Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

is the redcat truggy good?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 11:51 PM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is the redcat truggy good?

is it? im kinda new at this and i wanna kno if its a bog difference between 2 speed or single
Old 10-07-2006, 12:41 AM
abjones413

Default RE: is the redcat truggy good?

Hey dude, youre just a few towns over!

From what I've heard, a single speed is great for most situations, especially when you don't need a lot of top end or high speed. If you'reon big open areas then a 2-speed would be nice.

I have a Volcano SV, which is a single speed, and it suits me just fine. Plenty of speed, quickness, high and low end and handling is great. I am a back-yard-basher, so I just pin around.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:12 AM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

dude i was in worcester yesterday! sweet..but yea i wanna get the redcat racing tsunami and its a 2 speed and it has a 3.0cc engine(.18) and other people from other forums are tellin me it will be good for me i just have to hook it up with some hop up parts to make it look better and make the performance better...so wut do u think?
Old 10-07-2006, 09:23 AM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

na onother wuestion...how come u dont just install a 2 speed trans it ur sv..i was lookin at the sv....how fast does it go? im so confused and cant make up my mind..either and SV,STX,or a TSUNAMI...can u help me decide?iiht latta...ohh yea..do u got msn messenger?if so gimme ur email....or if u thihnk im like krazy or sumthin dont...but yea latta...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:26 AM
homeroFREAKINBRASILIAN

here is the link to the tsunami im am talkin about btw....http://www.rc-tradingpost.com/nitrom...ckTsunami.html
Old 10-07-2006, 09:43 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redcats 2 speed's are not reliable, they strip spur gears, i am sure the 2 speed in the tsunami is the same as the tornado xp, read the strip gear posts on the forum.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4164599/tm.htm
Old 10-07-2006, 09:44 AM
abjones413

Hey bud, I don't use messenger or anything like that. If you need to get hold of me just send me a private message or something.

As far as me putting a 2 speed in, I don't think it's necessary at this time. I've only had my Volcano SV for 5 days, so I'm satisfied with the performance for now. Maybe in the future I can always upgrade. I saw an articleewhere in this forum last night. I couldn't estimate the speed by eye, but it's FAST! After I broke her in I took her for a coe high speed passes up and down my street. It's really quick off the line, then the hi speed needle takes over and away she goes! Liek I said I can't estimate, but the manufacturer 50+, maybe 55+. It's hard to tell with such a small scale vehicle.

Now, as far as The Tsunami... I like it, under the hood. It has very nice parts and is set up very nice. The looks didn't appeal to me, especially the cheesy wheels. I really like Monster Trucks, as I am not planning on racing, rather bashing and going over all kinds crazy rough terrain.

So far I am completely satisfied with the quality and performance of my ride. Not that I know much about it, but I would eliminate the STX from your selection. Mainly because it seems a bit cheaper quality than the SV or SV Pro. Not only does it cost less, but it just doesn't look as goodder the hood. The SV Pro is sweet. I love how it's already upgraded with all the aluminum. It costs like $100 more than the SV, but if you do the math it would cost well over $200 to upgrade my SV with all those parts. I'm a little pi$$ed, but I got mine off ebay for $195, that's including a Nitro Starter Kit and s/h... I can't really complain for my first nitro...
Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 PM
Kemo

I'd take a step up, and upgrade to 1/8 scale. Less broken parts, way more reliable... and more power.

You can do this 2 ways, get a hurricane... 2 of these:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKGN6&P=7

2 pairs of... http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSA8&P=M

and a tire of choice, 2 pairs... or these bad boys: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4p?&I=PROC1076

You can get the body posts separately if you want to run truggy body too. Going this route, will end up with a wider truck = more stability.

OR, you can buy the Earthquake itself: http://www.topspeedtoys.com/index.ph...3b936a786f2206

Earthquake will be skinnier... more prone to roll overs.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:24 PM
cng1027

SPUR GEAR PROBLEMS i got it 4 days ago and the spur gear is broke already, wasn't even done with the break in. now it's in the closet waiting on the part. but the car does haul A**
Old 11-01-2006, 05:46 AM
abjones413

I copy/pasted this from another thread (Futaba radios). I wrote it, then stumbled upon THIS thread and didn't feel like typing it again or re-wording it...

When you install your new spur gear, make sure your mesh is perfect. When the spur and clutchbell gear meet, they should have the slightest amount of play, not too sloppy. It should be just tight enough that when you push the car across a table the gears don't bind and it rolls smoothly. There's a trick that when you tighten the engine back down, you put a strip of notebook paper between the teeth. It will be just the right spacing. From what I've heard, you'r clutch spring will break shortly. It'd be in your best interest to get a spare before you need one. I personally have a Volcano SV and have had no problems until just the other day. After just about 3/4 gal. of fuel my spur is starting to wear. I caught it early and tightened my mesh and have already gotten over 4 more tanks out of it. It's all about the mesh baby...
FYI - If you keep having spur problems, you might want to change out your clutchbell with an HPI hardened steel one. Better quality, perfectly rounded. Also, the stock CB is aluminum with aluminum clutch shoes. Think about that. Poor design... It's on my to-do list.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:30 AM
jczechjr

I already added the HPI Clutch Bell and you can tell a difference. Not only does it have more top end but it seems to straighten the spur gear out and reform the teeth kind of renewing it.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:10 PM
abjones413

Cool. How many teeth did you go up? I was thinking of going from a 16 (stock Volcano SV) to an 18, but then decided maybe a 17. I don't need too much top end. I'd rather have bottom to mid range. I prefer to drive in tight quarters and obstacle course type driving.

It may not technically "straighten" out the spur gear, but most of the RCR CBs AND spur gears are out of round from the factory, so the perfectly machined hardened steel CB will prolong the life of the spur gear.

Once again, how many teeth did you go up and did you lose a lot of bottom end?