Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:24 PM
DownStroke

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

I fully expect this to be removed from this forum because it's probably moderated by the people from Redcat, but there is no way that their buggy runs 80+ mph. Bending the truth is one thing, but this thing wouldn't hit 80+ if you dropped it from an airplane. I did the math and the engine would have to put out about 67,000 rpm to do 80 mph. A REALLY good big block might run in the low 30,000 rpm range, which might push you to the mid 40 mph range. This is blatantly false advertising and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone call your bluff on this. I will not buy a Redcat product as a result of your claims about the performance of your product. I'd bet a lot of money that none of your products even get close to reaching a fraction of the speeds you indicate on your website. I'm doing my best to keep this above the belt, so there are a lot of things I didn't say, but I would surely like an explanation of these grossly exaggerated performance claims.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:59 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 80+ MPH?! I don't think so...

I think we all agree to the estimated speeds of the redcat vehicles, there have been several posts to this already, i personally have a radar gun and got 41mph out of the 2 speed 1/10buggy and 31 out of the single speed truck.

I think redcat should take there estimated speeds off their adverstising all together or change it and put 30+ or 40+ mph as needed, anyone in this hobby knows it would take an awful lot to make any rc car reach speeds of 80mph. Dont get me wrong, they are fast, just not nearly as fast as posted.

I think its a typo though, 88kph = 55 mph so 80 kph would be about 45 mph which is possible for the 1/8 buggy
Old 06-12-2006, 10:26 AM
Team Knowitall

Yeah, I do believe that's what happened ehroof. and if you buy an OFF ROAD car because it's advertised as going 80+ anyway, you need help.

I'm not gonna delete this thread because it's not uncalled for IMO...and if you're not gonna buy a Redcat, get out of my forum

by the way, where did you get your numbers for the gear ratios (which you'd need to figure out RPM@80mph), because it's entirely possible, even feasible, to gear a 1/8 buggy to do 80 mph@about 35k rpm (high end bb's pull high 30s-36-38k, and i would figure our .27 would pull about 32-33k rpm)

Why don't you go to Schumacher's site, get their email, and blast them for making an "80 mph" on road car to which my .12 CVR powered Nitro TC3 not only could, but DID lay waste?

BTW-41 mph from the Tornado XP? I knew it was quick on the top end, but I didn't think it was THAT quick
Old 06-12-2006, 11:35 AM
nitrosteve22

I'm pretty sure everybody here who owns a Redcat has obviously seen the claims but we all understand that these are pretty much impossible so it has to be a misprint or something. These things come from a different country so IMO it would be easy fudge something up in the translations. Yes I do think Redcat and Himoto should take the claims off the websites but I'm not gunna scream at em cause my so far so good,durable,insanely fast rtr RC car that cost me under $200 cant hit 80+mph when I've seen a few full sized cars that have a hard time pulling that off!

Once I got the two speed working in my Tornado xp I had no doubt it'll hit 40! Even though I dont get a whole lot of acceleration in 2nd gear that thing is a rocket. The little vx.18 has decent power,and more than enough to scoot a little 3-4 pound buggy around,more times than not its very hard to control lol.
Old 06-12-2006, 11:43 AM
Team Knowitall

It's ok, nitrosteve, he didn't win. He wanted me to delete his post and I'm not going to

the fact of the matter IS, DownStroke, while your overall concept may be more or less correct, and I may agree with you, you haven't shown any hard data to back anything up.
Old 06-13-2006, 01:44 AM
DownStroke

ORIGINAL: Redcat Support

Yeah, I do believe that's what happened ehroof. and if you buy an OFF ROAD car because it's advertised as going 80+ anyway, you need help.

If you’re from Redcat, I would expect that you would have an answer about the claims you make about the performance of your product. Federal laws regarding truth in advertising require a factual basis for claims made by a manufacturer BEFORE publishing claims that are likely to influence a consumer’s decision (Psssst, ignorance is not an acceptable defense). When you advertise that a product performs to certain standards, but a reasonable consumer is incapable of achieving such performance, you’re setting yourself up for a disaster with your business. So, before you get too smug and defiant with me, maybe you need a little religion from the FTC. If they find that you have no basis for the performance claims of a product you are selling, the remedy may include, but is not limited to, a partial or COMPLETE REFUND TO EVERY COMSUMER THAT PURCHASED THE PRODUCT. Still feeling like being a smartass?

