Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Professional opions wanted

I own a Volcano STX 94108. The truck has been running great and I've learned how to tune it thanks to all of the information given in these forums. I've been running the truck every other day or so without one single problem. As I was running it today, I started loosing some braking power. I took it to the local hobby shop for what I thought would be a simple adjustment to the brakes. The truck use to have a plastic sleeve and a plastic piece that you could screw the sleeve (I'm assuming to make adjustments). The shop replaced these pieces with 2 mental nuts, opened/closed the throttle a couple of times, kept making adjustments to the new metal nuts, rolled it back/fourth across the table a couple of times and said, "that should get it"

I got the car home to test out the brake job and it went 10 feet and the clutch belt broke. I called the owner of the store and explained that my truck has been running perfectly without one problem and I just had them work on it (brake adjustment) 30 mins ago and it went 10 feet and the clutch belt brakes. They looked at it and said they wouldn't fix it because nothing they didn't could have caused this. I said that your're telling me that my truck has run perfectly prior to coming to get a brake adjustment and I get it home and run it 10 feet and it the clutch belt brakes and your telling me that is the biggest coincidence in the world!

So, I'm asking for some professional opinions on whether or not the shop could have done anything, i.e., over tighten the brakes, replace the plastic sleeves/ plastic screw with the metal nuts, or anything that could have caused this damage, or was this actually the biggest coincidence in the world?

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Professional opions wanted

What are you talking about when you say clutch belt? I'm not sure what you're referring to exactly.
    Tornado Xp

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm not sure exactly what is is either. They simply told me the problem is clutch belt broke. It's the part right in front of the gear. It's a silver part (ring) that is now loose that is right in front of the gear. Hope the picture helps but you really can't see it. It's just a silver ring that is in front of the gear in the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yv66130.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	552786   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn37980.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	552787  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

clutch spring?? i am suprised you were able to go a tank without changing your clutch spring. The stock spring is garbage and needs to be replaced. replace using traxxas 4146x. the shop had nothing to do with the clutch spring breaking.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I agree, and I have upgraded the spring to that Traxxas one but it's not the spring. It's the clutch belt. It's the silver metal ring right in front of the silver gear in the picture. If you took your finger and placed it right in front of the gear, you could spin the silver part.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It looks to me like he means the clutch bell. It looks broken in the photo. I do not see how messing with the brakes could have done this unless they were adjusted until they were on all of the time and it caused the clutch to engage and the buggy to sit still and melt the clutch bell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Okay, I may have misunderstood, it may be the clutch bell. When I did bring it home, as soon as I would let off the gas, it would stop sharply on it's own without even having to apply the brake. I ran it a few more feet, again, it would stop sharply without even having to apply the brake, it would stop sharply. A few more feet and that's when it broke.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That does sound like what I was explaining above. The brakes were being applied all of the time. Which means that the clutch was spinning around inside the clutch bell with it stopped. It would only move when you gave it enough gas to defeat the brakes. I would say it was there fault. But I wouldn't replace it with a redcat clutch bell you need to put a HPI steel clutch bell on it. The model number is A993. Also the need to adjust the brakes so the only engage when you apply them.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It is your clutchbell that is broken. It probably wasn't the brakes the caused it to brake. So, there are a couple of options that you have in front of you. You can get a new clutchbell from us here at Redcat. Or.... you can upgrade the clutchbell with a steel one. A good one to use would be the Heavy Duty clutchbell for the HPI Savage. It will bolt right on there and last a good long while.
    jacob@redcatmotors.com
    www.redcatracing.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Gundamjake, even after reading jczechjr’s explanation, you still don’t believe that the brake job they did caused it? If the car dead stops on it’s own when I let off this gas, without even having to apply the brakes, it wouldn’t cause any damage and make the clutchbell brake?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

brake adjustment has nothing to do with the clutch bell, redcats clutch bells are known to fall apart, there are several pictures somewhere on this forum of this. get the hpi clutch bell, it will also help you save on spur gears in the long run.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!