Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Why does my arm feel like i am trying to start a 350 V8 with a pul string???

Old 01-05-2007, 05:52 PM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Why does my arm feel like i am trying to start a 350 V8 with a pul string???

I think I have pulled my arm out of its socket for the last time trying to get me Volcano sv stared! I have tried everything to get it to run right except take it to a hobby shop and have a tech or someone who knows what they are doing help me out! I just dont get it i have built a 10.5 second 1/4 mile mustang but i cant get a nitro truck to idel!! Any way enough crying from me my question is where can i get a starter for the truck. I want something that will start the truck 100 times and burn out 100 glow plugs so i can tune the thing with out feeling like i just left golds gym!!! any Help [:@][:@]
Old 01-05-2007, 06:22 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Why does my arm feel like i am trying to start a 350 V8 with a pul string???

make sure the carburator has a 1mm opening, if not adjust it using the screw below the opening, its the one with the spring on it, the idle may be set to low. Your cluch spring may be broken, you can check by starting with the wheels off the ground. see if this helps, if not read the nitro troubleshooting thread
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 PM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Why does my arm feel like i am trying to start a 350 V8 with a pul string???

ALso, I know this sounds stupid, but make sure you are priming it.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:47 PM
dclintonh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if the spring is not broken, and you get it to start. its not very good for it but run it fast in a big parking lot, 2or3 tanks.
and once its broken in, it will be alot better. these motors are so tight new they hardly run at all. i had to run mine pretty hard the 1st day to keep it from cutting off.
i had the hard to pull prob too. alittle 3in1 oil helps to.
hope it gets going 4 ya.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:04 PM
mozzzy_2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Quote:
if the spring is not broken, and you get it to start. its not very good for it but run it fast in a big parking lot, 2or3 tanks.
and once its broken in, it will be alot better. these motors are so tight new they hardly run at all. i had to run mine pretty hard the 1st day to keep it from cutting off.
Not tyring to discourage you but thats a bad bit of advice!! No its not very good at all!! Do not run it fast for the first 2-3 tanks!! that will very much likely kill your engine off very very fast. Take it easy for the run in. It should never been run fast during breaking in.

Use the advice from the guys above and if you are unsure of the run in procedure, just ask.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:30 PM
nitrospeed33

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

could it be that its flooded or is this a brand new car? also you could open up the back plate where the pulstart is. look and there and it could be something very simple.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:37 PM
mozzzy_2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

just sounds ike a tuning issue to me. Base settings should be around 3 turns from closed on the HSN' and the LSN should be about flush with the throttle collar. That should be the ball park setting for getting the engine to start.

There are easier ways to start including a rotostart or starterbox. Saves you an arm and knuckles!!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 PM
giddyuperic

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

They are all right. I take it it's a new motor. So get out the old hair dryer and warm the engine up and then it should be much easy to start and break in there is a breaking thead that's the best on here. So good luck and enjoy
Old 01-05-2007, 11:57 PM
dclintonh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

im not saying to run the he!! out of it. im just saying run it hard enough to keep running.
its gotta stay runnig to ever loosen up. in my case it was so tight and sounded very metalic when i pulled the starter, i could tell it was cutting off cause of the fricton in the motor.
i never said to run wide open.
or even close to it.
sorry to miss lead someone on that.
Old 01-06-2007, 01:36 AM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

no it ran sweet for the breakin period then i crashed it. hasnt been the same sence.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:27 AM
mozzzy_2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

still running?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

still havent herd if there is a starter for my truck? i really think if i dont need to pull it i can get the carb dialed in and can stop complaining to everyone! i dont know much about this stuff but i think i have herd about startters that replace the pull strat system is this true?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:29 PM
zack221

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yea its a roto start you use a drill to start the car
Old 01-07-2007, 10:30 PM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

where do i get it?
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFET0&P=M, this is a direct bolt on, i have it on one of my redcats, if you have the engine tuned correctly you wont need to pull like crazy, i would suggest getting this one because it has the starter wand, a cordless drill doesnt really have the rpm's to turn it over fast like the rotostart wand.
Old 01-07-2007, 10:38 PM
zack221

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

here is a link
http://cgi.ebay.com/TIGER-DRIVE-S686...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TIGER-DRIVE-S680...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
zack221

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

either one of these that me and ehroof posted will work
Old 01-08-2007, 02:42 PM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its not that i have to pull hard to get it to run, or that it takes a long time its just that i am lazy nothing else just lazy!!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:44 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

LOL, at least your honest!!!!!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:50 PM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

so sence we are on the honest subject which one of the roto starters is more for a novice like my self to install?
Old 01-08-2007, 02:53 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i am more partial to the one i posted, it comes with everything including the wand for a few dollars more that the sullivan one. You will need a 7.2 battery and charger for it to work though. they are operate pretty much the same way and are very easy to install.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:56 PM
kyl3sv

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sweet just ordered it thank you guys for all the imput! E you rock.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:39 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks bro, you should be happy with it.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:43 PM
MiniCwik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will this pull starter replace the stock one when it goes out? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXGEG6&P=7

If not, can anyone please link me to one that will?

Trying to prepare a spare parts inventory of some of the common things I would need to replace.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:40 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

that will fit

Search this Thread