Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:09 PM
race_addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Yeah ill have to check out those 90mm dogbones. Nah i dont have anyone to run with [:@], but i recently purchased some property and plan on making a little track or something. I hope to lure othes into this great sport. Lots of people watch me in the neighborhood, i honestly dont think many people have seen such rcs around here. There may be lots but i dont know them. lol Some of my buddies are talking about getting some to run wit me. When i get settled in to my 6 acres. and have a track built it will be much better.. Privacy and in the deep woods. No neighbors, we can play all nite long. Yeah i plan on making some vids for you guys soon as this weather straightens up. Raining for like 2 days now and supposed to for 3 more. But that justs give me time to improve on my rc's. Even though i dont own a crawler i thinking having a scale winch would be cool. Am working on one for volcano, not like ill use it but looks cool. And may have to pull some haters rc sometime lol. I do have one friend who is building a rc truck for truck pulls, that may be neat.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: bkfamily1

Could I get some input regarding servos for the Volcano, please?

Most of the Futaba radio packages come with S3003 (standard) and/or S3010 (high torque) servos. You can get the radio with 2 of one, 2 of the other or 1 of each. Which is most appropriate for the Volcano? And if it is one of each as I suspect, which needs the high torque, steering or throttle?

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH288&P=ML]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXH288&P=ML[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB3&P=ML]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDTB3&P=ML[/link]

Any input would be much appreciated. And thanks to all for sharing your experience. I have learned a ton.
You can never go wrong with a Higher torque servo (especially for Steering), but the Futaba 3003 is a nice improvement over the Stock Redcat servo. Its what I have in MY Volcano SV and it works fine.....

I would go with the 2 servo package and replace Both of the Stockies....
Old 03-31-2008, 06:53 PM
perhamrocks

My volcano just locked up, The car wont go forward the flywheel is spinning, and it looks like the cluthch is trying to engage but it wont. If i try to roll the car on the ground it wont move because the wheels are locked up, but i can spin one wheel at a time and the opposite wheel will go the other direction like usual because of the diffs. PLEASE HELP This was all caused from landing on the rear wheels from a small jump
Old 03-31-2008, 06:58 PM
racemaxx24

Did u hit the trim for the throttle servo? That could cause your brakes to lock the wheels
Old 03-31-2008, 07:08 PM
perhamrocks

no, and i just unatached the break linkage, and it's still, locked up, and the brake is set to off
Old 03-31-2008, 07:11 PM
racemaxx24

So the differentils are fine right. Are there any gears stripped in the gearbox?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:14 PM
perhamrocks

yes, the diffs are fine, and there are no stripped gears, i just installed my new direct drive, got it meshed good, took it out for a little drive, and now i'm here.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:16 PM
racemaxx24

Wel IDK. U will have to wait for ehroof to reply. Sorry
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
mtkgmc

hi everyone im new to redcats and nitros.
i have gotten a question i have a stock volcano sv and was wondering why my rear differential would blow up. i have already ordered a complete one to replace it i was just wondering why it would die so quickly. The four little spider gears inside of it were taken out in about 10 pieces. Also what i could do not to blow up the next one??

Thanks
Old 03-31-2008, 09:11 PM
perhamrocks

make sure they are all meshed, which they should have been, and make sure there is grease in their, whch there should be when you buy it.
i used all purpose lithium grease, but that helps to stop the diffs from working and gives me more power off the line. you may want some thinner grease, or even diff oil, but i thought eroof said to stick to grease on the volcano.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:17 PM
mtkgmc

hey thanks yeah i know all that from the real size. i was kind of more curious on why it failed. to much beating maybe i dont know front wheel drive is kind of cool for burnouts haa
Old 03-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: perhamrocks

My volcano just locked up, The car wont go forward the flywheel is spinning, and it looks like the cluthch is trying to engage but it wont. If i try to roll the car on the ground it wont move because the wheels are locked up, but i can spin one wheel at a time and the opposite wheel will go the other direction like usual because of the diffs. PLEASE HELP This was all caused from landing on the rear wheels from a small jump
Sounds like your Transmission is Seized for some reason.
Put the truck on a block of wood (so that the tires are not touching the ground) and Manually turn the Spur gear.
All four tires should spin(if you can turn the gear fast enough).
If the spur gear wont move, or is VERY hard to move, then there is probably something STICKING in your tranny assembly.
Maybe a bad bearing, stripped gear, broken gear tooth, or just a rock Jamming the geartrain.

You Might remove the Engine and tear down the Clutch assembly to inspect it too.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 AM
aaeandcee

Hi-

I'm looking to replace my bronze bushings in the Front/Rear Hub Carrier. I saw the bronze replacement parts, but wanted to double check if these were the same things..only ball bearings instead of bronze.

Part Number: 02139
Part Number: 02138

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:16 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

aaeandcee,

Yes, those are the ball bearing replacements for the brass bushings. The numbers are the size in millimeters. The inner (closer to the diff) bearings are 10x15x4 (10mm inner diameter, 15mm outer diameter, 4mm thick). The outers (closer to the tires) are 5x10x4. The ball bearings are a nice improvement over the bushings. However, you may want to take a look at some other ball bearing options. It is not clear from the pics of the 02139 (outers) on Redcat's site, but it is clear for the 02138 (inners) that those bearings are shielded, not sealed. That means that the guts of the bearings (the balls themselves) are isolated from dirt and such with a metal "washer" on the sides of the bearings between the inner and outer races. While that provides a decent amount of protection, dirt and moisture can still get in. A sealed bearing has a rubber seal instead of the metal shield, and they will typically last longer in dirty and wet applications.

