Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

temp of engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 09:03 AM
cody11785

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default temp of engine

hi all,
i have the vx .18 engine and its running way too hot from what i've seen on the website. my problem is i can't figure out why. i put the hsn and lsn back to the factory settings, theres plenty of blue smoke coming from the exhaust, it responsive, but the temp at the glow plug is anywhere from 330-360. would the individual temps vary greatly from engine to engine, or is mine just running hot? any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:07 AM
{GBI}Harryball

Default RE: temp of engine

What percent fuel are you running?
Old 08-23-2006, 11:47 AM
cody11785

20%, but i forgot what brand it is. my brother is running the same stuff in his traxxas without any problems of overheating though.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 AM
{GBI}Harryball

You could cut a front hole in the shell of the car to allow extra air flow. Outside of that im not sure what the problem would be.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:22 PM
cody11785

yeah, i run it with the cover off to get as much air going by the cooling head as possible, so i guess its just how the car runs. thanks though
Old 08-23-2006, 02:07 PM
jguitarsandcars

I've had the same problem with both my Himoto and Traxxas...Turned out to be air leaks somewhere in the engine...Have you seen the thread on sealing your engine??? Where you tear it down and rebuild it with the Copper Threadlock RTV??? Try that out...I posted a link in one of these threads, as did somebody else. You can also check out the Nitro Engines forum for it...
Old 08-24-2006, 09:02 AM
cody11785

thanks jguitarsandcars, i'll do that and let you know how it goes.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:33 AM
jguitarsandcars

No problem Cody...Also check out the thread I just started this morning about problems fixed...I won't get too detailed here, but I was still having problems after sealing although It had run good with a different pipe on a bench test...I took the exhaust pipe apart and found a big chunk of scrap plastic in the chamber between the baffle and the stinger tip, blocking 2/3's of the tip meaning built up back pressure in the engine...
Old 08-24-2006, 10:36 AM
cody11785

yeah i saw that post as well. i'm taking the car pretty much down to nothing to rebuild some shocks and sealing the engine, so this will be the perfect time to check over everything. thanks again
Old 08-24-2006, 12:00 PM
jguitarsandcars

No problem...That's what I had done, but I didn't think of taking the pipe apart, till I had another problem and I tore the car down again to see if I did something wrong and while I was at it, seeing if I could make my own pipe...and Low and behold...LOL...Good luck, and no problem...I've received so much help from these forums, I try to help when my limited knowlege allows.