Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:49 PM
grosbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

yeah, have the idle set to just before the clutch engages. I'll try the A3 plugs.
Old 11-06-2008, 05:13 PM
chevyderek72

ya i was reading somewhere just now and it was saying that thats what happens with too cold of a plug, when you pull the ignitor off the plug the rpms will drop
Old 11-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Indarican

grosbc, My vx.18 runs great with #3 hot plugs.That may be the priblem.Also i cannot run my lsn flush with collar,to or more turns to the lean side and she runs like a champ. If its not the plugs try that. I was told by EROOF that the engine might need different tuning then what the norm is.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:17 PM
grosbc

Thanks for the help. I had ordered a CEN #3 plug a week ago and it came in today. Idled great. Big difference from the colder plug. I'll order a couple OS #3's as replacements.
Old 11-09-2008, 03:47 PM
grosbc

Here's another question. Had to change my gears b/c the spur stripped. When I try to get the correct mesh by moving the engine, the engine flywheel is hitting the metal shoe for the brakes?? I can get it to work by moving the engine back out some, but then the clutch isn't meshed as tightly as I'd want. This is the regular gearbox and the Vertex engine. Any idea why it would be hitting?
Old 11-09-2008, 06:36 PM
Indarican

I had the same problem with my truck when i switched my brakes from the stock ones. I actually grinded down my flywheel that night cause i didnt notice it right away.What i had to do was tighten my break shoes down a lttle more and loosen the black break adjuster on the brake lever. It took a little finesse but i got it to work perfectly.Those vented disc(metal) replacements work a whole lot better then the plastic?(teflon?) brakes i had on the truck when i purchased it. I have the infinity(exceed) which I have replaced most of the parts with redcat and himoto parts.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:19 PM
grosbc

That's whats weird. I didn't change the brakes - just replaced the gears. My engine was all the way to the outside from the factory and it seemed to mesh good. I even counted the gear teeth to make sure it had the right number. Now I change gears and have to slide the engine more than halfway over to get it to mesh good. I need to look at everything close to see if something may have gotten bent. I might also be able to adjust the brakes some to help it mesh.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:35 PM
grosbc

Just figured it out. I hit a curb pretty hard right before the gears stripped. Put a straightedge on the frame and it's bent. I was able to straighten it out though, so it should work for a while. What happened was since the frame was bent the engine was pointed downward in relation to the gearbox. That's why I had to move it in so much to get it to mesh.
Old 11-09-2008, 11:11 PM
ssrc30

Ya I had a similar issue with my tornado s-30. Turns out the rear shock tower was bent.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:51 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

Hey guys, I have a volcano question. I have a friend who has the volcano epx. He has added the best Novac brushless motor and ESC to his volcano. Now he says he's gonna sell it and get out of the hobby cause he can't do anything else to it as far as performance wise. Do yall have any suggestions I can tell him to change his mind? We both have redcats. I have the tsunami uw nitro and we got into this hobby together. We have other friends in the hobby but he's the only one I bash with on a regular basis. I just want to come up with some things that he can do to his truck to keep him in the hobby. Granted he's got close ( if not already past ) $1000 invested in his truck. I know he'll never get out of it what he's got in it if he sells it, but that won't be enough to change his mind. Any suggetions would be greatly appreciated......
Old 11-18-2008, 06:20 PM
cuzzman52

i was wondering what brands and what size motors would fit in my redcat volcano sv. i am kinda new into this so help is much appreciated.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:45 PM
el_tonto

ORIGINAL: Brett185
I have a friend who has the volcano epx. He has added the best Novac brushless motor and ESC to his volcano..
Is he very inventive? He could sell the brushless system and then convert the Volcano into a crawler. I reckon it wouldn't be too much work to flip the diffs + casing upside down and mount them under the chassis to give heaps of ground clearance. Then cut holes along the chassis so the shafts from the transmission go down through the chassis. You'll need longer driveshafts than stock though. This is pretty much the arrangement of all 1/8th "trucks" - the Volcano really is closer to a truggy than a truck in that respect. In fact he could keep the brushless too.

A friend crashed his Volcano and I offered to buy it off him and this is the mod I would have attempted - but then he gave it to someone else
Old 11-19-2008, 10:53 AM
grosbc

With the direct drive setup, has anyone tried a 12 tooth clutch bell or found a bigger spur gear than 44 t that will work? I'm wondering if there's a way to get more low end out of the direct drive setup?

