotten less than advertised, there are 10 more waiting to take their place. Let's face it, how many people actually research a product before buying it? They read the advertisement, look at the price, and if it even resembles something else that my be of quality, then they buy it. Redcat, when you say that if a person buys a product based on advertising they are crazy; then what is the purpose of advertising if not to get a customer to buy your product over others? I realize that you already said you can't do anything about it, and I can only assume you are telling the truth. If it really bothers you that bad that they lie in the advertisement, then quit. I have left better jobs than I have now over my not willing to sacrifice my morale standard.

BTW Redcat, this is by no means a slam on you, I just get frustrated with all the garbage out there that is being sold while hobby shops are closing left and right. One day when the hobby shops are gone, who is going to help the customers with their new toy whey they have a problem? Guess they will just have to box it up and send it back to the place they purchased it from, and wait 2 to 4 weeks to get it back.

I'm done venting now.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:54 PM
Popper252

Please refer to my previous statement.

It's only good fortune that their average customer isn't smart enough to know or care that they're getting lied to...
Look, I'm sorry that you're so dense in the fact that you can't get over a simple mistake when you see one. So the advertised speeds are wrong. Big deal. I've seen much worse things in my life.

Don't sit there and knock my intelligence or anyone elses for that matter. Who the hell do you think you are?
Honestly though, this really isn't worth it. So just let it go. There are more important things to ***** and moan about.
Old 06-16-2006, 12:48 AM
bluecaka69

get em
Old 06-16-2006, 09:41 AM
Team Knowitall

Regardless of top speed claims, the Hurricane is a damn fine product.

Nobody on this forum EVER said it would go 80 mph.
Yes, Redcat Racing says it will do 80+ mph in the banner ads it runs on this and many other forums, so you're mistaken. I think you're missing my point, however (as are a few other agenda-driven opinions in this thread). If a consumer clearly can't trust Redcat Racing about the speed claims, then there's reason to believe your company is being untruthful about other aspects of the car. does it really have a .27 engine, or do I have to break out the caliper to measure it?
It does indeed have a .27..I haven't measured it, but the bore is noticeably larger than that of my Mach 427 or XTM .247.

Does it really have T6 aluminum, or do I have to get the Rockwell tester and test it? If speed is an important factor to a consumer, it doesn't matter if you don't care about speed, THEY DO. It may well be a good product, but you lose all credibility and any footing to make any claims about the quality of the product you represent when you can't even be honest about a very basic performance claim.
As far as I know, it's 6061. I haven't put the pointy little cone to it, so I don't know for absolute sure, but the chassis plate is similar in thickness and strength to my X-Terminator's (which is 6061 as well)

I never refuted the fact that the claim wasn't true. However...I had discussed this at one point, and they didn't worry about it because the new website is going up in 2 weeks.

The other side of it is...I've been an active member of RCU for right around 2 years, and have made 6,000+ posts...and I pay attention to the ads. I haven't seen a Redcat banner ad that makes the 80+ mph claim.

Any of you that are making excuses for this type of misrepresentation are hypocrites. If anyone lied about (misrepresented, embellished... pick whatever word you want) a fact you considered important to your purchase and it was over-exaggerated to the tune of 50 percent, you'd be pissed and want your money back. It's incomprehensible that anyone could defend this... it never ceases to amaze me how far someone will allow their moral compass to wander when there's an agenda, a fragile ego, or a profit to be made. Let's be honest... the reason these claims are made is because Redcat Racing doesn't want to compete with other manufacturers on features, value and benefits. I believe they're hoping to short circuit an honest evaluation and comparison against other products by making these outrageous claims. If speed matters to an unsuspecting customer, then they might overlook other factors because if they're to believe what Redcat claims about their product, then this buggy should ensure that nothing else will beat him across the parking lot. That might mean more to that person than other factors so the "research" ends... or so he thinks.

The bottom line is, Redcat Racing and any dealers who repeat this impossible claim, are lying to their customers. I think this type of conduct is reprehensible and I'm calling BS. If Redcat is going to make the claim, then they have to be prepared to defend it. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for something that resembles honesty in advertising, and as luck would have it, federal consumer protection laws agree.

ORIGINAL: Popper252

I didn't buy my buggy expecting it to do 80mph. I'm not an idiot. It's a buyers beware market. If you don't do the research then you're just being a bad consumer. Yes I read the part about not everyone can be an expert in everything. Since when did comparison shopping require you to be an expert? Arg... I could rant forever about this but I'm just going to drop it.

What I did expect when I bought this car was a good beginners nitro r/c vehicle that I could learn a lot about and have a good time with.
I got exactly that.
Thank you redcat. Mission Accomplished.
Please refer to my previous statement.

