Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

whats the best cleaning spray?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:11 PM
dclintonh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best cleaning spray?

intake cleaner, brake clean, alc??
Old 12-19-2006, 11:37 PM
nitrospeed33

Default RE: whats the best cleaning spray?

I know this isn't traxxas but when I had thier car with a trx 2.5 they said the best way to clean the engine was to spray a burst of wd-40 in to the carb and into the glowplug hole and then rotate the piston using the easy start that traxxas has, we would have to pull the pull start a couple times. This did clean the engine real good, and kept it from getting all crapped up. The 2.5 is an engine just like the .18, so thats what I would. Check first though. But it should work. what do the rest of you think??
Old 12-19-2006, 11:59 PM
bluecaka69

clean what car itself or inside engine nitro cleaner or denatural alchol works good for all around cleaning
Old 12-20-2006, 12:00 AM
Kemo

non chlorinated brake cleaner for cleaning up the chassis end external parts of the engine.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:04 AM
nitrospeed33

was the wd-40 okay to use???it worked on the traxxas. and how much do those other cleaner cost??
Old 12-20-2006, 12:07 AM
zack221

the wd prob wont hurt it but on another website i heard the nitro cleaner isnt too good
Old 12-20-2006, 12:07 AM
Kemo

the topic is cleaning, not after run oils...

wd-40 doesn't evaporate like brake clean does.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:09 AM
nitrospeed33

so using wd-40 isn't bad then? it should clean okay?
Old 12-20-2006, 12:10 AM
nitrospeed33

besides, wd-40 is really cheap!
Old 12-20-2006, 12:11 AM
zack221

yea i know he is talking about cleaning chassis parts but i was answering nitros question also simple green works well on plastic parts
Old 12-20-2006, 12:17 AM
nitrospeed33

dude, kemo cleanig the engine is a whole lot more important then cleaning the outside. we should let him know what good engine cleaners he should use. actually cleaning the outside is important, but you know what i meant
Old 12-20-2006, 12:38 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Baby wipes, simple green and denatured alcohol mixed, 3 in one oil inside engine, don't leave wd-40 sitting in the engine it has small amounts of water mixed in it and will eventually rust your insides plus it doesn't stick or cling to the metal surface like normal oil it kind of acts like water on a metal surface, not sure how to explain that any better, also break cleaner is ok for the outsides, but in the long run it's very bad for the Teflon parts can make them brittle.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:44 AM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

dude, kemo cleanig the engine is a whole lot more important then cleaning the outside. we should let him know what good engine cleaners he should use. actually cleaning the outside is important, but you know what i meant

why should you have to clean the inside of your engine? If you take proper care of it, nothing will get inside of it to begin with. And when you use a high quality fuel, you burn clean anyways.

You should never have to clean the internals of your engine. If you do, then you obviously aren't treating your engine well.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:23 PM
nitrospeed33

WHAT!![X(] you mean you never clean your cars engine inside. even if you do have good quality fuel that has good oils and all you still have to clean the engine occasionally. eventually the leftover fuel that wasn't burned from the last run time will corrode your engine.its always good to clean your car after every use and occasionally clean the inside to prevent rust or crappy fuel getting dried up in there. My friends never cleaned there cars engines and there cars ended up being crap. they paid me to take off the cooling head and clean every square inch of thier cars. they had dried up fuel corroding the piston and sleeve and they had a hard time starting their car.there was tons of sludge holding there car back. Its always good to clean the inside. especailly if your not going to use the car for a week or so. their cars would always work really nice after I gave their cars a good cleaning. it helps and will keep it livin longer.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:30 PM
Kemo

again, I never end up with crap inside my engines, no build up, nothin, therefore I never have to clean them. The only time I tear my engines apart is when its time for a rebuild.

NOTE, my engines live a good 10+ gallons.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:40 PM
zack221

yea kemos right if you have it tuned right you dont have to worry about it
Old 12-20-2006, 12:48 PM
Kemo

Quality fuels have anti rust inhibitors, detergents (natural in oil) and so on. After run oils also help protect.
Old 12-20-2006, 02:17 PM
{GBI}Harryball

ORIGINAL: Kemo

Quality fuels have anti rust inhibitors, detergents (natural in oil) and so on. After run oils also help protect.
True, but varnish can still build up for some people. We do have some new people here.
Old 12-20-2006, 03:04 PM
nitrospeed33

its not bad to clean the inside every once in a while. its good. and even if you dont really need to you can and it could probably help. you definetly need the afterun oil and clean the inside if your not going to use your car for over a week. even if that fuel is good fuel when its fresh, its gonna go bad after a couple days. trust me, my friends cars are a perfect example.
Old 12-20-2006, 06:31 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: nitrospeed33

its not bad to clean the inside every once in a while. its good. and even if you dont really need to you can and it could probably help. you definetly need the afterun oil and clean the inside if your not going to use your car for over a week. even if that fuel is good fuel when its fresh, its gonna go bad after a couple days. trust me, my friends cars are a perfect example.

I have to agree with Kemo, there isn't really any reason to take the engine apart if you don't have to, your just asking for trouble. If you run your car out of fuel and get as much fuel as possible out of the engine before putting it up it shouldn't be a problem. I am sure most of you probably use after run oil, but I personally use 3 in one oil, it breaks up the caster oil and does a nice job of keeping the inside lubed over a long period of time, just my preference.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 PM
nitrospeed33

3 in 1 oil works good? thats awesome. sweet. I really dont want to spend tons of money on specail after run oil.but i still think the wd-40 will work good. even you just said you use an afterrun oil. and you also said you dont need to, so what are you saying, use it or not? Personally i do it cause i can see an improvement when i clean mine.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

no, no, I said,"I am sure most of you probably use after run oil." I Use 3 in one oil. That's what I use, it's always worked good for me, but every one has there own opinion on what to and not to use.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:57 PM
nitrospeed33

so then you think using after run oil is okay then, on occasion, to keep the engine good?
Old 12-20-2006, 08:48 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

yes, after run oil is good stuff, I just prefer 3 in one oil. If you have some already I would use it after every run till it's gone, don't waste it. 3 in one oil is cheaper and more common and easy to buy anywhere. Plus ya get more for your money, lol.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:14 PM
nitrospeed33

you mean you put it in your engine?? after every time you drive??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.