Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Glow Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 04:17 AM
nantucket

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Glow Plug

I have an O.S. 18 on my Volcano and I need a new glow plug. I went to my LHS and told them that I need an O.S. #8 plug and they told me that a McCoy 8 is the same thing so I bought one, but when I got home I realized that the McCoy plug is a little bit longer (about 2mm). Is it safe to use the McCoy plug??
Old 12-05-2006, 07:17 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Glow Plug

put it in and pull the starter slow and see if it binds, i think you'll be ok but they do make longer plugs for certain motors i think.
Old 12-05-2006, 03:35 PM
blackdogafd

if you wanted to you can also use the o.s. A3 glo plug i used that in my himoto syclone and it did great, its a hot plug but it works real well to burn all the fuel in the cylinder. if you want you can also take your bad glo plug in and have them match it up with something

andy
Old 12-06-2006, 09:36 AM
mozzzy_2000

I'd stick with the OS plugs on an OS engine personally. You can sometimes alter the compression too by using a longer plug and yes those Mccoys are considerably longer and more suited to high performance engines like a novas or RB etc. I have engines that seem to work better with the shorter os plugs whereas I have others that don;t run well at all with the shorter plugs and require the long shafts.

I'd start with an OS plug first and see how the perfomance goes. OS#8 is great for general use and the OSA3 being a very hot plug is very useful for breaking in to burn the excessive fuel on a rich setting. Would also be a good choice for you fellas in the US where I believe its getting darn cold!
Old 12-06-2006, 10:06 AM
blackdogafd

ORIGINAL: mozzzy_2000

I'd stick with the OS plugs on an OS engine personally. You can sometimes alter the compression too by using a longer plug and yes those Mccoys are considerably longer and more suited to high performance engines like a novas or RB etc. I have engines that seem to work better with the shorter os plugs whereas I have others that don;t run well at all with the shorter plugs and require the long shafts.

I'd start with an OS plug first and see how the perfomance goes. OS#8 is great for general use and the OSA3 being a very hot plug is very useful for breaking in to burn the excessive fuel on a rich setting. Would also be a good choice for you fellas in the US where I believe its getting darn cold!
yea you could say its gettin cold here! lol! its been in the teen's up to the mid 20's around by me for the past 2 weeks. All of my nitros have been put away for while, i wont run them when it this cold out!!!

andy
Old 12-07-2006, 09:40 AM
mozzzy_2000

if its not really wet or snowing, nitros run sweet in the cold hey!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:38 PM
abjones413

ORIGINAL: nantucket

I have an O.S. 18 on my Volcano and I need a new glow plug. I went to my LHS and told them that I need an O.S. #8 plug and they told me that a McCoy 8 is the same thing so I bought one, but when I got home I realized that the McCoy plug is a little bit longer (about 2mm). Is it safe to use the McCoy plug??
Use the washer from the original plug you took out so there's 2. Even if it doesn't make it exactly the same length, don't worry. The top of the piston shouldn't hit the plug...
Old 12-08-2006, 12:56 AM
nantucket

Thanks for the help guys, I figured that one of you would be able to shine some light on this for me. I'll look for OS plugs locally but I already have a bunch of the McCoys so I am going to try those first. Oh and mozzzy, Yeah it's pretty F'n cold over here, it is a balmy 19* F with a wind chill of 8* as I write this. Brrrrr
Old 12-08-2006, 06:33 AM
mozzzy_2000

crikey thats making me feel cold!! LOL. Obviously its summer here in Oz. Not too hot yet but its going to get to an average of 100F ++.