Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 08:03 PM
jim.marcus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

I might go $75. I need one for parts.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:44 AM
damaged123

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i got my volcano (well himoto eldorada, no diff) for around 75 with 15 for shipping and it was pretty much unscratched, totally clean, everything in perfect condition, but the clutch shoes were worn to HELL i cant believe it can get that worn it was so warped(this guy must have never crashed/flipped the thing cuz engine seems to had a lotta tanks gone through it yet no plastic part was even scratched), but anyways, a used volcano unless perfect prob wouldnt even fetch you 100 bucks no one wants to buy these used unless you got lots of alum hop ups.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a volcano sv pro. since it was new I have had many problems with it breaking and then problems finding parts. right now the slipper clutch has come apart, I guess this is a common problem with them. I want to upgrade to another brand slipper rather then the redcat. will the parts listed above in this thread for the stx also fit the sv pro?. just want to make sure before I buy anyting.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:15 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

check this out, its a much better set up for the single speed volcano's. better top end and better low end, and no slipper clutch, its like the hpi nitro mt.

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...iff-kit/Detail
Old 03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks ehroof. that sounds good, I'm going to give it a try. you really seem to know your stuff. every have anyprobelms with the front axle shafts falling out over and over?. I have the steering arms adjusted as far in as I can and still turn. but they still come out.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:15 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks bro, i never had that problem, can you remove them by hand if you try, maybe the wrong ones were installed
Old 03-11-2007, 01:32 PM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

they are real close to coming out by hand , I'm sure they would if I turned the wheels just right and jounced the suspension at the same time. they are the only ones list for this model. I am hoping that this last time it was just beacuse the wheel was overtightened, puling the cup through so tight that the wheel was hard to turn. but this is the second time I have lost one. so... I have seen other people on the web that have had the same problem. it seems to be only with the sv pro.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM
retiredcutter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will this setup work on my Volcano SV? I have already replaced the spring and clutch bell....and have had no problems in several tanks of fuel. Many thanks for the good info!
Old 03-11-2007, 07:49 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

it will work, it will give you better low and top end, its more of a direct drive transmission, threre's no small gears in the transmission. it comes with a complete transmission including the brakes and a steel clutch bell. Thanks for the compliment and your welcome.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:18 AM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do you have this set up in your volcano ehroof?. I ordered one, pretty excited to see how it works.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:36 AM
MiniCwik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Anyone else get their's and get it installed? I'm really thinking about ordering one.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:17 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i have one, and it works great, good torque on low end and nice top end, sounds better too, not as many gears in the transmission.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:45 PM
retiredcutter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have another question. Nowhere in my manual on my volcano SV does it show what type of cap screws are used to fasten the exhaust manifold to the engine. I was running mine today and the exhaust manifold fell off the engine...not too cool. Any help will, once again, be appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-18-2007, 08:27 AM
rclynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You could get them easy at your LHS because most all side mount exhaust systems are the same. Or change that bugger to a header and new screws come with it [:-] LOL
Old 03-18-2007, 08:31 AM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I had that same problem with mine, but I was able to find the old ones in the grass. the best thing to do is take the thimg apart and put some thread lock sealer on all the fastners that screw into metal.
the live helper the the red cat web site is pretty good at giving you the numbers for the screws you need.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my direct drive system today. the instructions are a little fuzzy. it sayd to install the clutch drum with 1 2 bearings 1 washer and the lock washer. well the old clutch has 3 diffrent type washers. 1 lock 1 with flat with the center hole the size of the screw and then, 3 flats with a larger center hole. I tried a few diffrent combos. cant seem to getit right. also I assume that I need to remove the old slipper clutch and the e-clip on top of them?. and just leave the pins there?. any ideas?
Old 03-19-2007, 06:33 PM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

sorry guys. I thought that the parts listed above in this thread eliminated the need for a clutch... I know duh!.. I thought the "slipper clutch" was the main clutch on the engine. now I am back to square one, the clutch spring broke, is there another clutch set up I can put in that is more duralbe then the redcat one?. like traxxas another brand?.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the traxxis 4146x and the mip springs
Did you figure out the clutch setup with the washers? I gave instructions.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:21 PM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah I got all that working. just need to get the spring. I am new to all this stuff. had some confusion about the clutch. I put one of the flat large diameter washers on then the bearing, hub and bearing. then a smaller flat washer and the lock washer. it seems good. not allot of end play and it spins freely.
thank you
Old 03-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Chubbysdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sure... make sure it spins freely. If it doesn't, loosen it a b it and put some blue locktite on the screw.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:12 AM
MiniCwik

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've been through the washer scenario before and keep washers on hand now

The 13T I got with my new CMS direct drive setup required less washers than my HPI 17T racing clutch bell.

Anyway, I replaced the stock aluminum clutch shoes and spring scenario with an HPI Teflon Clutch Shoe Set - http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...86&FVPROFIL=++

It completely eliminates the use of a spring and I have absolutely loved it since the day I put it on!!! I went through 4 clutch springs before this, like once a week or so, and with these I've run it more than ever and haven't had a single problem since!!! The teflon shoes are barely wearing and wearing super evenly, although I will say the teflon is a bit more messy as it breaks in (little black dust spots on the chassis) but subsides once they are broken in.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:16 PM
retiredcutter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Redcat took way too long to reply about the manifold screws, so I went to Hobbytown and they sold me some 3mmx30mm cap screws. I installed them tonight WITH threadlock and hope to run my Volcano SV tomorrow. Has anyone else had a difficult time with Redcat customer service or is it just me? I had the online help, hold me up about 20 mins and then went offline. When I emailed customer service, I had to pass an anti-spam test....Wow, never had that happen in all the online transactions I've made over the years.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:19 PM
ehroof

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

dont use the red thread locker, use the blue stuff, the red is permanent. Sorry to hear about your problems bro.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:43 PM
jonnzzo

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the one time I used the live support it was quick and easy. they helped me find the steering arms I needed that were under a diffrent part number and listed for the tornado unstead of the volcano. then I needed the part number for the engine mount to chassis screws(not listed in the book), when I ordered them they turned out to be the wrong ones. I ended up getting some cap srews from the local hardware store.
so I guess it's not perfect system lol
Old 03-21-2007, 08:51 PM
retiredcutter

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I told you wrong, I did use the blue stuff for locking the threads. Many thanks again, ya'll.

Search this Thread