Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

AIR FILTER OIL

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AIR FILTER OIL

i never heard of that but i wouldnt do it, not enought oil and not the correct oil. air filter oil is tacky.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:32 PM
k3nv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would an auto shop sell air filter oil? or do I have to get it at a rc hobby shops only? which place would sell it cheaper
Old 12-03-2007, 06:12 PM
wolverine330

Your hobby shop will carry air filter oil for your RC, and an auto shop will carry it for your vehicle. Either one would work.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:55 AM
bash_N_corn

ORIGINAL: k3nv

a guy at one of my hobby shops told me that you can soak the filter in nitro fuel, let the methanol evaporate leaving just the oil and you don't need air filter oil? is this true?

My opinion is : Why would you want to take a risk of hurting your engine for a $5 bottle of oil that will last forever??? Maybe if you had nothing else, including vegtable oil....LOL.....then maybe try what you were told. I will not be spending the money for a new motor cause I din't want to pony up $5. BTW this is my opinion!
Old 01-06-2008, 01:41 PM
TThib

I went to the LHS to grab a few things before my Hurricane arrived. I asked him if he had filter oil and he said to just use 3 in 1 oil! I just smiled and said ok, I'll just use the BelRay filter oil I use for my 2 stroke dirt bike.

Do some of these people want you to suck dirt so you have to come back for engine rebuild parts or a new engine?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:07 PM
ehroof

everyone has an opinion in the hobby and some stuff may work for them, i personally use after run oil in the engine and rc air filter oil on the air filters, for $10 or less for the both of them and about a years supply for me and i have over 50 rc's, i find it a cheap investment.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:10 PM
5lagd

do you oil both pieces of the filter? they should include in the box when you buy a new car.lol
Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM
ehroof

yes, both pieces
Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
SpiKeZxb

i know this threads old but...
i saw on the hpi walkthrough on how to clean your air filter, they say use marvel mystery oil as air filter oil. is that as good as the normal air filter oil or K&N air filter oil?
i thought people used marvel mystery for after run oil [sm=confused.gif]
Old 04-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Cam_132

i use 30 wtg moter oil, and then i used Marvil Mistery Oil... that stuff is for airfilters for moter cycles...
Old 04-24-2008, 11:49 AM
rclynx

There are a lot of oils that can work for the air filter but for us lazy people [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=196]FLUIDZ air filter oil[/link] is the ticket
Old 04-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Cam_132

ORIGINAL: rclynx

There are a lot of oils that can work for the air filter but for us lazy people [link=http://xtm-dealer.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=196]FLUIDZ air filter oil[/link] is the ticket
i have seen them in my LHS, i know Hpi makes a spray buy how does it work... do you just spray on and leave it... or spray it and mash it in?
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
Kemo

spray it on, and work it into the filter element.

I have a bottle of Ipone foam air filter oil (spray), nice tall bottle, has lasted a good 2 years.

Paying for foam air filter oil at hobby shops is nuts, I spend maybe twice as much but get about 4-10 times more (at a atv/dirtbike dealership)
Old 05-10-2008, 12:32 PM
nubzorz

i went to my local auto parts store and asked if they had air filter oil and they pretty much laughed at me and said there is no such thing... there pretty stupid considering i had my bottle with me to know what kind to get and pulled it out and showed the guy who felt very stupid lol after i took it out and showed him what i was looking for he basically told me to use regular motor oil will that work?
Old 05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

In a pinch I guess, but its not sticky enough. I wouldn't take the chance.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM
jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

i went to my local auto parts store and asked if they had air filter oil and they pretty much laughed at me and said there is no such thing... there pretty stupid considering i had my bottle with me to know what kind to get and pulled it out and showed the guy who felt very stupid lol after i took it out and showed him what i was looking for he basically told me to use regular motor oil will that work?
Oh god! If I needed auto parts, I think I would stay away from that place!
Go to PepBoys, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Oreily's(sp?). They have K&N air filter oil.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:46 PM
rclynx

nubzorz

You would have better luck at a Motorcycle shop looking for filter oil................Not to many people in the Automotive business have a clue about filter oil unless there old farts like me and remember when oil was all we used for a filter before the filters they use now days[:-]
Old 05-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: jpilkinton

ORIGINAL: nubzorz

Oh god! If I needed auto parts, I think I would stay away from that place!
Go to PepBoys, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, Oreily's(sp?). They have K&N air filter oil.

Do not use K&N filter oil, that is for a completely different filter material (cotton). You NEED a oil for foam air filters. Belray, Ipone, JP1, all good examples.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Swamp3r

I used to have a k n air filter on my 81 jimmy I used it for off roading and it was a foam filter not much different from what we use it was not cotton. I use kn oil with out one single problem.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:53 PM
Lawdawg203

PJ-1 air filter oil. Its for dirtbikes. You can get it at any moto-sport dealer. A big can is about $9.00 and will last a long time. I use it on my RC and 3 dirt bikes and I get about a year out of the can....
Old 05-12-2008, 01:21 PM
rclynx

I used to have a k n air filter on my 81 jimmy I used it for off roading and it was a foam filter not much different from what we use it was not cotton. I use kn oil with out one single problem.
WOW are really sure that works [sm=confused.gif]
Old 05-12-2008, 02:46 PM
Swamp3r

I used k n airfilter for 3 years of running trails through mud dust what ever and never had an issue once and I drove it hard.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:15 PM
Kemo

do NOT use K&N filter oil on a FOAM AIR FILTER. K&N filter oil is for fabric filters only. K&N filter oil on a foam air filter does not block dirt like FOAM AIR FILTER oil does, thus it will ruin your engine.

Any atv/dirtbike dealership will tell you the same when you buy a foam air filter, you use foam air filter oil and not K&N filter oil since its not a cotton element.

Maintaining a Foam Air Filter (from a manual included at our local dealership that comes with the filter)

A) Gently knock all the crud off the filter before you apply an air filter cleaning agent. Most motorcycle chemical manufacturers have a suitable product for cleaning air filters.

B) Apply the appropriate cleaner and let it work for a few minutes as you knead the filter with your hands, don't "wring" the filter just massage the cleaner in thoroughly. Rinse the filter from the inside out with hot water.

C) Wash the foam filter three more times in a solution of dish soap and hot water, this will remove the remainder of dirt as well as clean off the oily residue left by the first cleaning solution.

D) Dry your foam filter by first squeezing the excess water out and then let dry. Never wring or stretch your foam filter as it could tear at the seams. Let the filter air dry in the sun for an hour or two.

E) Apply fresh foam filter oil to the inside and outside elements as well as the sealing flange or lip, do not use K&N or fabric filter oil on foam filters this will result in dirt inside the engine. Squeeze out any excess oil as necessary. Apply a liberal amount of wheel bearing grease to the sealing flange before you install the filter. If your foam filter doesn't have a rubber grommet around the eyelet where the hold down bolt passes through, then apply some grease there as well.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Swamp3r

Use what ever kemo says he`s always right......
[link=http://www.knpowersports.com/]Cause this makes no sence[/link]
Old 07-12-2010, 08:38 PM
krislou80

there is a problem with the PCV system. this system circulates crankcase air and oil particles in the air back into crankcase by pushing them back somewhere back through the intake. there is probably a problem with the PCV valve stuck open allowing too much oil to pass through it subsequently collecting on your air filter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.