It's only good fortune that their average customer isn't smart enough to know or care that they're getting lied to...
Old 06-17-2006, 08:52 AM
Nexous

ok. im going to close this topic once and for all with this post.
ok all this advertisment talk about 80+ MPH on a buggy...
Well i would have to say that the buggy is capable of 80+ but not stock out of the box.
BUT IT CAN DO 80+ MPH!!
just think about that for a second...

ok. now that you thought about it maybe you can grasp this...
how many nitro cars out there are advertised with the speed they can do.. well who ever does the advertising makes a guesstmate
of a round about speed that the car is capable of.. CAPABLE OF!! that does not mean you can rip it outa the box, fill er up and be doing 80 on your second tank of fuel.
I do beleave it is capable of going 80+
but it cant do 80 stock. so its all up the the driver to make his/her car run how they like it.
So the advertising part you can do nothing about. they are totally within there rights to advertise that.
Basically Redcat says what there car can do so people will buy it.. it is a little sneaky on there behalf but like RCS said. there is nothing he can do.
If you dont like it they dont buy it...
you can go buy the HPI that says 50+, but you see how they say 50+ i have a friend who has his going faster that 50, and if he wanted could more than likly get it going 80+ but do they advertise that??? NO! because they are a bigger company who has had there problems like this before and probably retracted there advertising statment because they got tons of emails about this topic too.
Maybe redcat will retract there statment too.
BUT IT CAN DO 80+ you just need the time and money.
so for all you n00bs like me. just enjoy your new hobby and be happy with your car/truck/buggy. If your here complaining about your car not going as fast as advertised, then you either have too much time on your hands, or you are an advid RC hobbiest and would not be here in the first place, you would already be able to answer your own question.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
bspate

ORIGINAL: Popper252

Look, I'm sorry that you're so dense in the fact that you can't get over a simple mistake when you see one. So the advertised speeds are wrong. Big deal. I've seen much worse things in my life.
Oh my goodness......I expected better of you Popper. A "simple mistake"?? A simple mistake is when someone doesn't realize they did something wrong!! Redcat, Himoto, and the other cheap-ass companies marketing these piece of crap buggies KNOW exactly what they are advertising on their sites!! So, that is not a mistake!! The next time you get ripped off by a company that doesn't give you what you paid for, remember this moment and your statement!! Hey......big deal, right??

FALSE ADVERTISING IS FALSE ADVERTISING!!!!!

I can't wait until Redcat and these other companies get their ass busted for these stupid claims and get shut down for stealing people's money with their inferior products!!!!! From what I've discussed with others in the business, this is coming....

You guys on this forum supporting these cars need to wake up like I did and get a real name brand buggy and see just how bad these cheap cars are. You will be totally surprised with the quality and durability of name brand products and when you can run your car for more than five minutes without breaking something or having to replace something. I am so happy now that I have purchased better quality cars, and not wasted anymore of my money.

- bspate -
Old 06-17-2006, 10:58 AM
bluecaka69

you all need to F^&Iking drop it who gives a rats A%% if it doesnt do 80 out of the box thats not redcats claim is it- thier site says ABLE doesnt say it WILL -ABle means drop a new engine and other goodies 60%nitro and several other upgrades- it would be false if they said WILL DO but it doesnt it says ABLE TO DO -get off your high horse and go fly a kite -who in there right mind want a buggy thats goes 80mph good god there fun as hell at 40-50 mph -give up and quit bit&%ing about everything obviously you dont have a life and have nothing better to do but complain bout stupid SH** if you feel the need to pursue your quest do it somewere else so we dont have to listen to this crap any longer
have a good day
Old 06-17-2006, 01:25 PM
warriorking

Well said Blue . Bravo Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2006, 06:01 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys, I made a thread about this at least 3 months or more ago. I do agree about the false advertising. There is no way my single speed volcano would do 60+mph. Redcat should really change their advertising. If i were to go to their website and read about the cars and trucks, i would purchase one thinking the able to speed was kinda accurate to their actual speed. My volcano was able to get 31mph out of the box (i have a radar gun) not close to the able to do 60+mph. Not saying they arent fun but they are way off on the speed and should change it. I also have the traxxas jato, it is advertised as able to reach speeds of 55+mph, i was able to get 51mph out of it with the radar gun. I can live with the 4mph difference, maybe i could lean it a little, use 30% nitro instead of 20%. I like MOST of you guys here and dont want you to think i am bashing you's, i just think redcat should change thier advertising to a more realistic number.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:38 PM
bluecaka69

see i can agree with you on that note but like i said there is no need for htis guy to be going to the extreme he is about fcc or whateverlike you said we argued this battle a while ago
glad to see ya back better you than some one else HAHA
Old 06-17-2006, 07:15 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks bro, i agree, they are a hobby, toys, no need to go to the extreme about a speed claim, i never expected the truck or buggy to do 60+mph.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:26 PM
Nexous

just my thought exactly Blue..

bspate, what is this so called brand name buggy you bought... put your car where your mouth is.. lets see it.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:12 AM
t_wright

Nexous,

That statement you made about it being capable of 80+ MPH. I would like to see a video of that feat. Here is the advertisement that is on the website. "With a powerful .27 Nitro Engine the power is unstoppable and ABLE to reach speeds in excess of 80MPH+." This is a direct quote from the website and there is no asterisk at the end of the statement with a side note saying "with modifications". This would make most non-R/Cers think that it is able to achieve this speed in stock form. IE: misleading or false advertising.

