Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Reply
Old 01-21-2012, 04:37 PM
  #1626
terrywolfpack
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kiowa, KS
Posts: 58
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Clinton i have beat the heck out of my redcat volcano and it has held up really good??? it's right up there with my tmaxx almost like the volcano better than tmaxx...lol
terrywolfpack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 06:05 PM
  #1627
ClintonBrookwell
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: , WY
Posts: 10
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

I guess i just have bad luck or something!
ClintonBrookwell is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
  #1628
onenut78
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oneida, NY
Posts: 30
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Got a question. how do i change out those big bulky aluminum 12mm wheel hex's on my volcano s30. i have a sweet set of wheels and tires i want to put on it but they are 14mm hex, they came with the hex's and axle pins. the volcano s30 doesn't use axle pins, uses those big 12mm hex's with the set screws. any way to change my axles to axles that use axle pins. any other company make axles that will fit my volcano s30, and fit the dogbones? thanks
onenut78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:25 PM
  #1629
pede_187
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bridgewater, NJ
Posts: 3,961
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

You would most likely need to get a set of stub axles that would match the Volcano SV/S30s along with a set of new wheel hexes and the proper size pin to go through the axle. Perhaps try something from HPI. I know I was able to use HPI stub axles on my Electric Volcano a few years back however I don't recall the part number.
pede_187 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
  #1630
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: onenut78

Got a question. how do i change out those big bulky aluminum 12mm wheel hex's on my volcano s30. i have a sweet set of wheels and tires i want to put on it but they are 14mm hex, they came with the hex's and axle pins. the volcano s30 doesn't use axle pins, uses those big 12mm hex's with the set screws. any way to change my axles to axles that use axle pins. any other company make axles that will fit my volcano s30, and fit the dogbones? thanks
Tornado S30 axle stubs will fit and give you the ability to use axle pins. 14mm Hex's will fit even though the axles were designed for 12mm. The 14mm hex will fit over the pin and be secure but the 14mm hex will have a larger diameter hole for the axle. This is not the correct way but I've done it and it's not been a problem. I'm sure you can find the right size axle that will have the right diameter axle if you research enough but the Tornado axles are really cheap and will work just fine. Acutually I just put Losi hex's which are like a oddball size between 12mm and 14mm on my sons Caldera 10E and even though the Caldera axle is smaller than the hole in the hex, when you tighten the wheel against it which keeps the hex against the pin it works out just fine.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:50 AM
  #1631
Heli biggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Covington, GA
Posts: 11
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

I broke of a rear axle holder the other day , and i have been letting the glue dry to test today, i do have some new aluminum upgrades coming . But i feel if i keep it on the road , my glue idea may hold up. I hope i dont loose another dogbone.

Funny name dad, we do love r/cing. If you have kids get them a sumo, they are also great.
Quote:
ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too


Quote:
ORIGINAL: onenut78

Got a question. how do i change out those big bulky aluminum 12mm wheel hex's on my volcano s30. i have a sweet set of wheels and tires i want to put on it but they are 14mm hex, they came with the hex's and axle pins. the volcano s30 doesn't use axle pins, uses those big 12mm hex's with the set screws. any way to change my axles to axles that use axle pins. any other company make axles that will fit my volcano s30, and fit the dogbones? thanks
Tornado S30 axle stubs will fit and give you the ability to use axle pins. 14mm Hex's will fit even though the axles were designed for 12mm. The 14mm hex will fit over the pin and be secure but the 14mm hex will have a larger diameter hole for the axle. This is not the correct way but I've done it and it's not been a problem. I'm sure you can find the right size axle that will have the right diameter axle if you research enough but the Tornado axles are really cheap and will work just fine. Acutually I just put Losi hex's which are like a oddball size between 12mm and 14mm on my sons Caldera 10E and even though the Caldera axle is smaller than the hole in the hex, when you tighten the wheel against it which keeps the hex against the pin it works out just fine.
Heli biggie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:04 AM
  #1632
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Heli biggie

I broke of a rear axle holder the other day , and i have been letting the glue dry to test today, i do have some new aluminum upgrades coming . But i feel if i keep it on the road , my glue idea may hold up. I hope i dont loose another dogbone.

