Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Trouble starting brand new Tornado s30

Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Trouble starting brand new Tornado s30

Old 09-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Torch39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble starting brand new Tornado s30

Tryed to start my brand new S30 to start the break in process but the thing would not start. Ifollowed the directions to the letter. Put my finger over the exhaust hole to prime the line, put a small amount of nitro in the carb. Pull start was very hard to pull for the entire time. Thought maybe was flooded so Ipulled the glow plug and pulled the pull start a few times to get out access nitro but when Iput it back together still was hard to pull. Engine did turn over few times for a split second but then stalled right out. No idea what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions would be great thxs.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:06 AM
ClammyBallz

Default RE: Trouble starting brand new Tornado s30

My engine was a little tempermental to break in too, but once you break it in, it starts just about every time on the first try. Hang in there, you'll get there.
My problem was that the idle speed was set too low. You have to adjust the carb so it is open 1mm and then dial in the throttle trim on the radio. When you get the engine running, it's going to want to run away on you. I put it in front ofa wall and left it run for a tank after I adjusted the idle speed so it wasn't wearing on the clutch. After each tank you have to make minor adjustments. In the process you have to set the idle speed so the engine will still run when you brake but not run fast enough that it wears down the clutch.

Here are some guides that helped me along the way.

http://www.rctoysnh.com/pdf/quickstart.pdf

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/vide...f790b0509c1c1b

BTW, get the electric starter, it is a lot easier to start. You can get just the starter panel and the drill wand and use a drill to start it if you don't want to buy the whole kit.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:37 AM
RCToysNh

Clammy is right , but also check the glow plug and igniter. pull the plug and attach to igniter, you should get steady glow. If not the igniter may need charging. Make sure the gasket for the plug is there when you reinstall. Also flooded engine would make it hard to pull. with plug removed turn vehicle upside down and pull the starter a few times.
Old 09-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Torch39

Thxs for the info. Igot pretty furstrated yesturday. Iam going to give it another try today. Iactually already ordered the eltric starter kit last night. Iremeber how much I hate pull start. If i still cant get it started im sure the eletric starter will do the trick lol.
Old 09-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Torch39

Man I almost had it. Freakin glow plug ignitor battery went died. Is it normal for that to happen from prolonged trying to start it yesturday?? Igot the plew start working pretty good but it would not fire up. Ichecked 2 glow plugs both did not get glow orange. So i pluged the ignitor in for about 10 mins tired again and they lit up. Itried to start the car again it almost fired and kept running but the ignitor died again. So now im charge it all day and try again tonight.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:06 PM
Mickstix

Yea, the glow ignitors are a pain in the butt. Especially the cheap ones that come in those "all in one" kits.. Id get a spare asap, cause they'll drive you crazy if you dont have one.. ALso, to make the engine start easier, use a heat gun or hair dryer and heat the engine and head up before you try to start it.. Will make it much easier to start, and prolong the internals of the engine as well!
Old 09-08-2010, 06:11 PM
cswtornado

He got it running. Just FYI, hes got a new thread about breaking it in. Post there.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:23 PM
cc_83

I have a tornado s30 and it starts everytime no problems with breaking in the engine, but what happened is the servo went out on me. I was wondering if I could if I could use a Acme B1026 3 Kg Servo 02073 in replaecment for the servo. I need to know this because redcat don't have that part and it's discontinued. So anyone can please tell me if I could use that part. Thanks...
Old 01-16-2011, 09:29 AM
SmgHunter

3kg is too weak. do yourself a really good favor and get the traxxas 2075 servo. its waterproof too.