Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: AIR FILTER OIL

i never heard of that but i wouldnt do it, not enought oil and not the correct oil. air filter oil is tacky.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

would an auto shop sell air filter oil? or do I have to get it at a rc hobby shops only? which place would sell it cheaper
    http://www.kenbuys.com - reviews of stuff I buy
    http://iphonenodata.com - disable EDGE/3G iphone

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Your hobby shop will carry air filter oil for your RC, and an auto shop will carry it for your vehicle. Either one would work.
    Hurricane XP Tornado BB

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: k3nv

a guy at one of my hobby shops told me that you can soak the filter in nitro fuel, let the methanol evaporate leaving just the oil and you don't need air filter oil? is this true?

My opinion is : Why would you want to take a risk of hurting your engine for a $5 bottle of oil that will last forever??? Maybe if you had nothing else, including vegtable oil....LOL.....then maybe try what you were told. I will not be spending the money for a new motor cause I din't want to pony up $5. BTW this is my opinion!
    .......Let\'s do it in the dirt!
    Hurricane XP, Kept running with help from: Clermont Motorsports, Savage Shock Cover

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I went to the LHS to grab a few things before my Hurricane arrived. I asked him if he had filter oil and he said to just use 3 in 1 oil! I just smiled and said ok, I'll just use the BelRay filter oil I use for my 2 stroke dirt bike.

Do some of these people want you to suck dirt so you have to come back for engine rebuild parts or a new engine?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

everyone has an opinion in the hobby and some stuff may work for them, i personally use after run oil in the engine and rc air filter oil on the air filters, for $10 or less for the both of them and about a years supply for me and i have over 50 rc's, i find it a cheap investment.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do you oil both pieces of the filter? they should include in the box when you buy a new car.lol
    P4d4, Sl4sh & Vaterra Kemora

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

yes, both pieces

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i know this threads old but...
    i saw on the hpi walkthrough on how to clean your air filter, they say use marvel mystery oil as air filter oil. is that as good as the normal air filter oil or K&N air filter oil?
    i thought people used marvel mystery for after run oil [sm=confused.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i use 30 wtg moter oil, and then i used Marvil Mistery Oil... that stuff is for airfilters for moter cycles...
    Who ever said \"It never Changes it just gets better\" Is a lire!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

There are a lot of oils that can work for the air filter but for us lazy people FLUIDZ air filter oil is the ticket
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rclynx

There are a lot of oils that can work for the air filter but for us lazy people FLUIDZ air filter oil is the ticket
    i have seen them in my LHS, i know Hpi makes a spray buy how does it work... do you just spray on and leave it... or spray it and mash it in?
    Who ever said \"It never Changes it just gets better\" Is a lire!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

spray it on, and work it into the filter element.

I have a bottle of Ipone foam air filter oil (spray), nice tall bottle, has lasted a good 2 years.

Paying for foam air filter oil at hobby shops is nuts, I spend maybe twice as much but get about 4-10 times more (at a atv/dirtbike dealership)
    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don\'\'t.
    AMA: 722748

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i went to my local auto parts store and asked if they had air filter oil and they pretty much laughed at me and said there is no such thing... there pretty stupid considering i had my bottle with me to know what kind to get and pulled it out and showed the guy who felt very stupid lol after i took it out and showed him what i was looking for he basically told me to use regular motor oil will that work?
    Maxx 2.5, Revo 3.3, Savage XL,Ofna lx1,Tornado BB,Pede xl-5,exceed infinity,redcat lightning, redcat Vortex SS,CEN FF/NX

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

In a pinch I guess, but its not sticky enough. I wouldn't take the chance.
    Cen truggy, Bigfoot 1/5th, Cen buggy, Mg16, Redcat Earthquake, Redcat Drifter