Here’s a little education for you from the FTC: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/ad-faqs.htm

The part I like is that YOU advertise that your car can do 80 mph, and then mock anyone who would buy it because they think it might do 80??? Are you bipolar? Then why advertise that the car you’re selling does 80+ mph?! You've just insulted all your customers that had a reasonable expectation that your car is faster than most, when in fact it's not. I'm not that much of a sucker, but you're clearly preying on the naiveté of those that don’t know any better.

by the way, where did you get your numbers for the gear ratios (which you'd need to figure out RPM@80mph), because it's entirely possible, even feasible, to gear a 1/8 buggy to do 80 mph@about 35k rpm (high end bb's pull high 30s-36-38k, and i would figure our .27 would pull about 32-33k rpm)

The final drive ratio of 11.71:1, which I DID use to accurately calculate a more feasible speed, is available on your own website.

Why don't you go to Schumacher's site, get their email, and blast them for making an "80 mph" on road car to which my .12 CVR powered Nitro TC3 not only could, but DID lay waste?

I've personally clocked my own Schumacher Fusion sedan with some pretty advanced radar equipment at 73 mph. It’s not the 80 mph they claim either, but they’re MUCH closer to their claimed speed than your car. PS - You don't have a TC3 with a .12 CVR that can go 50 mph, no less in the mid 70s, so save that story for someone that will believe it - or did you throw it from the same plane used to achieve the generous speed estimates? I've owned both the aforementioned, so at least I speak from experience.

the fact of the matter IS, DownStroke, while your overall concept may be more or less correct, and I may agree with you, you haven't shown any hard data to back anything up.

You’re kidding, right? I guess you’re missing the point – the burden of proof is yours. You show ME that the product YOU sell lives up to the claims that YOU made. I didn’t make the claims but I can surely disprove them in hot second. If you’re sharp enough, take your own final drive ratio, your own estimate of maximum engine RPM and you calculate how fast the car will go. I left something out that you’ll need to calculate speed, but we’ll see how sharp you are.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:24 AM
Nexous

Well i dont know about the 80+MPH on the buggy. but i bought the lightningVX and after about 30 tanks and a repair or two i clocked my car doing over 46MPH. I have not even opened it right up yet. i still have room on the throttle and can lean it up still.
I like my car the way it runs now and dont htink i will try getting more power out of it. I dont need to. where are you going to be needing to go over 50MPH unless your running it on the highway.

just my two cents.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:40 AM
Team Knowitall

ORIGINAL: DownStroke

If you’re from Redcat, I would expect that you would have an answer about the claims you make about the performance of your product. Federal laws regarding truth in advertising require a factual basis for claims made by a manufacturer BEFORE publishing claims that are likely to influence a consumer’s decision (Psssst, ignorance is not an acceptable defense). When you advertise that a product performs to certain standards, but a reasonable consumer is incapable of achieving such performance, you’re setting yourself up for a disaster with your business. So, before you get too smug and defiant with me, maybe you need a little religion from the FTC. If they find that you have no basis for the performance claims of a product you are selling, the remedy may include, but is not limited to, a partial or COMPLETE REFUND TO EVERY COMSUMER THAT PURCHASED THE PRODUCT. Still feeling like being a smartass?
I always feel like being a smartass, but that's beside the point.

I'm a tech guy, I'm not in charge of the advertising or the website. I've actually brought this whole subject up. Believe it or not, it DOES bother me...but guess what? There's nothin I can do about it.

Here’s a little education for you from the FTC: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/ad-faqs.htm

The part I like is that YOU advertise that your car can do 80 mph, and then mock anyone who would buy it because they think it might do 80??? Are you bipolar?
That isn't what bipolar means. Also, had I been in charge of advertising, that wouldn't have happened.

Then why advertise that the car you’re selling does 80+ mph?! You've just insulted all your customers that had a reasonable expectation that your car is faster than most, when in fact it's not. I'm not that much of a sucker, but you're clearly preying on the naiveté of those that don’t know any better.

The final drive ratio of 11.71:1, which I DID use to accurately calculate a more feasible speed, is available on your own website.
[/quote]

Touche...forgot about that.

I've personally clocked my own Schumacher Fusion sedan with some pretty advanced radar equipment at 73 mph. It’s not the 80 mph they claim either, but they’re MUCH closer to their claimed speed than your car. PS - You don't have a TC3 with a .12 CVR that can go 50 mph, no less in the mid 70s, so save that story for someone that will believe it - or did you throw it from the same plane used to achieve the generous speed estimates? I've owned both the aforementioned, so at least I speak from experience.

