Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

carburetor

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 01:00 PM
nbluehell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carburetor

hey all. ive got a quick question. can i put the taiwan carb off the .18 on the team infinity .18 that came with my buggy? the infinity carb is a piece of sh**!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:18 PM
jguitarsandcars

Default RE: carburetor

NB, from what I've gathered in these forums, the only difference in these engines is where they're made, quality of parts, and the carb...I've asked this same exact question multiple times in multiple threads within this forum, and have yet to receive an answer...Putting faith into the fact that they're basically the same engine, I just ordered a taiwan carb from Mark at Topspeedtoys the other day...should be in probably early next week, if you don't hear back from anyone, I will let you know then...
Old 08-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Popper252

Yeah apparently the back plates use a different pattern also. Atleast that's what mark mentioned a few days back.
Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
TopSpeedToys

ORIGINAL: Popper252

Yeah apparently the back plates use a different pattern also. Atleast that's what mark mentioned a few days back.
True on the backplates Pop.

I should receive a few Infinity motors in the next few days. I'll try to compare the carbs then.

Mark
Old 08-03-2006, 09:30 PM
jguitarsandcars

hmmm...the backplates use a different pattern...well then I might just be in trouble...wonder which motor they were talking about with the tiger drive....
Old 08-03-2006, 11:47 PM
Connormon

taiwann i believe? Correct me if im wrong TST.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:52 AM
TopSpeedToys

ORIGINAL: Connormon

taiwann i believe? Correct me if im wrong TST.
Yeah.. tiger drive people used here on RCU are for Taiwan motors.

Most Himoto nitros have the Japan Infinity motor.

Old 08-04-2006, 12:35 PM
jguitarsandcars

hmmm...interesting Mark...I don't know what their sales ratio's are at himoto, but I know they offer both...I just happened to think that the differences between the pro and xl were supposed to make the pro better...but I think the normal one doesn't come with bearings, but I could be wrong...next time, I know better...just order direct from you, and order either the very base, or now the top of the line with the aluminum upgrades already on it (wasn't available back then)...I'll get these things down one of these days...LOL...
Old 08-04-2006, 01:31 PM
nbluehell

thanks for all the replys. i guess its just a waiting game now til i know for sure, but im beting that i'll be placeing another 35 dollor order with topspeed. bye the way thanks topspeed for the fast shipment of the parts i orderd last week, got them in 3 days!
Old 08-04-2006, 05:58 PM
TopSpeedToys

ORIGINAL: nbluehell

thanks for all the replys. i guess its just a waiting game now til i know for sure, but im beting that i'll be placeing another 35 dollor order with topspeed. bye the way thanks topspeed for the fast shipment of the parts i orderd last week, got them in 3 days!

Not a problem, thank you for your order.

Old 08-05-2006, 08:34 PM
nbluehell

someone please tell me the taiwan carb will fit the jap engine. this piece of crap is leaking at the throttle arm, has been for a couple of days. i know i said i'll waite for a reply but gd, im impatient! [sm=biggrin.gif]
Old 08-05-2006, 10:00 PM
jguitarsandcars

OK...got the rest of my Order that Topspeedtoys sent me direct today(thanks again for the fast and courteous service)...Just checked the Taiwan Carb on the Japanese engine...It will fit, but modifications will need to be made to make it work. I think I found the air leak I've been looking for too...One the Japanese (Infiniti) Engine, the threads used to hold the carb on are in the carb. The holes in the crank case (block) are just clearanced through wholes. The Taiwan carb does not have any holes in it. I'm assuming that this means that the block is threaded and that they squeeze against the carb body much like the Traxxas 2.5 in the Maxx series. You can either drill and tap the carb (leaving yourself open to air leaks) or you can take you engine apart (I'd suggest to do this anyway) go to Home Depot or Lowe's and buy 2 oversized screws and a tap for them to tap the block or self tapping metal screws (but threads might be too course to be effective). To do this, all you need to do is get a machine screw (fine threads) that is just a little larger than the whole in the block (might want to bring your block with you) and then buy the tap that matches that thread size. The reason I suggest tearing the engine down to do this is that whether you tap it, or use self tapping screws, metal shavings are going to come out the inside as you push it through...and we don't want metal shavings inside our engines. Maybe somebody can come up with an easier, or less expensive way to do it, this is just what I would consider the "right" way from the standpoint of a person that builds real Jet engine components and Custom Cars...
Old 08-06-2006, 12:11 AM
nbluehell

hey thanks jguitar. thanks a lot. i will buy the taiwan carb...if the wife lets me! so you build jet engines, or parts that is? i work on jet engines. GE-F404's in the F-18's, for the last 3 yrs or so. before that i was a diesel mech. for 7 years.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:51 PM
jguitarsandcars

No problem, I'm still trying to learn these Nitro Cars, but Anything I can do to help anybody else...
Old 08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
TopSpeedToys

Right on Josh [sm=thumbup.gif]

Thanks for all the great info.

Mark

Old 08-07-2006, 01:18 PM
jguitarsandcars

Any time Mark...I have taken a lot more great info off this site than I have given, It's only fair that I give back when I can...Although, I must say, if I had it to do over again, I would have saved some money and bought the cheaper car to start with and done less upgrading...LOL...
Old 08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Connormon

You mean more expensive car to start with and less upgrading? Because that doesnt make sense...Or maybe it does?
Old 08-07-2006, 04:05 PM
jguitarsandcars

Connor, I bought the HiMoto Syclone pro figuring it was a better car...yes any car can use upgrades for either durability or speed (aluminum suspension parts, or different raio gears, or header/exhaust pipe), but my budget is getting held back from these improvements because to get the car to perform better and not have as much down time, I'm "upgrading" by putting in a single speed transmission, single speed clutchbells, the 2 needle carb from the Taiwan engine, all from the cheaper model...I'm only speaking from the Himoto's, but since a lot of the info off here is for the redcat's, and they're supposed to be the same car, I can only assume that the issues the same for the redcat...
Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
jguitarsandcars

[img][/img]OK, here's a pic of the block with the 2 needle carb. It cost an extra $5 beyond the carb. $0.52 for 2 stainless steel set-screws (8-32x1/4") and $4.57 for the tap. You might want to go a little bigger on the tap, it is enough thread to hold tight, but the threads are a little flat, but I thought 10-32 was too big and Home Depot doesn't carry any metric taps.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62484.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	503747  
Old 08-08-2006, 03:18 AM
nbluehell

lucky for me i have a home depot about a half mile down the street and a metric tap and die set in the tool box! now i just have to convince the wife..maybe not so lucky for me.