Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

Old 04-10-2010, 02:56 PM
jigawatt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

There is one particular company that advertises the speed on nearly all of their products... I think their boxes all state the speed now too. Unfortunately, new peeps to the hobby only care about top speed. It only takes one accident to hopefully get those numbers pulled off of the boxes. Real car manufacturers aren't allowed to advertise max speed, R/C shouldn't be any different.
Old 04-18-2010, 10:22 PM
quadgod12953

Default RE: 80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

my earthquake 3.0 can climb 48 feet of verticle sand with a 18 foot run at it.thats pretty damb impressive,so why should i need to go 80mph...
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Evandro J

Hi
Below a video of Tornado S30 Buggy very very quickly ("rocket")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0_16eEPqE

I am beginner in this hobby and would like to know how do I make my Tornado S30 this way
Old 03-17-2014, 03:59 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

where did you see any redcat advertised as 80mph?

I just clicked on several models on their site and none have any advertised speed rating.

one issue redcat has that hurts their name, is greedy dealers. some jack prices way to high, others use false advertising, some sell the stuff but have never run them and know little to nothing about them. ive seen a few brushed redcat models in ebay ads said to hig 35mph (not gonna happen)

IMO redcat should advertise some of the top speeds of their models. the mirage out of the box on stock battery does 45mph, which is not bad at all. on 4s it will do 59mph, which is nuts for a $300 RTR 1/8 scale 4wd rig.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:02 PM
Evandro J

I wanted to say is that, this video

shows a Tornado S30 upgraded to reach the speed of 55mph
I wonder if anyone knows what type of upgrade that this person did, because I like to do my Tornado S30 walking the same way
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by Evandro J
I wanted to say is that, this video

shows a Tornado S30 upgraded to reach the speed of 55mph
I wonder if anyone knows what type of upgrade that this person did, because I like to do my Tornado S30 walking the same way
video quality is sooo poor, could be only 35mph there. hard to tell.
I know ive seen a few thread where guys put big block motors on their tornado (requires much work) and that would allow for 55-65mph easy.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:09 PM
osubuckeyesgsxr750

Just strapped a gps to my s30 and it hit 45mph stock. I had it on the rich side as well with clear visible smoke. Temp gun read 205 degrees so it wasn't running too hot either. No way it would hit 80 stock. I called redcat and they claim it does 35mph but could get higher with a good tune or leaning it out a bit.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by osubuckeyesgsxr750
Just strapped a gps to my s30 and it hit 45mph stock. I had it on the rich side as well with clear visible smoke. Temp gun read 205 degrees so it wasn't running too hot either. No way it would hit 80 stock. I called redcat and they claim it does 35mph but could get higher with a good tune or leaning it out a bit.
45mph is very good. I believed they could do 40mph stock. 35 with a poor tune, lol.
sadly, some sellers would put anything in there ads. and even worse, some newbs looking at a 40mph rc might think it is doing 80mph!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:15 PM
osubuckeyesgsxr750

This will make redcat owners happy. Bought a Rustler VXL the other day and ran it right after my s30. The VXL stock top speed was 38MPH. This is with the stock 3000mah NIMH battery and stock gearing. Stock vs stock s30 is faster. I would also have to say the s30 handles better. I can't wait to add a lipo battery though.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Originally Posted by osubuckeyesgsxr750
This will make redcat owners happy. Bought a Rustler VXL the other day and ran it right after my s30. The VXL stock top speed was 38MPH. This is with the stock 3000mah NIMH battery and stock gearing. Stock vs stock s30 is faster. I would also have to say the s30 handles better. I can't wait to add a lipo battery though.
well, in fairness to the rustler...running a brushless system on a nimh is like running a race car on pump gas. get a decent 2s lipo and you will gain 5mph easy. drop in a 3s and it will scream past the tornado.

Ive done both nitros and brushless. when the choice was between nitro and brushed, nitro one for power and speed. but brushless gives you the same with less work. sure, it doesn't sound as cool, but ill take 25 minute runtimes and 45+mph speeds on a 2wd brushless over a nitro any day.

Ive owned the redcat epx pro models, which I like a lot. you think the s30 is fast, run a tornado epx pro on 3s!
Ive also had a tornado epx pro with a traxxas vxl system in it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODHMzg2w_Xo
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 PM
osubuckeyesgsxr750

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner
well, in fairness to the rustler...running a brushless system on a nimh is like running a race car on pump gas. get a decent 2s lipo and you will gain 5mph easy. drop in a 3s and it will scream past the tornado.

Ive done both nitros and brushless. when the choice was between nitro and brushed, nitro one for power and speed. but brushless gives you the same with less work. sure, it doesn't sound as cool, but ill take 25 minute runtimes and 45+mph speeds on a 2wd brushless over a nitro any day.

Ive owned the redcat epx pro models, which I like a lot. you think the s30 is fast, run a tornado epx pro on 3s!

Oh nice! I've actually watched the video while
lurking for the past 2 months. That is scary fast. I love the thought of electric plug and play with no maintenance. Just got a hitec x1 and charged it in 110 minutes on 2 amps as opposed to an 8 hour charge. Yeah I will be getting lipos soon and I'll post some videos if the two. Love your video btw. So fast!

Last edited by osubuckeyesgsxr750; 04-24-2014 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:47 PM
osubuckeyesgsxr750

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner

Lol I actually commented on your video two weeks ago. Username albertcrothers on YouTube, that's me.
Old 06-02-2014, 04:35 PM
patreptile

tornado epx pro with standard batterie (7,4 V 2000 Mah) goes up to 50 km/h. only their nitro models goes at 80 MPH
Old 06-02-2014, 04:38 PM
patreptile

could you tell me why my tornado epx pro throttle stop working after 2 minutes when I use 8,4 V 3000 mah batteries ( traxxas batteries)