You’re kidding, right? I guess you’re missing the point – the burden of proof is yours. You show ME that the product YOU sell lives up to the claims that YOU made. I didn’t make the claims but I can surely disprove them in hot second. If you’re sharp enough, take your own final drive ratio, your own estimate of maximum engine RPM and you calculate how fast the car will go. I left something out that you’ll need to calculate speed, but we’ll see how sharp you are.
I don't know how quick the NTC3 was...don't know if it did or didn't go 50 mph, but it also whooped that Schumacher in the LHS's parking lot. I have calipers right here and the buggy, too, so I can measure the tires, btw.

At any rate...I'm not saying, I never said, never WILL say, and will never THINK that any RTR 1/8 buggy will do anywhere near 80 mph. I just enjoy a good argument every now and then
Old 06-13-2006, 11:11 AM
jackkpl

My 2 cents:
1)Stating a speed of 80MPH for hurricane or 60MPH for tornado is a bit misleading, at first i thought tornado xp would reach like 80kph , but luckily it doesn't

2)Controlling a buggy on sand or gravel at 40-50kph is already a struggle , more speed for off-road is not needed.I can imagine how my car would look like after WOT crash at advertised 60MPH speed . And let's imagine 100meter range with a controller. 60MPH~25m/s. 4 seconds and you are done, your car now lives it's own life .

3)If i was a dealer i would put real-life speeds on my website and cut all arguments by saying " Chineese people can't read english, writing is even worse. Misleading numbers are their fault" .

4)If they tell you to jump from an aircraft and say, you will be very rich after happy landing would you do that? Misleading advertisign is one thing, believing in it is another...
Old 06-13-2006, 11:24 AM
Team Knowitall

ORIGINAL: jackkpl

My 2 cents:
1)Stating a speed of 80MPH for hurricane or 60MPH for tornado is a bit misleading, at first i thought tornado xp would reach like 80kph , but luckily it doesn't
Again, I totlaly agree.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:55 PM
Team Knowitall

Just for the record I came up with 56mph using my calculations and 35,000 (the high side of my guesstimate)
Old 06-14-2006, 05:01 PM
Popper252

I got my buggy up to 76mph the other day. It was in the back of my truck but hey... screw the details. [8D]
Old 06-14-2006, 05:10 PM
Gotalightningvx

popper thats just dam funny give em the truth they want 80mph give to em the real way[sm=lol.gif]
Old 06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Team Knowitall

I can drag a Volcano to 100 behind the Jeep[8D]
Old 06-14-2006, 08:59 PM
tat2d2dope

well i tell everyone that my tornado XP dose 80mph
and sometimes they belive me sometimes they don't.
but it's my story i'll tell it how i want to.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:04 PM
DownStroke

ORIGINAL: jackkpl

My 2 cents:

2)Controlling a buggy on sand or gravel at 40-50kph is already a struggle , more speed for off-road is not needed.I can imagine how my car would look like after WOT crash at advertised 60MPH speed . And let's imagine 100meter range with a controller. 60MPH~25m/s. 4 seconds and you are done, your car now lives it's own life .

3)If i was a dealer i would put real-life speeds on my website and cut all arguments by saying " Chineese people can't read english, writing is even worse. Misleading numbers are their fault" .

4)If they tell you to jump from an aircraft and say, you will be very rich after happy landing would you do that? Misleading advertisign is one thing, believing in it is another...
No doubt all valid points, but the standard here is not whether it's believable - obviously it's not to anyone with an ounce of experience. But, consumer protection laws exist to protect people that don't know any better. Ideally, consumers shouldn't have to be experts on every subject to avoid getting swindled by manufacturers making bogus advertising claims. How would all of you feel if a memory chip manufacturer put 500 megs on a DIMM that was sold as a 1 Gig DIMM, or if the gas pump said you got 20 gallons but you really only got 7? That's a rhetorical question because of course everyone wants to get what they pay for. It's only good fortune that their average customer isn't smart enough to know or care that they're getting lied to, and that the average person doesn't have the means to test their claim. It is, however, only a matter of time before this bites them in the ass.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:16 PM
RC30GTR

Just for the record I came up with 56mph using my calculations and 35,000 (the high side of my guesstimate)

I cant belive this is coming from a manufacture...... futhermore, i cant believe there are still people standing by the prodcut after reading that..... There is no way a redcat car will do anywhere near 80mph......
Old 06-15-2006, 05:19 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I think we all know that they wont do 80 by now. Isn't this topic about over. Its getting old. If you dont want a redcat or dont agree with them, dont buy one. Thats all.
Old 06-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Popper252

^^^ Thank you sir.