Funny name dad, we do love r/cing. If you have kids get them a sumo, they are also great.
I've tried the glue thing myself. It'll probably let you limp around if your not jumping and taking it easy until your new parts get in. I had that problem with the front steering knuckles on my son's Caldera 10E when they kept stripping out. 1st glue attempt lasted a few days, then after the first glue fail it was lasting a few minutes. I put the aluminum knuckles on last Oct, no problems since. The Sumo's are pretty cool. I have two of them for the kids. One of them stripped the rear diff within 3-4 days, actually didn't strip it but chipped a gear and was making a clicking sound. Once I replaced that 2 weeks later my son smashed it into a door and blew the steering servo. Since then no more problems. My daughters ran for 2 months with no issues until about 2 weeks ago, lost the main board. Was probably the most dificult part to change on those tiny little trucks.

Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 AM
  #1633
onenut78
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oneida, NY
Posts: 30
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

so the Tornado s30 uses axle pins? Yeah, Losi does have a weird size, that's what i'm trying to put on my Volcano s30. They are wheels and tires from a Losi Ten-T electric. Thanks guys, i'll look into those tornado axles!
onenut78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:43 AM
  #1634
jtheg
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 15
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Hi all i'm from the uk and currently have a bug crusher pro, which i believe is the same as the vocano. Problem is i've just blown the team infinity engine. Instead of repairing the engine I would like to install something with a bit more power. Ive been looking everywhere and cant seem to work out which one i need. What type of crank do i require so as not to replace clutch etc?. standard or sg???

Are there any better engines than the .18 team infinity engine that are a direct drop in replacement that i can keep my clutch and exhaust etc.

The team infinity .18 engine over here is about £80..../.....

ive read os .21tm and traxass 3.3 are the same but i cannot confirm this data.


please help i have a need for speed!!!
jtheg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 06:29 PM
  #1635
Heli biggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Covington, GA
Posts: 11
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUVHMZTBUIw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This thing is fast!
Heli biggie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 01:23 PM
  #1636
jtheg
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Newport, UNITED KINGDOM
Posts: 15
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Anyone got any idea of what manifold/header ican use to fit a .18SH rear exhaust engine in a volcano?? My original engine is shot and I have a rear sh engine sat waiting but cant seem to find a manifold that will sit close to the engine and pass the shock.. I now i might have to remove a shock. but what manifold fits.

Thanks.
jtheg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 05:43 AM
  #1637
volcanoman01
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 31
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Does any body now whate battery connection the twister xtg pro & twister xtg have from factory.
volcanoman01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:39 AM
  #1638
bigblueford
 
bigblueford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Muscatine, IA
Posts: 12
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

I just bought a Twister XTG Pro within the last month or so. It has Deans connectors when I received it.

Also had a Deans to Tamiya adapter for charging batteries not running the car. I made my own Deans to Tamiya for running the car on NiMh batt's I had.

Car does pretty good with NiMh or 2s Lipo. 3s Lipo make the car really hard to handle.

bigblueford is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 04:58 PM
  #1639
volcanoman01
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 31
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Thanks for the info
volcanoman01 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:19 PM
  #1640
Kristoffer_E
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 45
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

My volcano's engine was not broken in properly, as it locked up really bad on the first tank, and the I couldn't fix it. The next day I left on a 2 week camping trip and the engine sat full of fuel. Its been jumped into a river, ran forever with no fuel filter, lived its first few months with no after run oil, and generally abused. Inside, the piston and cylinder don't have any visible scratches/blemishes. It has some orange crap I thought was corrosion from the fuel, but I've since been told its just oil residue and nothing to worry about. The engine starts up, and seems to have good power, but it will sometimes flame out at idle and be nearly impossible to restart. When this happens the engine seems to have no compression (pull start just unrolls with little tension, but you can see the flywheel go round), and if I let it cool for 5-10 min and then restart, it fires up and runs nicely. I've been told this means the engine is worn out (poor compression at operating temp), but the problem is sporadic. Today I did some nice high speed runs, over 2 tanks worth, and it worked no problem. Then, I had the dreaded flame-out, cooled the engine, and got going again after blistering my fingers on the pull start. I'd say its tuning, but as far as I can tell its running on the rich side, so I don't know why it would act like it is overheating. Any opinions on the motor? Would putting up a video of the sound be helpful?

