Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

increase top speed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 03:13 PM
nitrospeed33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: increase top speed?

whats it mean to port and polish it? im sorry, i should know.[&o]allboutfun said something about port and polish it, and does it cost much to do??
Old 12-20-2006, 06:25 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

whats it mean to port and polish it? im sorry, i should know.[&o]allboutfun said something about port and polish it, and does it cost much to do??

You pull the sleeve out of the engine and smooth all the rough edges so there like glass, and grind the exhaust port so it better matches the actual exhaust port in the block. Also on the VX engines I have found the bottom of the crank shaft has a crappy unsmoothed molding edge and it actually rubs very very very slightly on the crank case housing, so I take my connecting rod and smooth and polish it so the fuel and air can flow smoothly around the crank into the engine. In it's most basic that is what porting in polishing is you take all the rough edges and areas and make them glass smooth so the fuel and air can flow smoothly into and out of the engine. Gives a nice little power boost. Oh and buy the way, I was wrong about your exhaust you bought I hadn't noticed the smaller outlet, I wasn't paying attention, but as for the clutch bells I guess it depends on how many Hobbytowns you have competeing against each other to get a good price. There's 10 in our area so that maybe why I can get better prices at Hobbytown than I can from Tower. Anyway wanted to say sorry I appologize.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:37 PM
nitrospeed33

dude, it doesn't matter. I dont care.and maybe that could be why you have cheaper prices. thanks for the help. also when you say you smooth all the parts, where do you smooth? on the inside where the pistin rubs against the sleeve, or somewhere else?? and is this a fairly easy job?? do you have any links to senf me?? thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 07:47 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

dude, it doesn't matter. I dont care.and maybe that could be why you have cheaper prices. thanks for the help. also when you say you smooth all the parts, where do you smooth? on the inside where the pistin rubs against the sleeve, or somewhere else?? and is this a fairly easy job?? do you have any links to senf me?? thanks
Well it's not something I would take on with a good engine never having done it before. it's not the piston that rubs on the sleeve. The very bottom of the connecting rod along the casting seam, it rubs very very very lightly on the inside bottom of the crank case at high Rpms. You would need a dremal tool, brass polish, several different styles of dremal sanders and grinders, dremal buffers, patience and some level of skill to be sure not to get brass polish on the chrome or the aluminum parts, you also need aluminum and chrome polish. It's not the kind of thing to just jump into with out practicing on some junk sleeves and blocks. If your serious about wanting to learn or try it and don't have a junk sleeve and block, I've got tons of them I would be willing to send you to try it out on, there going in the trash in a few weeks.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:55 PM
nitrospeed33

i think ill pass then, but i am gonna try to open up the header in the exhaust system. i know how to do that and that shoudl give me a little extra power, right?? i did some reaserch on it. it just lets the gas flow eaasier. so im gonna try that. but the other stuff sounds really scary.[]okay, thanks for the help!!
Old 12-20-2006, 08:51 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

right exactally, it lets the gasses flow smoothly out of the engine. If your going to do that, make sure you match your gasket to your exhaust port or you'll defeat the purpose.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:15 PM
nitrospeed33

so im just making the header opening as large as the engine opening, right?
Old 12-20-2006, 09:35 PM
nitro_racer_1
My Feedback: (2)

u can have yor motor sent out to places like t&t mods or massive mods (which is sponcered by himoto, which is the same cars as red cat) and they will port polish, dyno, and everything else that can be done to your engine for about $70, its agood value and it really does produce results, i saw in your other post that u bought a new pipe, thats good, but did u get a header? a header is the best performace upgrade u can do for fairly cheap, a less restictive header will give u alot more power. as for fule, iv run odonnle, traxxas, blue thunder, white lightning, and side winder, and i like side winder the best because it actually does what it says its supposed to, increase power and reduce temp, and its the only fule iv run that actually does that. but what ever u do DO NOT try porting or polishing the motor your self chances are u WILL ruin it, have a pro do it.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:46 PM
nitrospeed33

