Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Tornado BB

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 02:47 PM
sweetbutterfly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tornado BB

Someone please use basic terms for me and answer my questions.

1) What is the difference between the plastic body oil filled shocks and the aluminum body oil filled shocks on the BB and BB Pro?

2) What is the difference between the VX 18 and the Infinity 18?

3) What is the 2 bevel gear differential? And what does the Xp have for that part?

I do not know what any of these things mean or what they do or why they can be plastic or aluminum

Jen
Old 09-13-2006, 03:04 PM
gundamjake

Butteryfly,
The difference between the plastic body oil filled shocks and the aluminum body oil filled shocks is the body, the piece that is inside the spring. The aluminum body shocks are tougher and are less prone to leaking.
Now, the differences between the VX .18 and the Infinity .18 are:
1) The Infinity makes more power than the VX, however the vertex will actually end up lasting longer.
2) The Infinity doesn't have an adjustable low speed needle, where the VX does.
Those are the two main differences between VX .18 and the Infinity .18.
There is no difference between the diffs in any of the tornados. The reason it is called the two bevel differential is because it has two beveled gears inside the differential gear set.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:39 PM
sweetbutterfly

Thank you so much Gundamjake for answering my questions. I really appricate it.

So the aluminum shocks are better because less leaks, now does having 2 needles make it easier to adjust the vehicle? Or would only having the one be easier to tune?

Jen
Old 09-13-2006, 03:52 PM
sweetbutterfly

What were the first things that any of you had problems with?

Jen
Old 09-13-2006, 04:10 PM
gundamjake

I like having as much control over my stuff as possible, so I like the fact that the VX .18 has the adjustable low speed needle. As for ease of tuning, that all depends on how many times you've tuned a car before. I think it is easier to tune the VX motor as opposed to the Infinity motor.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:24 PM
bluecaka69

the one and only thing i ever had a problem with was the gears stripping
unless of coursse i hit a wall at full speed oops ut it was fun

everything else about the cars held up good considering how bad i beat them
Old 09-13-2006, 04:30 PM
sweetbutterfly

Well, I have never tuned a car before. I have always let Andy do it cause I do not understand anything about why they need to be tuned. I have tried watching the video that goes with his Revo and I just do not understand what they are talking about. Andy tried to explain, but I get all flustered and end up telling him to just do for me so I don't break something.

Jen
Old 09-13-2006, 04:50 PM
gundamjake

LOL. Well, I won't try and explain the physics behind it then. But if your a control freak like me then you will want the VX motor.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
glk420247

Hi Butterfly I have never replied to you before, But I thought I would like to put my 2 cents in. I personally really like my Tornado xp. Of course it is my first RC so I don't know if I will be much help. From the first day I had it ,the only problems I have encountered(Other than not knowing what the h-ll I was doing) is Almost everything on the car came loose. From the engine seals to grub screws and the universal joints coming loose. I have definitely learned alot with this car. I could probably take it apart and put back together with my eyes closed. It is that easy to work on. But once you get everthing tight and tuned up the Xp is really fast. One more thing if you buy the xp make sure you buy a traxxas spring for the clutch Part # 4146x ( thanks you to the guys who told me that one). That is the one other thing that has went wrong. I have not stripped any gears and I am about 1.5 gallons thru. I hope this helps if not sorry.

Later Greg Tornado XP
Old 09-13-2006, 08:16 PM
jguitarsandcars

Jenn...I think for although the vertex engine has more adjustments, it's easier to tune becaue you have multiple stages to tune from rather than trying to find a happy medium with one adjustment...That's why I spent to money to "downgrade" for that part...Aluminum shocks are stronger and more reliable, but once again, for the price difference, I don't think it's a huge deal to have fun with...I personally like the plastic parts...I haven't had a problem with them breaking and they're lighter which will make your car faster...plus they're cheaper to replace...Also just like anything...If you make one part stronger, it just means the stress has to go somewhere else and something else is going to break...and as gunda said...the bevel gear differentials are identical between the models...if you're looking for reliability over speed, I'd go with the lower model...but then again, the aluminum is prettier than the plastic...LOL...all depends on what you want out of it...they're basically the same vehicle...do you want looks, reliability, strength, durability, speed...
by the way...I watched the traxxas tuning video...very confusing...the nitro engine post has a lot better inforamtion and links...
Old 09-13-2006, 09:07 PM
sweetbutterfly

Guys, Thank you all so much. I have learned alot today. Enough that I am printing out this whole conversation so I can use it as a reference for when I get my Buggy.

I will have to find the Nitro engine post and read it over. Hopefully it will help me out also.

Again Thank you all!!! Ya'll are a great bunch of guys!!!

Jen
Old 09-13-2006, 09:13 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to be a kill joy but i would stay away from the 2 speed unless you like to change spur gears like you put fuel in the buggy. i have 2 of them and stopped using because of the gears problem, i have the volcano and thats 100x's better.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:46 PM
sweetbutterfly

Yeah but for the price it's not too bad for the tornado. And it will spend alot of time on a shelf, It will probably get used once a week if not less. I am not too worried about the spur gears. Andy and I strip those all the time.

Jen
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The initial price for the buggys isnt bad at all but it makes it up on spur gears and clutch bells.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:10 AM
jguitarsandcars

Jen, I was kinda trying to say the same thing as Ehoof...I do think the 2 speed has more top end...IF you have a lot of open room to run it...but I spent the money for the Syclone PRO, then spent more money converting it to the 2 needle carb and single speed transmission when I could have saved some money and gotten that in a cheaper car...Here's a link for the Nitro Engine MAIN FORUM...There are a couple good discussion threads on tuning, breaking in, and fuel, so I'll let you browse through all the individual threads to see what you find useful... http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_269/tt.htm
Old 09-14-2006, 11:52 PM
blackdogafd

hey ehroof is was thinking the same thing you were about the two speed gears stripping all the time so i figured if i get jen the xp or the bb i'll just change it to the single speed like my himoto syclone has, that way we wont "really" strip out the gears as fast lol!

the syclone we have has the vx. .18 and the single speed tranny and its fast enough as it is!
but thanks for the re-info on the two speeds
Old 11-30-2006, 03:34 PM
redlinejake

i was just wondering how bad it is to run my tornado bb with just the header and no exhaust
Old 11-30-2006, 04:00 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

it's bad, don't do it. 2 stroke RC engines rely on the exhaust not only to make power, but to also feed the fuel system and prevent excess air/fuel mixture from escaping through the header. it's also ear-splittingly loud without the pipe on there.

My suggestion is to get an Associated torque tuned pipe and run that, as opposed to pissing off your neighbors, making your engine run hot, and starving it of fuel
Old 11-30-2006, 04:44 PM
redlinejake

yea i was kinda hopin that it would be ok so i dould piss people off but had a stong doubt that it would be bad thanks do u have any recomendations as to a good pipe preferably loud
Old 12-01-2006, 10:57 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

you WANT loud? the Associated torque tuned pipe is fairly quiet, but you'll most likely see the best increase in power with that particular pipe. it's not loud, but then I've also only run it with .12s.
Old 12-02-2006, 03:52 PM
redlinejake

yea thats what mada me start looking into these cars is there noise
Old 12-31-2006, 07:45 PM
green 1

bought me one 2 my first nitro cant wait all sounds good