Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

This may sound strange.....engine start problem

Old 10-06-2006, 09:46 PM
arodss20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default This may sound strange.....engine start problem

I just bought a Volcano SV from an ebay store. I am experienced with nitro. I got it in the mail and had trouble starting it. Figured out it was a bad stock plug. Then made sure everything was set right(carb opening, primed) and i still cant get it started. So i tried dropping a few drops of fuel into the carb. It started a few times but would quickly die. I havent played with the needles at all yet. But i noticed something when priming the engine. I removed the fuel line from the exhaust end and blew into it to push fuel into the carb on the other end of the line and the fuel moved very slowly through the line, i almost ran out of breath trying to get the fuel to carry through to the end of the fuel line just to reach the carb itself. I also heard a hissing sound coming from the tank lid. Could my problems be coming from a bad tank?
Old 10-06-2006, 09:54 PM
AznBash3r

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: This may sound strange.....engine start problem

been through this exact same problem... i richened the needles out a bit, and it seemed to help. everytime i would prime the enginge, a hissing spraying noise would come out of the carb. what you do is put fuel in the carb, start the engine, keep holding throttle (no more than half throttle), and wait till the fuel gets to the carb nipple, then run normally.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:07 PM
arodss20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

When i prime the engine. I make sure i blow fuel through the line till it reaches the carb nipple i dont try and start it without fuel at the nipple. I am suspecting my problem is with a bad fuel TANK. I think the lid gasket is faulty. Its not holding pressure and when i blow into the tank line from the exhaust pipe end i find it hard to move fuel through the line. It may be an obstruction in the tank itself. or it may be the gasket. Is this kind of noise normal? Is this how the tanks are supposed to be calibrated? Is it definitely the needle settings. Ive read the support threads for engine tuning. I already know all that stuff from experience. I just cant seem to get this thing to stay running for more than a few seconds without it dying.
Old 10-06-2006, 10:40 PM
abjones413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dude, you're not even going to believe this. I myself just got a Volcano SV this Tuesday from ebay as well, new in box, and it had the same symptom. No matter how hard you blew or sucked, no fuel. And it made the hissing noise as well.
My problem was the elbow on the top of the tank leading to the carb. There was more than just cloggage, as I couldn't blow it out with my compressor. I used my dremel and cut off the elbow flush with the top of the tank. Now it comes straight out the top rather than at a 90 degree angle. I unscrewed the fitting and cut off the elbow. The fitting threaded right into the new hole. I think we may have gotten ours from a bad batch. Not to slander anyone, but was the dude's name Josh???

If you can't blow through the fuel line going into the filler cap with the one coming out of the tank off, there's your problem. Let me know what happens...

Aside from that, this truck COMPLETELY ROCKS! I have it dialed in perfectly and it rips it off the line and flies at top speed, although I've only been able to do that a couple times! I'm more of a back-yard-basher more interested in low end power and quickness, not top speed. Not that I need them yet, but check out these tires and rims I'm going to get for Christmas, or sooner if I have any say in the matter! LoL

Tires [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUM93&P=M]Masher 2000 Tires[/link]

Wheels [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM875&P=M]HPI SS Monster Wheel[/link]
Old 10-06-2006, 10:51 PM
arodss20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the input. I just got a tip from another user that a bad batch of fuel tanks were produced where the fuel pickup inside the tanks werent drilled out properly. Ill give what you said a try before i buy a new one. I know how to tune an engine and i checked the "factory settings" so i know thats not it. I think ill just make the best of this truck. It was a real bargain buy so its ok if it just craps on me. The parts are really cheap too, except alluminum but who didnt see that coming. Anyway Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:03 PM
abjones413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Once you cut the elbow flush, you should be able to see straight down to the bottom of the tank. I went through the hassle of taking my tank off. Very tedious. 16 screws and some fuel lines. Totally unnecessary. It was a simple fix and I guarantee that's your problem...
Old 10-07-2006, 06:29 PM
chubbysuncle

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Also the seal on the tank lid sucks. It's a poor design. Put some liquid soap around the tank lid an blow in the pressure tube. I bet it leaks. You'll see the bubbles.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:59 PM
abjones413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As far as the fuel tank is concerned, good thing fuel filters were invented...

Shoot, for $175 (got it NIB off ebay), I'm surprised my truck starts every day. I can't really complain about the quality for value, even if I did pay the $299 retail price. These Redcats are perfect for newbies, and upgradeable for later on down the line.

Believe me, If I had an extra $600+ laying around, I would be ripping it up Revo style, but with 2 kids in private school, a mortgage and a spitload of other bills and responsibilities, thank God for a brand like Redcat so average guys like me can still have some fun...
Old 10-07-2006, 11:53 PM
glk420247

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Amen bro I Hear ya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Popper252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hallelujah!!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 10:25 PM
arodss20

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey i just wanted to let you know the tank elbow thing was exactly the issue. I got it started, broke it in and had a blast today. The truck runs beautifly. Althought i lost both exhaust manifold screws, but got new ones and some locktite. The truck has been awesome but i think im going to swap my old radio system out of my rustler into the truck. At least the reciever and radio because on my last run today i had to shut the truck down because the steering servo wouldnt stop turning one direction. I couldnt get it to steer in the other direction at all. I did hit some water by accident earlier in the day. But the truck was fine. I dont know if its the radio or the reciever or the servo. In any case im going to try and swap before buying. So thanks for that tip, i would never have thought of that.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:50 PM
abjones413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No sweat about the tank. Glad I could help someone on this forum.