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2008, 03:22 PM
el_tonto

The direct drive setup - is that basically the single-speed out of the Tornado etc? The Tornado 2-speed is 42/47 so yes at least a 47 tooth fits, and I've custom-fitted a 49T spur from the Savage-X to my Tornado without modifying the housing or the chassis. From memory (I did the mod a long time ago) a 52T doesn't quite fit, but would require only minor "machining" of both the transmission housing and the chassis.
Old 11-19-2008, 07:55 PM
grosbc

How would I make the 47 tooth gear work in a single speed transmission? Would it be a direct replacement for the gear that's in there now or would I need to put some additional parts in? in other words, how does the 47t connect to the shaft?
Old 11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
el_tonto

The Redcat 2-speed 47T has a one-way bearing in it, so no it's not a direct replacement for the 1-speed spur. It could work with the bearing, but I've killed two of those bearings which is why I converted to a 1-speed.

I fitted a Savage-X 49T but it was a fairly involved process and it used the MT2 transmission shaft which is longer than the redcat one, so requiring a different front dogbone. And I have no idea whose dogbone I ended up finding was the right length.

I think using the 1-speed shaft would have been easier, coupled with this [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKM1&P=M]Savage 49T spur[/link] (or 47T) and the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDZW3&P=7]matching slipper plate[/link]. Both of these slide over a 5mm shaft, but since you'll have no way of applying pressure between them (without being really inventive) you'll need to drill through the spur into the plate, and pop a couple of screws in there to make it a fixed arrangement.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:52 PM
chevyderek72

redcat nick said that this 11t bell fits http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNZ41&P=7
and also the 12t http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNZ42&P=7
and im pretty sure this for the bearing http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM766&P=M

and you probably will need to shim up the engine, put some washers between the engine and motor mounts to move the engine up so it can mesh still.

or you could try a bigger spur, i can remember what brand or anything but im pretty sure allaboutfun knows how to do it, or someone on here. if nobody answers make a new thread and ask. i was gonna do it but i ended up not and forgot which one it was. but i guess the spur just need a little grinding and it works great. and they have better selections of spurs
Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 PM
grosbc

Looks like I could make that work. One question is that looking at some of the Savage parts it looks like the shaft may be 6 mm and not 5 mm? Do you know for sure they're the same?

I changed from the multi gear setup to the single gear. With the multi gear I topped out around 30 - 31 mph. With the direct drive setup I got 37 mph and may have gotten a little more if I had more room to stretch it out. I think the 49 tooth gear would work great though b/c I rarely have room to get up to top speed and could use a tad more low end.

thanks for the help.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:08 AM
el_tonto

Yeah the savage outdrives and diffs and stuff are all 6mm, yet the transmission is definitely 5mm.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:49 AM
grosbc

ordered the parts and will give it a try. Will let you know how it works out. I got both a 49 and 52 tooth gear to see which fits.
Old 11-20-2008, 03:06 PM
el_tonto

Oops I probably should have suggested the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVJ87&P=M]aluminum plate[/link] that goes on the slipper hub, but if you're bolting them together then you won't need it. A 5x11 bushing would also help align the spur, but again if you're bolting them together that's probably unnecessary. If it is, then any LHS should have them as it's a pretty common size (Tamiya use it a lot i.e. the TT-01 has 12 of them, and Traxxas use 5x11 bearings which would work perfectly ok too)

Take photos as you build it up as it's a mod that's probably useful to a lot of people so it's probably worth documenting.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:37 PM
grosbc

Yeah, I'm just going to bolt them together. Looks like I can put the hub on one side of the metal pin and the gear on the other. Bolt them together and it should work great. Wish I would have thought about the bushing though as that would have made it easier to get it straight. Might pick one up from the hobby shop.

I was able to stretch it out today and got 37.8 mph, but the engine is definitely not topping out on rpms now b/c the engine just doesn't have the power to pull any more. I think going up on the spur size will give more low end and not really lose any top end. It should just let the engine operate closer to it's max rpms. We'll see. I'll take pics and let you know how it works.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 PM
el_tonto

Does the volcano have brass bushings in the hubs, or bearings?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 AM
grosbc

I believe it's bearings.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:19 PM
grosbc

Darn, the hub has a larger shaft size than the volcano uses - probably a 6mm. Since the hub won't work, I was able to rig it temporarily to try it out. What I did was take an old gear from the volcano and epoxy it to the HPI 49 tooth spur. I had to shave the outer edge off the old volcano gear and the thin ridge for the gaskets off the HPI gear. It didn't align perfect though since I didn't have the 11x5x4 bushing for the inside hub of the spur. I tried it some tonight and it works and has good power. I'll get it opened up tomorrow and get a better feel for the speed and acceleration.

If I like the way it runs, I'll get the 11x5x4 bushing and another 49T spur and do it right this time, so it doesn't wobble as much.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.