Clermont carries Boca bearings which are pretty well known. The B 10x15x4 and B 5x10x4 are black sealed. If you want to stay with shielded, he also has economy bearings which are shielded and similar to Redcat's . They are E 10x15x4 and E 5x10x4.

[link=http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/the-Boca-Bearings/searchpath/85193/start/1/total/60/Categories]http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/the-Boca-Bearings/searchpath/85193/start/1/total/60/Categories[/link]

I also found Team FastEddie who has them for less, but I am not sure what brand. I got mine from Eddie, and I got them right away. They are running well, but they have not been in for long.

[link=http://www.teamfasteddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=203_216]http://www.teamfasteddy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=203_216[/link]

Good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:30 PM
aaeandcee

bkfamily1,

Thank you! That is an awesome response! It is just a buggy my 3 year old and I play with (I have the Nitro toy for myself), but I still want it to perform well.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:10 AM
race_addict

Hey guys i have a quick question do any of you know what the part number or where i can get a pullstart for the vx.18? I have ordered one before from all about fun hobbies but i couldnt find it on there today or clermont hobbies either. I have bad luck with these pull starts lol on my third... and i dont really pull em hard. It would be nice it they had rotostart for these engines. I got all my stuff i needed to run from hobby shop, its the first nice day in like a week and first pull it breaks. That can ruin some fun. Ive already fixed the pullstart like 10 times and its not liking it at all now.
Old 04-06-2008, 10:12 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

raceaddict,

The following link will take you to search results from the Redcat site. I searched for "start" in the volcano parts. You will see 3 different pull starts depending on your specific engine. Also, you will see the backplates for electric starting and a wand for using a drill to start the engine. All of them are in stock at Redcat, although do not expect lightning speed on your order.

[link=http://www.redcatracing.com/parts_searchresult.asp?basepartno=VOLCANO+SV&q=start]http://www.redcatracing.com/parts_searchresult.asp?basepartno=VOLCANO+SV&q=start[/link]

You can also email Dennis at Clermont. Even though ti does not show in his on line catalog, he often has things that do not. The following has his email and phone number.

[link=http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/Service]http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/Service[/link]

I would also try himotoracingusa.com. It is recently started by Ed/ehroof, and the Himoto parts are interchangeable with Redcats. The following has his email and phone.

[link=http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/himotoracingusacom/the-template/about/Page]http://store02.prostores.com/servlet/himotoracingusacom/the-template/about/Page[/link]

You could also pm Ed or Dennis if you see them online in the forum.

Finally, I am curious how they keep breaking. Although an electric would eliminate that issue, the pullstart is nice since it is always ready - no charging, no drill to lug around, etc. What is breaking? The string?

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:44 PM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: race_addict

Hey guys i have a quick question do any of you know what the part number or where i can get a pullstart for the vx.18? I have ordered one before from all about fun hobbies but i couldnt find it on there today or clermont hobbies either. I have bad luck with these pull starts lol on my third... and i dont really pull em hard. It would be nice it they had rotostart for these engines. I got all my stuff i needed to run from hobby shop, its the first nice day in like a week and first pull it breaks. That can ruin some fun. Ive already fixed the pullstart like 10 times and its not liking it at all now.
get this if you have a cordless drill http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...artno=11011H12
or this if you dont http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...?partno=70111t
if you have a cordless drill this is cheaper, and more reliable
Old 04-06-2008, 01:21 PM
numskull223

What would you use to stick in the drill to crank it? I hate a pull start.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Redharris

ORIGINAL: race_addict

If you decide to go with a roto start(or buy another pullstart), be aware that Redcat shipped the VX.18 with TWO different sized back plates that had DIFFERENT screw patterns.
There is the LARGE one with a 1 1/2 inch pattern and a SMALL one with a 1 inch pattern. I have 2 Volcanos, and they have different backplates and pullstarts.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98228.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	923358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59443.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	923359  
Old 04-06-2008, 07:06 PM
perhamrocks

ORIGINAL: numskull223

What would you use to stick in the drill to crank it? I hate a pull start.
i'm sure you'll find something that will fit, and if not just jam this into ur drill http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...p?partno=11003
Old 04-07-2008, 03:30 PM
lucasaf

Hi guys, i'm back...i receive my volcano parts today and i having a big problem to mount the front arm.
Some one can post pictures of the front complete?
With details?
Please.

tks
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
aaeandcee

Can someone recommend a replacement driveshaft. I''ve got the electric motor and the driveshaft keeps breaking. The one that keeping breaking is the hollow tube aluminum one, I''m looking for a solid one. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2008, 08:37 PM
V-dog

Hey guyz havent talked in a while Today i was runnin my volcano ( well trying to ) and the wheels are spinning without pressing the throttle/brake. We adjusted the high speed and low speed needle but it still keeps going. Plus i adjusted my throttle (idle) needle both ways nothin. Maybe if someone could show me a picture of the throttle control thing on your controller in the right position i could work from that. Cuz Idk what to do im about to pour gasoline all over it and throw a match.

Should i jus find a local hobby shop that does tune ups? if so how much does that range from?
Old 04-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Swamp3r

Just a thought but have you checked to see if the carb is seized, you could try and move it manually to see if your getting the 1mm gap inside. Maybe the servo horn slipped. Thats about all I can think of if you adjusted the idle.
Edit btw have you been using after run oil. I don`t know how long your truck sat is the reason I ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.