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

i went to my local auto parts store and asked if they had air filter oil and they pretty much laughed at me and said there is no such thing... there pretty stupid considering i had my bottle with me to know what kind to get and pulled it out and showed the guy who felt very stupid lol after i took it out and showed him what i was looking for he basically told me to use regular motor oil will that work?
    Oh god! If I needed auto parts, I think I would stay away from that place!
    Go to PepBoys, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Oreily's(sp?). They have K&N air filter oil.
    AllAboutFunHobbies / Himoto Racing USA / Redcat Racing / MXT-2S / MTR-2S / XMod / and a few Tremors

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nubzorz

You would have better luck at a Motorcycle shop looking for filter oil................Not to many people in the Automotive business have a clue about filter oil unless there old farts like me and remember when oil was all we used for a filter before the filters they use now days[:-]
    Custom Cars bring out the stars / Home of the RCLYNX, RC IMPROVEMENT, MOD, SALES & SERVICE Dealer;XTM, CEN, HPI & much more

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

Oh god! If I needed auto parts, I think I would stay away from that place!
    Go to PepBoys, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Oreily's(sp?). They have K&N air filter oil.

Do not use K&N filter oil, that is for a completely different filter material (cotton). You NEED a oil for foam air filters. Belray, Ipone, JP1, all good examples.
    There are only 10 types of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those that don\'\'t.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to have a k n air filter on my 81 jimmy I used it for off roading and it was a foam filter not much different from what we use it was not cotton. I use kn oil with out one single problem.
    OFFICIAL HIMOTO RACING SUPPORT - THE REVOLUTION HAS BEGUN
    http://himotoracing.com :: http://himotoracingusa.com

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

PJ-1 air filter oil. Its for dirtbikes. You can get it at any moto-sport dealer. A big can is about $9.00 and will last a long time. I use it on my RC and 3 dirt bikes and I get about a year out of the can....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to have a k n air filter on my 81 jimmy I used it for off roading and it was a foam filter not much different from what we use it was not cotton. I use kn oil with out one single problem.
    WOW are really sure that works [sm=confused.gif]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used k n airfilter for 3 years of running trails through mud dust what ever and never had an issue once and I drove it hard.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

do NOT use K&N filter oil on a FOAM AIR FILTER. K&N filter oil is for fabric filters only. K&N filter oil on a foam air filter does not block dirt like FOAM AIR FILTER oil does, thus it will ruin your engine.

Any atv/dirtbike dealership will tell you the same when you buy a foam air filter, you use foam air filter oil and not K&N filter oil since its not a cotton element.

Maintaining a Foam Air Filter (from a manual included at our local dealership that comes with the filter)

A) Gently knock all the crud off the filter before you apply an air filter cleaning agent. Most motorcycle chemical manufacturers have a suitable product for cleaning air filters.

B) Apply the appropriate cleaner and let it work for a few minutes as you knead the filter with your hands, don't "wring" the filter just massage the cleaner in thoroughly. Rinse the filter from the inside out with hot water.

C) Wash the foam filter three more times in a solution of dish soap and hot water, this will remove the remainder of dirt as well as clean off the oily residue left by the first cleaning solution.

D) Dry your foam filter by first squeezing the excess water out and then let dry. Never wring or stretch your foam filter as it could tear at the seams. Let the filter air dry in the sun for an hour or two.

E) Apply fresh foam filter oil to the inside and outside elements as well as the sealing flange or lip, do not use K&N or fabric filter oil on foam filters this will result in dirt inside the engine. Squeeze out any excess oil as necessary. Apply a liberal amount of wheel bearing grease to the sealing flange before you install the filter. If your foam filter doesn't have a rubber grommet around the eyelet where the hold down bolt passes through, then apply some grease there as well.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Use what ever kemo says he`s always right......
    Cause this makes no sence

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

there is a problem with the PCV system. this system circulates crankcase air and oil particles in the air back into crankcase by pushing them back somewhere back through the intake. there is probably a problem with the PCV valve stuck open allowing too much oil to pass through it subsequently collecting on your air filter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast