Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

ATTN Redcat Racing and Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:37 PM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN Redcat Racing and Owners!

I did a quick overview on the manual to my Cane XP, and found a BIG no no in there. To stall the engine, you guys, or the manufacture, says to PINCH THE FUEL LINE. Doing so will cause the engine to run lean, thus killing it. It will also cause premature wear, and in some cases, lead to broken engine parts from stopping the engine that way.

The safest way to stop the engine is to bump the flywheel with the handle of a screwdriver (preferably a driver you could care less about scuffing up!)

This should help prolong engine life and keep other owners happy that they dont have to replace an engine prematurely!
Old 08-23-2006, 01:52 AM
CDRacingZX6R

Default RE: ATTN Redcat Racing and Owners!

Just wondering what you mean by bumping the fly wheel. Like wedge it to keep it from spinning or what? Just always used the old pinch fuel line trick but if I can keep the engine running longer Id like to do it the other way.

Thanks.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:36 AM
Connormon

or just use your shoe. or plug exhaust
Old 08-23-2006, 07:50 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Connormon

If thats to hot just push your fingure into the air filter. Kills it every time.
Old 08-23-2006, 02:18 PM
jguitarsandcars

Plug Exhaust??? I know I'm new to nitro's and all, but after Reading a huge debate on this in the engine forum, it would seem that's the worst possible of options...Yes pinching exhaust runs lean, but only for split second (unless you're running super rich), bumping the flywheel I've also heard of and have concerns about the stopping of the rotation mass, but I still think it's a pretty good option. When you plug the exhaust, you build up excessive back pressure in the engine...These things only have a very tiny round connecting rod and aluminum piston...excessive back pressure always causes a lot of damage and wear in any gasoline powered vehicle I've ever played with...Once again, I admit being new to nitro, but have been messing with gas powered stuff for about 23 yrs...anything from go-carts and mini-bikes to street rod, and drag cars, and that experience tells me back pressure is a huge no-no...correct me if I'm on the wrong train of thought here with some reasonable arguments, I'm more than happy to listen and learn...
Old 08-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: {GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Connormon

If thats to hot just push your fingure into the air filter. Kills it every time.
NEVER push your finger into the air filter. You force dirt and whatever is ON the filter into the engine! NEVER plug the exhaust, you force so much fuel into the engine, thus causing it to lock up. You can severely damage it that way!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:12 PM
MrCheezeWhizz

Or you could just do it the true racer's way, run out of gas
Old 08-23-2006, 10:37 PM
Kemo

same thing as pinching it. Racers try to NEVER run out of fuel, as it is dangerous to an engine. ALWAYS try to stop the engine before it runs out of fuel.
Old 08-24-2006, 08:51 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Kemo

same thing as pinching it. Racers try to NEVER run out of fuel, as it is dangerous to an engine. ALWAYS try to stop the engine before it runs out of fuel.
What races have you been to. I went to one last weekend and after the main event. Everyone with nitros was burning the rest of there gas. The nitro fuel will atrach mosture thats why you should run it out and use your afterburn.
Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
Kemo

minnesota nitro series. You NEVER run it dry. You pull the plug, drain fuel supply, and line, then turn it over once or twice along with the after run oil. Thats how you empty the engine.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:37 AM
{GBI}Harryball

OMG, Kemo as far as i can tell your motor never stops. Listen guys just do what your going to do. Ive seen pros push the exhaust, they also push the air filter in. And believe it or not they run there cars out of fuel. So i quess its up to you as to what you want to do.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:55 AM
jguitarsandcars

AHHHH, but Harry...Pro's don't have to pay for their own parts, so what do they care...they just do whatever's easiest, or however they learned....LOL....
Old 08-25-2006, 10:11 AM
Kemo

80% of the engines that run out of fuel, stop in the powerband. Imagine that stopping force, going from 25,000 rpm to 0 in a split second.

