Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:19 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

uhm, they'll run for a few minutes but with out pressure from the exhaust they won't run long at all.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:23 AM
gatucar

Great help guys,
I think my new pipe is arriving tomorrow.
Since I am not very happy with my volcano I will try some engine modifications... I will take my volcano as a "learning" experience before upgrading it.
Has anybody polished the ports or crankshaft of the volcano stock engine? It is possible to get more power out of it?
Anybody can send me some pictures, tutorials, advice on carburetor and / or engine modifications for the volcano truck?
Once again...Thank you guys.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:54 PM
retiredcutter

I bought my Volcano SV in January, and couldn't be happier with it. Right out of the box it has started and run perfect. Once I broke in the engine, it starts first pull, every time. As far as I am concerned, it is just as good, if not better, than those R/C's costing twice as much. Check some of the older threads and there is bunches of info on clutch bells, tuning and mods. Good luck

Volcano SV with tuned pipe and some upgrades and a failsafe; Hurricane XP, stock except monster truck wheels with hub extenders.
Go Redcat
Old 06-07-2007, 04:59 PM
gatucar

THANKS FOR THE ADVICE RETIREDCUTTER. I HAVE TO READ A LOT MORE BEFORE DOING ANYTHING!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:15 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

ORIGINAL: gatucar

Great help guys,
I think my new pipe is arriving tomorrow.
Since I am not very happy with my volcano I will try some engine modifications... I will take my volcano as a "learning" experience before upgrading it.
Has anybody polished the ports or crankshaft of the volcano stock engine? It is possible to get more power out of it?
Anybody can send me some pictures, tutorials, advice on carburetor and / or engine modifications for the volcano truck?
Once again...Thank you guys.

I don't think anyone has taken the time to do porting and polishing on one of those engines. It's a great basher engine for the money takes alot of abuse from new comers miss tuning the engine or not using air filter oil. I has purposlly left my air filter off, miss tuned the engine, run it super lean, not used air fitler oil and a host of other insane things you don't want to do an engine and the thing still runs scored, discolored sleave, piston and all. There an amazingly durable engine. By the way FYI, Can Racing uses the same Engine in there MT spec 3.0 and they have made excellent use of the engine by using there dual stinger two stage exhaust, the engine idles smoothly and stays idling with no problems also sounds better and has WAY more power than the setup Redcat uses. Just alittle FYI for those looking for a good muffler for there Redcat 1/10th cars.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:39 PM
gatucar

Thank you Allaboutfunhobbies for your comments.
I think I will try to do the porting and polishing in my volcano. Since it is a cheap engine the polishing work may have a great impact on it. I will post my comments once I am done with it.
Old 06-17-2007, 03:36 PM
05mustang05

I just purchased a Volcano SV and should be receiving it tomorrow. This is my first Nitro RC car and I am really excited to start this hobby. I was just wondering if I should go ahead and preorder some aluminum parts or any other parts that tend to break with these trucks, that way if something breaks, I will have it ready to replace. Any suggestions, or should I just wait and see how the truck is before I buy anything? Thanks for your help!
Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest waiting and seeing, the clutch bell, shoes and springs are supposed to be updated so that should be fine. Front arms, spur gear and some steering knuckles may be needed but i would wait and see. stay away from aluminum, its expensive, it can bend, its heavier and it will just break whatever plastic is hooked up to, the breaking will just go down the line to somewhere else.

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-Arm-sv/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-arm-sv/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...ur-Gear/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...m-*1Set/Detail
Old 06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
ehroof

also if you want, this is a great setup to replace the original setup, gives better low end. nice top end and a little more durable.

