Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

After market shocks for hurricane XP or PRO

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

After market shocks for hurricane XP or PRO

Old 07-13-2006, 04:38 PM
warriorking

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After market shocks for hurricane XP or PRO

Just wanted to know if anyone have replace the stock shocks that come on their buggy. Also what weight oil is in the stock shocks.
Another question is are these shocks supposed to push back out when you press them in. All four of the shocks on my buggy after removing them from the buggy and push them in
they just stay in.

I also drop the buggy from about 3 feet and the chassis just slam on the floor.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks WK
Old 07-13-2006, 04:44 PM
Popper252

Default RE: After market shocks for hurricane XP or PRO

The shocks are just that. Shocks. They just dampen the impact. It's the springs job to push the rod back out.

As for stock oil wt. i think it's either 30 or 35. When i replaced my shock oil I got 45 wt. and i've been very happy with it. It's stiff enough for me to take jumps with but not so stiff that I can't stick my turns anymore.

If your chassis is hitting the floor when you drop it you may want to adjust the spring tensioner. On my car I just screw down a little collar and it compresses the spring down. I think on the hurricanes there's a plastic piece with a screw that you have to move down. I'm not really sure. But either way the concept is the same. Just make the spring shorter.
Old 07-13-2006, 06:28 PM
chubbysuncle

The Hurricane is pretty heavy compared to a Tornado. So you may need a little thicker shock oil than 45wt. The shocks don't return back with the spring on? If the spring is on and they won't extend back out you got bent shock shafts. These shocks are not like regular car shocks. Car shocks usually have a gas charge of some sort in them that causes them to extend under a no load condition. These shocks work mostly by the spring keeping the car up and the oil passing thru a small hole in the shock piston regulates how fast the shock can move up and down. Thicker oil = slower movement less bounce. Thinner = faster movement more bounce. Do like Popper said and tighten the spring tension on the shocks. Maybe someone with a Hurricane can post a shock oil weight that works for them. I've been told the stock oil is pretty thin and useless. Make sure you but silicone shock oil. Regular motor oil is N/G it'll heat up and foam.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:57 AM
Team Knowitall

35 or 40wt should do fine in the hurricane. I tried 50wt in one of my other 1/8 buggies and it's way too thick (mho) for anything but straight jumpin. first thing i would check is if your o-rings are leaking, and also shock preload. there are preload collars on your shocks with screws in them that hold them tight on the shock body.

as for aftermarket shocks, in my experiance, a 1/8 buggy shock is a 1/8 buggy shock.

I would go with the 35wt oil in the front shocks, 40 in the rear, and adjust the preload accordingly.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:18 PM
warriorking

Thanks y'all

I went to the LHS for some shock oil and they didn't have ones i need, that place suck. Anyway I might just have to order online.

Hey eric do redcat sell the repare kits for the shocks on the hurricane pro.
Also what about getting some stiffer springs.

Thanks WK
Old 07-15-2006, 03:40 AM
RoadBurner

Eric is right on the oil weights, in my hurricane xp pro I run 35wt in the front and 40wt in the back and preload the spring at 1/2 inch for bumpy driving. For jumping preload the front at 3/4 inch and the back at 1 inch. For street driving no preload on the spring.