Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL" Tsunami thread

Old 06-08-2007, 04:29 PM
ENR_Kyle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Tsunami thread

I have had my Tsunami for about 2 weeks, I have about 20 tanks threw, still on the original clutchbell and clutch shoes + spring.. (pic at bottom of the clutch bell after about 15 tanks).... anyway I am VERY happy with this truck. I paid $150 plus $20 shipping.. and it included a starter kit. all i needed was fuel.. I can not believe this price. This thing has taken a BEATING to. I have flipped it so much. I broke one part so far, it was a C-Hub wich was only $4 to replace.. Thats another thing I cant believe how cheep parts are for a redcat.. I though with an unknown brand it would be a big headache trying to get parts, but its not.. I broke my truck in using heat cycling.. i replced the stock glow plug after brakin (total 10 tanks).. with a OS A3 and this is by FAR the best engine (easiest to tune) I have ever owned. I have had 4 nitro cars/trucks before this and I could never get them to run/stay running. I would always sell them out of anger. this things runs all day, starts with one pull.. Tunes so easy.. I LOVE IT.. it has tons of low end, and once it hits second it has tons of top end also, I would not say 60MPH like they say, but atleast 45-50mph.. overall a GREAT value. At this price I plan to get a few more people into this awsome hobby!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj22479.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	700084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj27473.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	700085   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp34525.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	700086  
Old 06-08-2007, 04:31 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya there are a decent amount of HPI parts that fit on the cars, like the hpi 2 speed threaded clutch bell and gears, clutch shoes, the dog bones from the MT are 88mm and so are the dog bones on the volcano and a few of the other cars (HPI dogbones are thicker), THen this optional aluminum steering linkage from Hot Bodies works great [link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_19_74&products_id=935]http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_19_74&products_id=935[/link]
Coupled with this Team Associated servo saver [link=http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_19_74&products_id=934]http://allaboutfunhobbies.com/store/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=2_19_74&products_id=934[/link] make for a nice steerign upgrade, need a small mod to the A-Arms but nothing more than a slight shave off to avoid rubbing, but other wise it works great. THere's a lot more stuff that swaps over too. Some people have modified MT gear boxes to fit and so on.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
dwmchenry750

Thanks for the links. Has enybody actually raced theirs against other truggies? How does it fair? I know it does not handle like my T4 and the T4 is probably faster with a mod 14x2 but the sound of the gas engine is too cool.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM
dwmchenry750

I would have to agree that they are tough. When you broke your hub did teh bottom screw come out? I had this happen at teh track and it threw my dogbone. It took about 1/2 hour to find it and its slightly bent. I think the use of the fine thread screws lets the plastic strip too easy. I plane to change all the fine pitch screw to a better suited thread. I have also noticed that teh e-clips tend to come off teh a-arms. You can fix this with a little super glue - just be careful not use too much or you will have problems later.

Believe it or not I am still on my original plug - its clean and glows bright. Did changing teh plug help? I know that I have a teribble problem idling until the motor gets warmed up.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
ENR_Kyle

it was the bottom that broke, and the screw was haning out when I looked at it. I dono if that helped it, but for $4 to fix it, im not worried.. I have an extra now also, so it was really only $2... I have been bashin on and off all day.. nothing broke yet.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:43 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Well, I have a customer that runs a Cen Premier 4 truggy (which is basicaly the same idea, a truggy based off a truck design) and another customer that has a tsunami and both the Cen and the Redcat have the exact same engines same gear ratios, but I have noticed when were all at the track that the cen is has more punch in the low end, hence it gets off the line and down the track faster. After us checking them out to see what the differences are we only noticed one major difference and that was the pipe cen uses. Cen uses dual stinger dual chamber exhaust and it seems to make excellent use of the engines torque power to take off faster.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

and there 2 speed set up is much better
Old 06-13-2007, 12:48 PM
dwmchenry750

Has anybody had any bad gas leaks? I started mine up and igas was running around the tank and chassis so bad I could not find the leak fro all teh gas everywhere. I plan to search for the leak tonight but wanted to see if anybody had this type of problem before?
Old 06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
dwmchenry750

Found my leak. Broken tank where the mounting ears come out from the tank body. Not sure how I could have brokne the tank in this location. Has anybody else ever borken their tank? Does anybody know if someone elses tank will fit? I would like to run this weekend without waiting for parts.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:01 PM
rclynx

Has anybody else ever borken their tank?
borken HhHeHeHe glad I'm not the only one who does that. Yea they break quit a bit if there are not rubber washers or O rings attached where the tank mounts because of the vibration. Make sure when you mount a new one the crews are not run down on it and that there is some kind of cushion for the vibration. Hell I can't spell either and I'm to lazy to change the word.......but you get the idea[&o]
Old 06-23-2007, 05:15 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when you mount a new crews huh???
Old 06-23-2007, 08:13 PM
rclynx

LMAO see I told ya its nice not to be the only one................................I got tears in my eye's when I saw that [sm=bananahead.gif]
when you mount a new crews huh???
Old 08-19-2007, 09:28 AM
jamesv

can you get the quick start for the tsunami. and is it a pain in they ass to change it.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:18 PM
ehroof

redcat sells a rotostart setup and you can use the hpi setup too, its pretty easy, just take 4 screws out, take off the pullstart and put the new backplate on the same way.
Old 08-19-2007, 09:15 PM
rclynx

The unit the ehroof is talking about is pretty good, just make sure you you get a 2000 maH+ battery for it our you won't be happy[&o]
Old 08-23-2007, 04:39 PM
BackYardRacer

My brother has a tsunami. He doesnt really take care of it like he should. Like he'll let it sit a couple of days pretty dirty and no after run oil in it. After a couple of days sitting we drove it again and it will shut off at a random time while driving. Is that from not putting after run oil in the motor?? It runs fine it will just shut off randomly. After it shuts off it starts back up very easily. its just a pain in the butt starting it like 6 different times in 1 tank of gas. And im sure somethings wrong. It might be tuning im not sure. all i kno is he let it sit like 6 days when his clutch spring broke. finally got it fixed the next week and it started cutting off randomly. just wondering what could cause that.
Old 08-23-2007, 04:51 PM
ehroof

could just be a glow plug, if you let it sit just a couple of days without after run your ok, i wouldnt let it sit more than 2 days.
Old 08-23-2007, 06:45 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Check your glow plug and or replace it period to see what happens and see if it sits and idles ok if not it might just be a simple adjustment is needed to the carb. Whenever the weather changes it changes how the engine will run.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:03 PM
BackYardRacer

yea thats what i was thinking. if only i had somebody to help me out with this stuff. my bro has no clue how to work his car he just knows how to start it and drive it. My neighbors both have buggys and they've had minor problems (easily fixed) and they are trying to sell them because they think its too much work. they've even talked my bro into selling his!!! Im the youngest and im the only one who has a clue about these cars. everytime somethin happens i gotta fix it. thats why im always asking questions on here and there not. LOL but thats their problems. thanks for the help