Also, I have the HPI A886 clutch shoes: http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...37111_zoom.jpg
with the stock redcat bell, and something is slipping like crazy. On a 15 degree sand incline I floored the throttle from a standstill, and nothing happened. The engine revved up pretty high, but the truck failed to move. The acceleration is also crap, even in loose sand it won't spin the wheels, even though I can hear the engine hit max RPM in seconds. I have the 44T direct drive tranny in it, so there is no slipper clutch to worry about. The shoes are pretty new, so I don't know what is going on. Is it possible for the inside of the clutch bell to be worn too smooth, or is that not an issue? Would aluminum shoes help with the slipping, or an I better off with a different material? The plastic redcat shoes seem to suck, but I don't know what to replace them with since the HPI ones seem to be even worse.

For lower gearing, I'm looking at a 13 tooth HPI bell, here: http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=77103
If I could get down to 12 or even 11 teeth, I'd be tempted to try, but I don't know what kinds of bells will fit the Volcano. I'm assuming the Savage bells will fit, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

As to the clutch, I'm hoping aluminum shoes will grab harder than the teflon, and maybe not suck as bad. I don't know what kinds of aluminum clutches will fit, other than the redcat one here: http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=02048M
Recommendations?

Thanks,

Kristoffer

EDIT:
Would this Integy clutch shoe set perform any better than the redcat, or are they basically the same thing? http://h1070530.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=INTT3626
Also, how would Itell which (if any)of these clutch bells would fit my truck?

Kristoffer_E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 04:53 PM
  #1641
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kristoffer_E

My volcano's engine was not broken in properly, as it locked up really bad on the first tank, and the I couldn't fix it. The next day I left on a 2 week camping trip and the engine sat full of fuel. Its been jumped into a river, ran forever with no fuel filter, lived its first few months with no after run oil, and generally abused. Inside, the piston and cylinder don't have any visible scratches/blemishes. It has some orange crap I thought was corrosion from the fuel, but I've since been told its just oil residue and nothing to worry about. The engine starts up, and seems to have good power, but it will sometimes flame out at idle and be nearly impossible to restart. When this happens the engine seems to have no compression (pull start just unrolls with little tension, but you can see the flywheel go round), and if I let it cool for 5-10 min and then restart, it fires up and runs nicely. I've been told this means the engine is worn out (poor compression at operating temp), but the problem is sporadic. Today I did some nice high speed runs, over 2 tanks worth, and it worked no problem. Then, I had the dreaded flame-out, cooled the engine, and got going again after blistering my fingers on the pull start. I'd say its tuning, but as far as I can tell its running on the rich side, so I don't know why it would act like it is overheating. Any opinions on the motor? Would putting up a video of the sound be helpful?

Also, I have the HPI A886 clutch shoes: http://www.activepowersports.com/pro...37111_zoom.jpg
with the stock redcat bell, and something is slipping like crazy. On a 15 degree sand incline I floored the throttle from a standstill, and nothing happened. The engine revved up pretty high, but the truck failed to move. The acceleration is also crap, even in loose sand it won't spin the wheels, even though I can hear the engine hit max RPM in seconds. I have the 44T direct drive tranny in it, so there is no slipper clutch to worry about. The shoes are pretty new, so I don't know what is going on. Is it possible for the inside of the clutch bell to be worn too smooth, or is that not an issue? Would aluminum shoes help with the slipping, or an I better off with a different material? The plastic redcat shoes seem to suck, but I don't know what to replace them with since the HPI ones seem to be even worse.

For lower gearing, I'm looking at a 13 tooth HPI bell, here: http://www.hpieurope.com/piw.php?lang=en&partNo=77103
If I could get down to 12 or even 11 teeth, I'd be tempted to try, but I don't know what kinds of bells will fit the Volcano. I'm assuming the Savage bells will fit, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions?

As to the clutch, I'm hoping aluminum shoes will grab harder than the teflon, and maybe not suck as bad. I don't know what kinds of aluminum clutches will fit, other than the redcat one here: http://www.urchobby.com/proddetail.php?prod=02048M
Recommendations?

Thanks,

Kristoffer

EDIT:
Would this Integy clutch shoe set perform any better than the redcat, or are they basically the same thing? http://h1070530.hobbyshopnow.com/pro...?prod=INTT3626
Also, how would Itell which (if any)of these clutch bells would fit my truck?

