Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Newb needs help with tornado s30

Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Mikeydank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb needs help with tornado s30

Just got my first Nitro buggy, the tornado s30 obviously, finally got my fuel in yesterday so I went to the garage to start the break in process on the engine. Got it primed and started on like 8 pulls. The tires were spinning pretty good at idle so I went to turn the idle screw (it doesn't say but my guess was to the left to decrease the tire speed). Well after about a turn and a half I realized I was turning the HSN like an idiot, so I attempted to get it back to where it was at and mess with the idle screw. The engine started revving pretty high and the wheels were spinning faster and faster so I pinched the gas line and killed it. After about 45 mins of turning screws, trying things, and epicly failing, I've decided to come to the people who know best. I guess what I'm asking for is a good starting point with the HSN and idle screw. Say if I were to screw them all the way in how many full turns out for each one to get to a good base ground. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and thanks for taking the time to read this.
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Newb needs help with tornado s30

Your going to get all kind of answers to this question. Some will say 3.5 turns out, others will say 2.5. I say don't get too worried about it. Turn the HSN out until is flush with the sleeve its in. Even if you come out too much it will just be set richer which is fine for break in. As far as your idle goes, pop the air filter off and look into the carb. Turn your electronics on. You should see a tiny gap in the barrel. As you turn in the idle screw you'll see the gap increase. This will let more air in and it will idle higher. You only want a tiny gap "approx 1mm". If the gap is not there, when you hit the brakes your car will stall. The idle screw also prevents the barrel from completely closing.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

also, with breaking in the motor you will see many options.
I idled my 1st tank with the wheels off the ground. as long as the motor isnt revving real high its fine.
2,3 and 4th tanks I did figure "8"s in the garage, going alittle bit faster with each tank.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 AM
Mikeydank

Ok I got it idling much smoother now. Haven't got the wheels to stop spinning completely but when I put it on the ground it doesn't go anywhere. I've been backing the idle screw out to slow the wheels but I can only go so far before it wants to cut out, in which case I was screwing in the LSN a hair, correct procedure? I'd really like to get it at a healthy idle to where the wheels are at rest. And yes I'm running the first tank down and then I plan on doing figure 8's as well.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Dads like rc too

Its ok if the wheels want to spin a little while on the block, as long as they're free wheeling. When its on the ground with a load on the drivetrain it will stay put.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:40 AM
Mikeydank

Ok. Something's not right. I had unscrewed the idle screw too far just playing with it. I understand there's a notch in the barrel inside the carb. I got it back in the notch, but when I turn it to the right it keeps the barrel from being able to turn. Also, when the idle screw is backed out to where the throttle will turn, the LSN moves freely in and out, which I'm guessing shouldn't happen. There's two holes in the barrel, one on the top one on the bottom. I'm guessing the top is the idle port and the bottom is the throttle hole. Sorry I'm asking so many questions I'm just trying to figure out why this is happening because the idle screw didn't cause the barrel to lock up like this before and I can't seem to figure out why this is happening.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Dads like rc too

It sounds like somehow the idle screw is wedged against the barrel. Then when you loosen it, its too far out letting the barrel float in and out. Make sure the idle screw is installed correctly.