i didn't get the header cause another guy on here told me I dont need it. im just gonna open up the header a little, and try to increase power that way. also i dont have 70$ to spend on getting a dyno and all that jazz. I think ill just do simple little adjustments myself. im not new to nitro cars so its not like im gonna wreck my car trying something big. ill just stay small. i like to get the fastest car possible, but i dont like to spend money unless i win it somehow.lol. i wish i could win money. but the tornado is pretty fast stock and im good at getting a really good tune and with the new gears and pipe i ordered, i should be okay.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:03 PM
nitro_racer_1

yeah i wouldent spend the money for it either, but who ever told u not to get a header was wrong, it IS the best up grade u can do for cheap trust me i had a team infinity .18 and it was totaly different with a header it really makes a difference, the stock one is just designed to be restricted, trust me get a header any header that is made out of round pipe is going to be less restrictive than the stock one, and u cant round out the stock one much cuz its square.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:05 PM
nitrospeed33

which header should I buy?? let me know fast, im oredering tonight.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:11 PM
nitrospeed33

does anyone know, i need an answer fast. i gotta order within half an hour. thanks
Old 12-20-2006, 10:15 PM
nitro_racer_1

give me a sec and il get a link fr u just a min.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:16 PM
mozzzy_2000

not sure mate for that particular engine. Didn;t realise it was a .18. I'd use caution using 33% nitro in that engine. They only recommend 16% for that engine.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:20 PM
nitro_racer_1

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXSP45&P=7 no 16% is not enough nitro content, stick with 20%
Old 12-20-2006, 10:21 PM
nitro_racer_1

thats a link to a header by the way
Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 PM
nitrospeed33

thanks a lot nitro racer 1.
Old 12-20-2006, 10:24 PM
nitro_racer_1

np that header should work great, let me know how it works out
Old 12-20-2006, 10:48 PM
nitrospeed33

okay, sure thing. i have thses upgrades for my tornado that are on their way. how fast do you think i could go with this set up. if i ran traxxas 20% fuel with a os a3 hot plug, and with the pipe and header that you showed me and with these trans parts

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR2&P=K

by the way i have a 2speed .18 tornado bb. I just want to know what you guys think. also i was gonna run traxxas 33% with a os a5 hot plug(and yes this is safe, i asked redcat and my hobby shop) but this will be later on. how fast do you think i could go with that. im really big into speed, maybe you noticed.thanks for the help
Old 12-20-2006, 10:54 PM
nitro_racer_1

LOL so am i, did u know that that is the same link 4 times? u did also buy the gears that thread onto the bel right? well i think they do around 40 stock so it should hit around 50 i would think, btw do u have the team infinty motor?
Old 12-20-2006, 11:07 PM
nitrospeed33

sorry about the link, and yes i have the right gears and all and no i dont have the team infinity motor. also the stock speed on the bb is 50mph according to redcat. ebay says 60 so i dont think redcats lying, or theyd say somethin like 70 lol. so what do you think the speed will be now?? heres the right link. sorry about the first one.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXDHM0&P=K

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXCLR9&P=K

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUR89&P=7
Old 12-20-2006, 11:12 PM
nitro_racer_1

no they dont do 50 stock and the ebay this is a misprint (himoto admited it themselvs) rc driver tested the himoto rapida pro which is the sam just an on road version and it did 42mph. yeah thats a great setup, but i still think that u would be doing awesome to hit 55, but hey thats faster than any stock 1/10th except for the 3.3s and the cen onroad car.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:18 PM
nitrospeed33

dude, call redcat and ask them yourself. they say 50mph which is slower than any add on the websites that try to sell them, which really means somethin. but whatever. so you think thats a good setup?? sweetand you wanna know somethin totally stupid, i dont even have my dang car yet.lol, but i have the fuel and all the stuff ready.lol
Old 12-20-2006, 11:22 PM
nitro_racer_1

lol well your be set, and no matter how fast it goes, it will be fun, and insane, lol. i had fun with my buggy tell i tuned it into a truggy,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47637.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	581101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65465.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	581102  
Old 12-20-2006, 11:24 PM
nitro_racer_1

and im still haven fun! lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.