What your describing about your engine certainly leads to a cooked motor, until you said you ran it for two tanks. Very confused on this. When you have no pinch left in the sleave, it will usually start up fine when cold and run ok under mild acceleration until you get into the revs or get it warm, then it just falls flat on it's face and will bog down and stall. Not really sure what your problem is here but if your able to run it for two tanks then you might just have a weak glow plug or a tuning issue. I would at the very least elliminate the two and replace the plug and retune from factory and then try to troubleshoot the problem with these two things out of the picture.

As far as the clutch shoes go, the plastic one's will give you great grip, I would stick with those. I'm not sure about the integy one's, but the HPI clutch shoes are almost identical. The Savage clutch bells will fit your Volcano . You have the SH .18 right? I know it fits the SH engine, not sure about the VX engine. I run these clutch bells on my Tornado. I am using an HPI 18t Savage bell right now on it.

You said it's just reving on an incline. Does it drive fine on flat ground? It could be a number of things. Besides the possibility of the clutch shoes, are your center dog bones slipping at the diffs? Check your grub screws. Do you have a stripped diff? Is it reving under any condition - stripped spur gear?

Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:52 PM
  #1642
Kristoffer_E
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 45
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Quote:
As far as the clutch shoes go, the plastic one's will give you great grip, I would stick with those.  I'm not sure about the integy one's, but the HPI clutch shoes are almost identical.  The Savage clutch bells will fit your Volcano .  You have the SH .18 right?  I know it fits the SH engine, not sure about the VX engine.  I run these clutch bells on my Tornado.  I am using an HPI 18t Savage bell right now on it.
I can get another set of plastic redcat shoes, but for only a few dollars difference, would the aluminum perform differently?  Yeah, I have an SH 18.  How does an 18T bell work on the SH 18?  Do you have the stock Volcano center tranny, or a different one?  I have the direct-drive like in the Shockwave, and I think my 16T bell makes it geared a little high, so I'm thinking 12T or 13T will give some better low end good power.

Quote:
You said it's just reving on an incline.  Does it drive fine on flat ground?  It could be a number of things.  Besides the possibility of the clutch shoes, are your center dog bones slipping at the diffs?  Check your grub screws.  Do you have a stripped diff?  Is it reving under any condition - stripped spur gear?
It drives ok on level, in grass/sand and other rough terrain it runs kinda slow, even though the engine sounds like its revving pretty well.  On hard pack/concrete, the engine revs up pretty quick, but the truck accelerates slowly.  The top end isn't what it used to be with a new motor and all stock gearing, but its still up there.  Since it does go I assume the grub screws/drive cups are all fine and I know the spur is brand new.  When I hold it in the air the tires get up to speed and balloon up pretty quick, so I assume its just a stupid clutch that is failing to transfer the power when its pulling against  the weight of the truck..  Again, since it drives a little and seems to work when held in the air, I'm making the assumption that the diffs are still good too.

As for the engine, I have no idea.  I'll try the glow plug and a retune from factory settings next weekend when I get some time, and see what happens.
Kristoffer_E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 04:21 PM
  #1643
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Kristoffer, I just realized why your burning up clutches.  If you put the Shockwave tranny in your Volcano and your still running large monster truck size tires, the gear ratio is way too high.  The Shokwave tranny with the 44t spur is not big enough to turn those tires off the line without cooking your clutch.  This was the main reason I had to put the Volcano tranny in my Tornado when I put bigger tires on it.  It will run ok once it gets going but it's too much strain on the clutch to get it moving.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
  #1644
Kristoffer_E
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 45
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Hmm, ok. How many teeth would I want on the clutch bell to compensate for the increased gearing? Is 12 sufficiently low, or should I try to fit a 49T or even bigger spur gear into the Shockwave tranny in addition to a smaller clutch bell? ie. a savage spur or something?

I figured it was geared a little high, but if that's the problem, its CRAZY high.

Thanks for your help,

Kristoffer
Kristoffer_E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:07 PM
  #1645
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread


Quote:
ORIGINAL: Kristoffer_E

Hmm, ok. How many teeth would I want on the clutch bell to compensate for the increased gearing? Is 12 sufficiently low, or should I try to fit a 49T or even bigger spur gear into the Shockwave tranny in addition to a smaller clutch bell? ie. a savage spur or something?

I figured it was geared a little high, but if that's the problem, its CRAZY high.