I didn't buy my buggy expecting it to do 80mph. I'm not an idiot. It's a buyers beware market. If you don't do the research then you're just being a bad consumer. Yes I read the part about not everyone can be an expert in everything. Since when did comparison shopping require you to be an expert? Arg... I could rant forever about this but I'm just going to drop it.

What I did expect when I bought this car was a good beginners nitro r/c vehicle that I could learn a lot about and have a good time with.
I got exactly that.
Thank you redcat. Mission Accomplished.
Old 06-15-2006, 09:39 AM
Team Knowitall

ORIGINAL: RC30GTR

I cant belive this is coming from a manufacture...... futhermore, i cant believe there are still people standing by the prodcut after reading that..... There is no way a redcat car will do anywhere near 80mph......
Regardless of top speed claims, the Hurricane is a damn fine product.

Nobody on this forum EVER said it would go 80 mph.

^^^ Thank you sir.

I didn't buy my buggy expecting it to do 80mph. I'm not an idiot. It's a buyers beware market. If you don't do the research then you're just being a bad consumer. Yes I read the part about not everyone can be an expert in everything. Since when did comparison shopping require you to be an expert? Arg... I could rant forever about this but I'm just going to drop it.

What I did expect when I bought this car was a good beginners nitro r/c vehicle that I could learn a lot about and have a good time with.
I got exactly that.
Yer welcome
Old 06-15-2006, 10:18 PM
bladeCX1464

this is kinda halarious....
Old 06-15-2006, 10:30 PM
DownStroke

Regardless of top speed claims, the Hurricane is a damn fine product.

Nobody on this forum EVER said it would go 80 mph.
Yes, Redcat Racing says it will do 80+ mph in the banner ads it runs on this and many other forums, so you're mistaken. I think you're missing my point, however (as are a few other agenda-driven opinions in this thread). If a consumer clearly can't trust Redcat Racing about the speed claims, then there's reason to believe your company is being untruthful about other aspects of the car. does it really have a .27 engine, or do I have to break out the caliper to measure it? Does it really have T6 aluminum, or do I have to get the Rockwell tester and test it? If speed is an important factor to a consumer, it doesn't matter if you don't care about speed, THEY DO. It may well be a good product, but you lose all credibility and any footing to make any claims about the quality of the product you represent when you can't even be honest about a very basic performance claim.

Any of you that are making excuses for this type of misrepresentation are hypocrites. If anyone lied about (misrepresented, embellished... pick whatever word you want) a fact you considered important to your purchase and it was over-exaggerated to the tune of 50 percent, you'd be pissed and want your money back. It's incomprehensible that anyone could defend this... it never ceases to amaze me how far someone will allow their moral compass to wander when there's an agenda, a fragile ego, or a profit to be made. Let's be honest... the reason these claims are made is because Redcat Racing doesn't want to compete with other manufacturers on features, value and benefits. I believe they're hoping to short circuit an honest evaluation and comparison against other products by making these outrageous claims. If speed matters to an unsuspecting customer, then they might overlook other factors because if they're to believe what Redcat claims about their product, then this buggy should ensure that nothing else will beat him across the parking lot. That might mean more to that person than other factors so the "research" ends... or so he thinks.

The bottom line is, Redcat Racing and any dealers who repeat this impossible claim, are lying to their customers. I think this type of conduct is reprehensible and I'm calling BS. If Redcat is going to make the claim, then they have to be prepared to defend it. I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for something that resembles honesty in advertising, and as luck would have it, federal consumer protection laws agree.

ORIGINAL: Popper252

I got exactly that.
Please refer to my previous statement.

It's only good fortune that their average customer isn't smart enough to know or care that they're getting lied to...
Old 06-15-2006, 10:37 PM
bluecaka69

did you har that popper i think he just called you a dumbA$#
nuaghty naughty downstroke no name callin
im not im arguement about speed but i would put up with people callin my boy stupid
BTW good luck in your case
Old 06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Have a beer buddy.... better yet drink the six pack
Old 06-15-2006, 10:41 PM
tat2d2dope

my tornado XP will do 97 mph in first gear with 3% nitro and a bad glow plug on oiled up glass up hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.