I would challenge you or anyone for that matter to make this car go 80+ MPH in consecutive passes going in opposite directions, just like the full scale cars have to. All this with the stock vehicle, as the advertisement says, able, not capable. We would like a video of course. I'll let you in on the reason why I know you won't be able to. I've tried. Guess what happens to tires at about 65-70 mph? They like to explode off the rims. So I find 80+ mph rather difficult to believe.

If I can expound on your statement a bit. I know an F-15 pilot, so I can claim that my cars are able to go mach 2.2 because I could have him put it in the plane with him? Seems to me to be just about as silly. I wonder if you are the guy selling these on E-bay that a customer was griping to me about. He was telling me that he contacted the seller of the car and was told just exactly what you said. "Well, it can do 80+... if you modify it." Needless to say, he wasn't all too happy. I guess some people actually don't like being lied to.

Personally, if people want to buy these things, more power to them. I just get tired of people coming in to my store with these things and giving me grief because they won't go the speeds advertised. What the heck am I supposed to do? I don't sell the darn things. Why is this my fault? It would seem to me that this all stems from the fact that there are many people that obviously believe that the claims made about the speeds are actually true, until they get them. Everyone has to start somewhere and these are sold at a very inexpensive price, I would think that would be enough reason for people to buy them; no need to lie about speed. That to me is just inexcusable.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:06 PM
fingers73

Yeah, really. What if you bought the thing and they advertised it at 369.99 and your credit card was billed for 449.99? Wouldn't that make you a bit upset. Then call them and ask them why you where charged 449.99 instead of 369.99 to have them tell you "well you can get them for that price, just not from me." Then imagine getting on to an on-line forum and complaining about it and have people tell you "did you really think you were only gonna pay 369.99? You can't really expect to only pay 369.99."

Of course you should, and do you know why? Because it was advertised that way.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:36 PM
Nexous

What if you bought the thing and they advertised it at 369.99 and your credit card was billed for 449.99?
well thats just stupid. now your not thinking... what they claim would be like saying. "349.99 and up". which would make whatever your going to buy between 349.99 and whatever is higher they are selling the product for.
its up to you to make sure you buy what your getting at what ever price you see. correct.?
well be able to do somthing is like saying this 10 yr old biy is able to life 200lbs, but not after he has grow and made himself be able to lift 200 lbs.
im not saying its NOT false advertising, its just curretly within there legal rights to post such a thing. thats up to them. do i agree with it?.. NO! i dont. but these cars /trucks/buggies are very tempermental. you say your tires explode.. Glue a set on. lol
i will try to prove you wrong by making one of these go 80+ might take a bit. im not going to lie. i dont have any extra cash lying around. but i will give it a try. and im going to say it again. it say able. so i more than likly think that they cannot go 80+ out of the box. but technically thats not there claim. so its a battle of words till redcat changes what there going to advertise.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:01 PM
-Inverted-

and if you're not gonna buy a Redcat, get out of my forum
LOL, I'll buy a Redcat just to talk to this guy, nice to know some people have a sense of humor. By the way, Ive argued with DownStroke in the mini section before, he needs to face the facts that he's not always right, he tends to use excuses, OFTEN.

-Inv-
Old 06-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Team Knowitall

You already know me Inverted:P
Old 06-20-2006, 05:57 PM
-Inverted-

You already know me Inverted:P
I did not know that![&:]
Old 06-20-2006, 06:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Dang, Redcat Support is a handsome man[&:]
Old 06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
TopSpeedToys

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Dang, Redcat Support is a handsome man[&:]

that's just brokeback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Popper252

I call shenanigans!!!
Old 06-20-2006, 06:50 PM
tat2d2dope

I also call shenanigans!!!
and my tornado xp will do 93 mph.
with 3% nitro, a bad glow plug, in first gear, on greased up glass, up hill, in the snow.
and in a box with a fox, and in a house with a mouse.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:12 PM
chubbysuncle

FYI....My son got arrested doing 87mph in a 25 with his Volcano. [:@]
Old 06-20-2006, 09:17 PM
Popper252

lol
need any bail money or do you have it under control?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.