Thanks for your help,

Kristoffer
I did a lot of research when I converted my Tornado. First I ran it with the bigger tires. Stock 1st gear spur was a 47 tooth, I think the clutch was a 15t in first and 17t in second. After looking into the Shockwave tranny, I contacted Redcat to see if they had a larger spur that would fit that tranny, the answer was no. Since the diff gears are the same size as my HPI MT2, I wanted gearing similar to it, which was 52t spur with a 14t bell. Since 44t was the largest spur available I figured I would need at least a 11t bell which I didn't think existed. So this is what led me to going with the Volcano tranny. Since my 2.8 size buggy tires are not as tall as the Volcano tires, I didn't need such a small clutch bell. Right now I have the stock spur in the Volcano with a HPI 18t bell and it runs great all over the RPM range. Since you already have the Shockwave tranny in, I would try the smallest clutch bell you could find and go from there. A 12t might just do it. It will certainly be a big difference from the 16t bell. In the end, it may not give you the performance your looking for, but it will certainly help your clutch out.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 07:31 PM
  #1646
Kristoffer_E
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 45
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Honestly, I thought the bottom end with the Volcano tranny was lacking . These say they fit in all HPI engines, which includes the Savage. The savage, and the Savage cluthbell fits the SH 18. So for 6 dollars, I think I will try one and see what happens.

Failing that, I'll get a 13T savage clutch bell (not from that store, their price sucks and they don't even have it in stock), and try that. If it STILL doesn't work, I think a 47T savage spur gear could be jammed into the Shockwave tranny with a little bit of dremel work, maybe even a few teeth larger. Then, with at least a 13T clutch bell and a 47T spur, it should be a little better.

EDIT: Also, a lot of people on RCUhave said that this direct drive conversion from All About Fun Hobbies is an inprovement in both top AND bottem end, because its geared a little higher, and removes all the frition and rotational mass of the Volcano gearbox. It is a shockwave tranny and 13T bell, so I'd be inclined to think that a 13T bell could even work with the unmodified shockwave tranny.

Kristoffer_E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 03:01 AM
  #1647
Dads like rc too
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: myrtle beach, SC
Posts: 754
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

I agree the Shockwave tranny is better than the Volcano tranny, I just had a feeling the stock 44 tooth spur was not going to be big enough.  Also looking at the size of my HPI spur, I didn't think it would fit into the Shockwave tranny.  If you can make it work, let me know, I'd love to have that direct drive tranny instead of a related one that self destructs.
Dads like rc too is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM
  #1648
onenut78
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Oneida, NY
Posts: 30
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

will the sh .21 engine work in the volcano? think i blew my engine yesterday and if i need to replace it wanted to see if the bigger engine will work for it.
onenut78 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:03 PM
  #1649
Kristoffer_E
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sandy, UT
Posts: 45
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

The SH .21 should fit on the stock chassis, if that is your question. I believe you will need new motor mounts, and all the .21 SH motors I've seen are rear exhaust, so you will need a new header and possibly a new pipe. Also, that motor is a slide carb, so you will need to find some clever way to adapt your servo linkage to open the carb. Finally, I don't know if your flywheel/clutch parts will fit on the .21. I'd assume they would, but if someone more knowledgeable than myself could confirm, that'd be great.

So short answer: yes it will work, but it will take some mods. You can get some ideas here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsvoJEa0GxU
However, the aluminum suspension arms are somewhat (ok, more than somewhat) counter-intuitive. They are expensive, they bend, and even if they hold they just transfer the force of impact to the next weakest piece. I'd rather spend 10 minutes and $3 and change an A-Arm, than either have a bent aluminum arm or a broken diff casing. Other than that, that video seems to have some solid mods.

HobbyHot seems to have the best price on SH engines of anyone out there, although they don't currently have the .21 in stock. The tuned pipe for the .21 engine and the engine itself are here (sorry, somewhat hyperlink retarded at the moment, I managed to switch to the bbcode editor and I don't like it):
http://www.hobbyhot.com/HSP-Model-08...pe-Header.html
http://www.hobbyhot.com/SH-ENGINES-M...ck-Truggy.html

Good luck,
Kristoffer
Kristoffer_E is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:15 AM
  #1650
irishmik1
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: west townsend, MA
Posts: 2
Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Just got my volcano epx and it was running great, then yesterday it wouldn't go in reverse. Now today it runs great in reverse but won't go forward. I have messed with any settings, so what could possibly be wrong and what can I do????
irishmik1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:28 AM.