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...iff-kit/Detail
Old 06-17-2007, 04:46 PM
gatucar

I would not buy any upgrade. Keep the price as low as possible. Since this is an entry level car you may want to save your money to upgrade to a nicer truck instead of putting a heavy investment in your Volcano (if you really get to enjoy the hobby). See it in this way: you already spent 200 dollars. An extra 100 dollars in upgrades would be already 300. I would prefer getting a Savage for 400 and stay away from the upgrades.
Enjoy you car.
Old 06-17-2007, 06:56 PM
leemunger

Can anyone help me with the break-in procedure? I'm looking specific instructions or a vid thanks.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:10 PM
ehroof

http://www.traxxas.com/support/index...3%20break%20in

traxxas break in procedure, this is basically how i do it.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:33 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Ya agreed, by the time you get all the upgrades you could buy a savage or something a little tougher later on after you have taken your licks on the redcat and learned all the stuff that destroys a nitro vehicle.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:34 PM
leemunger

Thanks for the link. I also found a vid on youtube that was also helpful http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOPyZ...elated&search= He has all the clips on his channel.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:46 AM
05mustang05

Okay, thanks a ton everyone! I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to see there is a forum already setup and well developed for support. Ehroof, I have seen some of your videos on youtube as well as on the redcat website, very nice man! I read further back in this thread, and it seems that quite a few people had problems with the clutch bell and shoes... but you said they upgraded those, so they shouldn't be toooo big of a problem?
Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

The new shoes, springs and clutch bell are prety decent and last a good long while. The only thing that is still lacking in thought is the trans, there is still WAYYYY to many gears to get the same results as the single gear setup, but I would deffinatly wait till I wore out my gears to get the upgrade trans setup, it could be a while till you strip out your gears.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:09 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: 05mustang05

Okay, thanks a ton everyone! I appreciate your feedback. I'm glad to see there is a forum already setup and well developed for support. Ehroof, I have seen some of your videos on youtube as well as on the redcat website, very nice man! I read further back in this thread, and it seems that quite a few people had problems with the clutch bell and shoes... but you said they upgraded those, so they shouldn't be toooo big of a problem?

thanks bro, i have a few on photobucket.com too. From what i understand, the single speeds are all upgraded with a steel clutch bell and new shoes and spring, the 2 speeds are still the aluminum though. You should be fine with the new volcano, the easy way to tell is just take a magnet to the clutch bell, if it sticks its steel, if not its aluminum and needs to be changed.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:28 PM
05mustang05

Should I buy a few extra glow plugs? Does the Volcano tend to foul them out during break in?
Old 06-18-2007, 01:55 PM
ehroof

it cant hurt to have some extra glow plugs on hand, os a3 i would suggest. most cars foul them out during break in or shortly afterwards.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:11 PM
05mustang05

Well, I received my Volcano today, and I love it! It started on the 3rd pull. I got to run 3 tanks through it, and now when I crank it, it runs for about 5-10 seconds and stalls. I think I am running it too lean, so I turned the the needle valve 1/4 turn counter clockwise. Now it won't start at all, but I think my glow plug igniter is dead. How long do those take to charge usually? Oh, one more question and I'll leave everyone alone, I promise. haha. I have a friend who gave me a Traxxas standard long glowplug part #3230. Will this work on my truck? Thanks again!
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
ehroof

your probably running too rich or you fouled your plug. you need to charge that ignitor for like 8 hours or more. set the needle sot 2 1/2 out on the high and flush with the collar on the low.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 PM
05mustang05

Thanks for all of your help ehroof! I got it running, the glow plug igniter was dead, wow do I feel dumb. I ran it for about 5 minutes... and then it just stopped and wouldn't go at all. It was still idleing just fine and the steering servos responded just fine, but when I pulled the trigger to accelerate, it just sat there... Not sure if the throttle servo is already gone or what... I can hear something spinning and attempting to turn inside the black box connected to the throttle level, but the actual level is doing nothing... I havn't ran it hard yet, or jumped it, im still breaking it in! Any help would be appreciated.

**Edit** i took the little black box apart and found that around 7 to 8 teeth on the top gear had been stripped off. How could this have happened when i was just breaking it in? Do they make metal gears for this?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:38 PM
ehroof

check the connections in the reciever but its more than likely the servo or the radio system, i had one of my controllers not work on the throttle, if its new redcat will replace it but i would suggest a better radio system
Old 06-18-2007, 08:57 PM
05mustang05

Okay, thanks, I'm just going to take it to a local hobby shop tomorrow and see what other kinds of radios they have... All of your help is much appreciated Ehroof.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:59 PM
ehroof

your welcome bro, most shops carry futaba, check out the 2 ph system, its like $50. dont spend anything more than $100 unless you get a spektrum, you can get one for $169, the dx2

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.