Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Afterrun oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:43 PM
zeen420
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Afterrun oil

ORIGINAL: rc_crazy21

ORIGINAL: zeen420

i have to diagree with using WD40, it isnt a lubricant, its more of a penitration lube that drys out, i have never put WD in any engine and thats why

Everyone has their opinions! WD40 will not harm your motor in any way, some like using it and some like using after run oil! I use nothing and still have all factory motors in everything i own and have owned some of them for more than 8 years(still driving them as well)!

"Everyone has their opinions!"
well i said i disagreed and that was my opinion, and so far i have been told i was wrong twice? just had to point it out
Old 01-06-2008, 04:33 PM
TNIGS

i heard that you could just use 10-30w motor oil. anyone use this?
Old 01-06-2008, 04:38 PM
rc_crazy21

ORIGINAL: TNIGS

i heard that you could just use 10-30w motor oil. anyone use this?

That i would not use as it is pretty thick oil! Stick with after run oil, WD40 or something similar!
Old 01-06-2008, 06:26 PM
zeen420
Banned

Ok this was a little write-up i found, not by me...

NEVER, ever, use WD40! WD40 is not a good lubricant despite the claims on the label. Legend has it that the WD stands for Water Displacer - which is one of the functions of WD40 when used to coat tools for rust prevention. WD40 is much too thin to do any good as a general lubricant and will quickly collect dirt and dry up. It is also quite flammable and a pretty good solvent - there is no telling what will be affected by this.

So i just dont want to see a newbie coming in here and not reading thru the posts and getting the impression its a lube, and alot of this is from experience in a mechanical backround working with small engines.
Old 09-15-2009, 11:55 AM
dakotanut

I have some ARO and haven't used it yet. I run mine every day. Is this just for when storing the nitro engine for awhile? Does the piston have to be in the bottom of the cylinder? Does the piston have to stay in the bottom of the cylinder after it is run?
Old 09-15-2009, 12:46 PM
rjsdad

Zeen420...I know that you did not write that, but I understood that you use WD-40 to prevent rust just like tha after run oil would. Using the nitro can (in time) cause rust in the engine. I also heard you should let the engine cool down with the poston a bottom dead center and store it like that as well.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:36 PM
chevyderek72

Yes, take your glow plug out and look at when your piston hits bottom dead center, mark your flywheel somewhere so you know where its at without taking the glow plug out, so when your done running you just put that mark on the flywheel in the same spot and your done. If you dont put your piston at bdc and leave it at tdc, you will loose the pinch on your sleeve and have to buy a new one.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:44 PM
dakotanut

Ok. Great. I hope I didn't do that. I run mine so much lately that I forget little things like that. So go ahead and use the ARO after I run it? Even though I use it daily? Maybe use less oil then the 2 - 3 drops per cylinder and carb? Use maybe 1 - 2 instead?
Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
chevyderek72

If i plan on not running mine for a while, like a week or so, i use afterrun oil, if im gonna use it in a day or two or something i dont use it.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:03 PM
dakotanut

Ok. That is all I need to know. I sure appreciate the replies.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:23 PM
chevyderek72

Hey no problem man.