As far as the radio, Eric on the redcat live chat said that their (actually ANY ready to run package, from any manufacturer) radios are hit or miss. If we had bought ours directly from Redcat, they have a 30 day warranty on the radios.

I myself am considering upgrading. I want to go with an FM due to the fact that they catch less interference, but the guy at my LHS has a JR brand AM radio that he recommends. It's $67, marked down from $99, so it's very tempting. He said it's definitely a far better system than the one I'm running now, and it comes with the receiver and 2 servos.

If anyone would like to comment on whether should go with this AM radio or an FM, please let me know. Keep in mind I am a basher, not planning on racing and crossing frequencies with anyone, and that only paid $175 for my truck. I want an economical radio that doesn't cost more than the truck! lol Obviously not all AM radios are crap, as I've seen some that aren't cheap.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Popper252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've also got a pretty bad fuel tank. My gasket just won't seal. [:'(]
Old 10-08-2006, 11:00 PM
Popper252

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

for the radios I'd recommend taking a look at the Futaba 2pl or 2ph systems.

The 2pl is a completely digital system that has lots of cool features you can check them out [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futk01.html]here[/link].

The [link=http://www.futaba-rc.com/radios/futj13.html]2ph[/link] is setup almost exactly like the system that came stock with the truck. Has all the analog dials to adjust your trims. Only difference is that it's made by futaba.

Both come with 2 servos and a reciever.

For back yard bashing you most likely won't need an FM setup. You won't need the range and the protection from interference. I personally have the 2pl and I love the thing. Haven't had any problems with interference and I get enough range to where I almost feel uncomfortable with how far away my buggy is.
Old 10-08-2006, 11:31 PM
abjones413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks Popper. I just checked those Futabas out. Very nice. Thanks for your input on the interference and range as well. Makes me feel more comfortable to get an AM, especially for my usage. lol I know what you mean about feeling uncomfortable when they're on the verge of too far away! When you have to squint to see it, it's time to bring her back...

My LHS has 3 models in his cabinet, but I have 2 others in the surrounding area. I'll check out their inventories to compare radio packages, unless I can find one online with resonable s/h fees. I would really love to go with Futaba. It's a name you can trust!

ps Popper - I'm going to post a new thread on this subject just to get more opinions. Don't take offense, as I do value your opinion. I just want to hear other pros/cons from other drivers. Also, I'm throwing in some links to some goodies I'm going to get! hehehe
Old 10-29-2006, 01:36 PM
hpi firestorm

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the tip about the gas tank now my truck runs perfect.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:32 PM
jrider25

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dang... i have been struggling w/ getting my new hurricane xp to start for the past week now. i received it monday and have had very little time to try and play with it & get it started, but have been out of town quite a bit. i could get it to run for about 10-15 seconds at most... and this was by adding a few drops of fuel into the intake. when i get back into town i will check the tank for sure.

thanks for posting and starting this thread!

rider
Old 11-20-2006, 03:58 AM
faxman69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hello all, im new to gas rc but i like it so far ,a anyway i need some help i have a volcano sv and i think my clutchbell spring went out im not sure, it was going good then i rolled it over it ran for a cople of seconds and then died before i could pick it up. i started it and it seems to stay in gear whin i roll it on the floor it turns the moter over and i cant drive it unless i give it gas and keep it moving.. what do you think it could be???? please i need to fling some dirt soon also i need to know what kind of upgrades and where can i get them??
Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 AM
faxman69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ohh i also bought mine off ebay and thank you for the info on the fuel tank... i also had that problem... can we upgrade to biger gas tanks?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
abjones413

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
ORIGINAL: faxman69

ohh i also bought mine off ebay and thank you for the info on the fuel tank... i also had that problem... can we upgrade to biger gas tanks?
I don't see why you couldn't throw a bigger one in. If you can find one, just modify your top plate and you're in business! Good thought.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:30 PM
ChevyS10_111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im feeling the futaba 2ph for the radio system i bought one and it works great
Old 11-29-2006, 05:52 AM
jrider25

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I put in a 2ph a few weeks ago... much better radio than stock. No more servo jitters on my Hurricane XP.

Old 11-30-2006, 02:31 AM
faxman69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i just got a 125cc fuel tank for the traxxas and just 4 new holes and some cutting... its in yahoo... but i need to angle the muffler or get a smaller one if possable.. let me know what you guys think.. and i put some traxxas wheels on it #3673 and some badass moab 2.2 on it... it handles much better.... i want to try bigger rims and tires and thoughts?? i will get some pics soon
Old 12-02-2006, 08:12 PM
BigMatt

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is interesting. i never had that problem my self and i have an ebay sv.
Old 12-09-2006, 06:57 PM
CaptainBone

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

had the same problem fixed the tank but still can't get it running

Search this Thread