Until you experience a breakdown from your stopping methods, you'll understand. I like my engines lasting over 15 gallons.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:14 AM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: jguitarsandcars

AHHHH, but Harry...Pro's don't have to pay for their own parts, so what do they care...they just do whatever's easiest, or however they learned....LOL....
Your right they dont. LOL and kemo i have 6 gallons thru my cheap little vertex motor and it still running strong.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Kemo

yeah but you aren't running a fuel with a minimum oil content for maximum performance

A racer's engine experiences far more extremes than a person who plays in the backyard. 15 gallons on that is damn fine!

And on a side note, there are maybe 30-40 people at a BIG race that actually get free engines. The rest of the "pros" are paying for their engines.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:52 PM
jguitarsandcars

I used to run a lot of the big races in electric back in the day...I've raced at races against Joel Johnson, Dan Moynahan, Wally David (used to be an editor for RCCA), Tony Neisenger and a handful of others, and they didn't pay for a single part. We used to paint bodies, and painted for a few guys that were sponsored amatures. They usually had to pay for their parts, but a very minimal charge. Unless they were sponsored by one of the smaller companies, then they usually got free stuff...I know it was different...stock class everybody used to have to run the same motor that you were given as part of your entry fee, and modifieds were whatever, but...Professional means you get paid to do something...The pro's aren't just sponsored, but they're also paid.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:12 PM
futabaed

Stopping your engine is best achieved by getting your radio settings right
and 'kill' it with a fully closed throttle.(break fully applied)
I have it tuned so it will not die out until I fully compress the break and have to hold the break on for about 3-5 sec.
It won't run extremely fast like pinching the line will do when you kill it either.
It puts the engine to the point its not getting enough fuel or air to run..........
Choking it out.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:13 PM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Kemo

yeah but you aren't running a fuel with a minimum oil content for maximum performance

A racer's engine experiences far more extremes than a person who plays in the backyard. 15 gallons on that is damn fine!

And on a side note, there are maybe 30-40 people at a BIG race that actually get free engines. The rest of the "pros" are paying for their engines.

Odonnels 30% pretty good stuff you no racing fuel
Old 08-25-2006, 01:43 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: futabaed

Stopping your engine is best achieved by getting your radio settings right
and 'kill' it with a fully closed throttle.(break fully applied)
I have it tuned so it will not die out until I fully compress the break and have to hold the break on for about 3-5 sec.
It won't run extremely fast like pinching the line will do when you kill it either.
It puts the engine to the point its not getting enough fuel or air to run..........
Choking it out.
The radio settings aren't supposed to be set by that... and thats one of the very first things taught in getting started with nitro. Coming from a company, i'd expect you know that!

Your engine is obviously tuned wrong too.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:04 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the throttle on nitro boat engines are set up to close when put in reverse on the transmitter since they dont have clutches. I wouldnt reccomend doing it to your car since you would mean to brake hard and stall the motor.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:08 PM
Kemo

for as hard as i am on the brakes, i'd hate to be in the pits every turn! Having to bump start every lap because I cant brake... or else i'll kill the engine.

shoot, i could let my engines idle until the tank runs empty
Old 08-25-2006, 02:17 PM
futabaed

I only work for redcat as a forum moderator I dont work at the company,I have 2 of my vehicles set up the very same way.
I have put over 6 gallons of fuel through my volcano stx and not 1 problem with my tuning at all.
Starts fine,Great Powerband & top end And the only time it will shut down is if I hold the break for a few seconds.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:27 PM
Kemo

the engines are not supposed to shut down with the brakes on lol.

Next you are going to tell me you tune the idle with the radio too?

I'm not trying to stir something up here... just making a correction to how it should be done, the correct way.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:35 PM
futabaed

I can break just fine & the breaks work great, good enough for any of my needs.
It will not die unless I have the breaks fully engaged for at least 3-5 seconds
I can apply my breaks and stop on a dime without it stalling,so My way works best for me.
Old 08-25-2006, 02:37 PM
Kemo

i'm just confused to why you have Rebuilding-tuning-maintenance in your sig??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.