Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

my ? is witch one of the settings is the right one?

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

my ? is witch one of the settings is the right one?

Old 08-09-2006, 09:37 PM
glk420247

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my ? is witch one of the settings is the right one?

1 Probably one of the hardest things to do when you first get into this hobby is learning how to tune your engine. One of the problems I first had when I got into nitro was simply realizing what everything was and where the adjustment screws were. Well anyways, here's a picture of the adjustment screws.

The following are what the factory settings are incase you ended up tuning things to the point where the car won't start anymore:
High Speed Needle (HSN) - Turn the screw all the way down (clockwise) but don't tighten it. Then unscrew it 2 1/2 to 3 turns (Counter Clockwise).
Low Speed Needle (LSN) - Should be flush with the collar.
Idle Screw Adjustment - Take off your air filter and make sure your throttle is at idle. Then make sure that the opening in the carb is about 1mm.

Hope this helps. If anyone wants to add anything to this feel free to.

2 Try this....lets start all over from scratch and tune from there....screw in the LSN (low speed needle) all the way in so it seats...DO NOT CRANK IT DOWN TIGHT...just screw it in GENTLY until it stops then back it out about 2-2 1/2 turns....set the HSN (high speed needle) so the head of the screw sits flush with the outer edge of the collar it sits in....take off the air cleaner and see what kind of gap is in the carb....with all your controls ON and the throttle servo centered in it's "neutral" position there should only be about a 1/16th gap showing....you shouldn't have to mess with the factory idle setting...unless and until you get the rest of the tuning right...then you may or may not have to adjust your idle speed screw slightly...

Here Is 2 different settings can someone tell which is the right one. Because i have been doing the first one and its like my engine is going to blow. I hope I didnt hurt it still breaking in. Thanks Greg

Old 08-10-2006, 05:26 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: my ? is witch one of the settings is the right one?

it is going to be slightly different for everyone. My personal settings on the xp are closer to the second one.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 AM
{GBI}Harryball

My personal settings are closer to the first set of instructions. The buggy screams. My Volcano is also set this way, and I had to make small adjustments to it. It also runs very well, just remeber not to make drastic turns on any of the needles. 1/8 turns at max while tunning it in
Old 08-10-2006, 09:29 AM
jguitarsandcars

I think I see a slight error in the second one...You say set the LSN to 2-2 1/2 out and the HSN flush with the collar...That's pretty backwards, isn't it? I always thought it was the HSN around 2 1/2 out and the LSN flush with the collar, and 1mm vs 1/16 has gotta be relatively close...both these settings sound close, except the HSN being either 2-2 1/2 or 2 1/2-3 turns out...take the common ground and you should be relatively close for starting purposes I would think either would work...
Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
glk420247

Thanks for replying, it just seems like mine is screaming and really fast,with the first settings. I am worried that I am not breaking in the car properly. I have ran only 2 tanks. The first couple of runs went pretty well, the 3 run on the first tank ran really fast with out messing with anytihing. The second tank theyall ran really fast and shut it down pretty quickly, at about 200 temp then 230 temp. This is all with in about 2 to 3 minutes. Just wondering if I am doing it right thats all. I'll keep tying, Thanks you guys. All of your post have been very helpfull. I have read just about all of them. Sorry for starting a new post, but I had to ask this Question. Thanks again Greg
Old 08-10-2006, 07:59 PM
jguitarsandcars

Greg, every manufacturer gives different break in specs. My son's Traxxas said 5 tanks, 3 second burst of 1/4 throttle, then 1/2 throttle, then 3/4, then 5 seconds of WOT start to stop, then 5 seconds of pure WOT...My HiMoto said run 2-3 tanks to complete break in, but only other instructions were for tuning it...
If you check out this thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_2786285/tm.htm you will see it starts with one guy giving very specific break in and tuning proceedures, but if you read the next one, it is completely different...There have been many different recomendations on how to break in a motor over the years from what I gather (still new to nitro myself), but if you read the first 2 or 3 pages of this particular thread I linked, you will see the different methods and their reasonings for it...Given the reasonings and the experience level to the sport, I'm more inclined to follow the recommendations of FUELMAN who owns a nitro fuel company and run's all forms of nitro r/c's for many years, and there's another I can't remember name (I think 2 initials and 46) who also has some good reasoning.
The home of this particular thread is http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_269/tt.htm Very informative on every aspect of the engines and makes and models and trouble shooting...
I've learned through just this Redcat thread that there are various differences in opinion on most aspects of R/C...Most people are willing to help, but you can get confused by the many different suggestions. I know I do, but if you get as much input as possible, and get the reasonings behind the way of thinking, you'll be alright...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:57 PM
glk420247

Thanks that really helps, but I think I have a bigger issue than that. I have been read about the stripped gears issue. I read the whole thing. Then I can across the clutch bell, When I first started mine up I heard A different sound than my dads. What I think it is, is the metal on metal sound (clutch spring). That was the very first time I ran it. Do you think I broke it or it possible came like that? Even my dad said that mine sounded different. Thanks Greg
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

yes it sounds to be your problem. Not hard to take apart.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:09 AM
jguitarsandcars

From my experience with the clutchsprings, They were very hard to start and would not stay running when they do when they go bad...