Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Volcano Thread

aldwardo - sorry about that - I was unsure if the length was right and mentioned it, but not very clearly - but I am glad you got it taken care of.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:29 PM
aldwardo
My Feedback: (1)

No problem at all. Buying 4 screws at my LHS costs about that much, so at least I have something to show for it. I appreciate the help though, that site will be very useful, and I had no idea what the thread size was.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:31 PM
NilSatis

Hi guys, I have a Volcano and needed an engine for it, currently installing the vx.18 and need some new backplate screws...does anyone know the correct size of these screws, so that i can potentially find an alternative? [&:] They seem a strange size, under m3 but not m2.5?!!? I would measure mine, but dont have any....and cant find them anywhere in the uk. [&o]
Old 08-09-2009, 07:37 PM
chevyderek72

You could go to some hardware stores and see if you can find some that will fit, or to a local hobby shop. Bring the original srews and the motor and see if something fits. Ive always found what i need at the hardware store.
Old 08-09-2009, 07:43 PM
NilSatis

I think im gonna have to, but ill bet they dont have this size [X(]...i have all sorts in my collection lol and can find one that fits, badly. I might have a guess at 2.6mm screws; they are smaller than 3mm and bigger than 2.5. Ugh!!! Think Traxxas do some of those, so can try them.... Thanks for the help buddy.
Old 10-02-2009, 08:49 AM
delorean123

New guy here..I just got a Volcano S30..and before I start it up ..I was wondering why the Steering servo makes a terrible sound when I turn the wheels..??..Like Click Click Click and it's really jumpy...Doesn't turn the wheels smooth at all..??...Is something out of adjustment..??
Old 10-02-2009, 07:06 PM
chevyderek72

Might be a bad servo, it should rotate smoothly.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:06 PM
birchbay88

is there a way i can turn off my volcano with out having to pinch the gas line
Old 10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
lvh

yea plug the exhaust pipe with something.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:47 PM
despoiler

Can you please recommend a good replacement for my steering servo for my Volcano?
Old 01-15-2010, 12:41 AM
chevyderek72

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=6221

ive heard good things about that servo, someone on here was running it on his 1/8 steering
Old 01-15-2010, 10:39 AM
despoiler

Thanks for the reply chevyderek.

I'm anxious to get this fixed, cuz I'm itching to drive it! At the moment, it's barely drivable. It turns right very well, but it will only barely turn left. When turning left, the servo struggles and shakes (not the body, but the shaft). It also just makes a lot of noise when it's turned on.

Replaced the batteries in the truck, but that didn't help, so I figure the servo is shot. I'm sort of surprised though.... I've only had the truck for 2 months. I would expect the part wouldn't be broken based on the use it's had. I've put about a gallon of nitro through the truck. I had one really bad wreck (on my first day with it!) where I broke the servo saver and a couple minor roll overs since.

Since it seems like the servo is more of a standard part, I suspect I could get a replacement at the local hobby shop instead of the internet. Maybe I'll take it out of the truck and hit the local hobby shop..... I want to drive this weekend and don't want to wait for an internet order to ship!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:59 PM
wakingthefallenprophecies

im am looking at getting a volcano s30 on ebay ina couple days and have a couple questions as i am new to the hobby are the electronics sealed and anything else do i have to worry about since i will be running it in snow and a good how to link to break in the engine right
Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 PM
despoiler

im am looking at getting a volcano s30 on ebay ina couple days and have a couple questions as i am new to the hobby are the electronics sealed and anything else do i have to worry about since i will be running it in snow and a good how to link to break in the engine right
Disclaimer: I'm very new to the hobby, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I have a Volcano S30 (or maybe it's an SV?). I love my truck! It's my first experience with a Nitro car and I've had a blast running it and learning about it. If you haven't driven one of these before, I'll just warn you to be careful..... they're fast and at speed it's easy to make a mistake and wreck it, potentially breaking something. I broke my servo saver and lower front suspension arm on my first day, heh.

1. Sealed electronics: I don't think the electronics box is waterproof, but I've been running mine in the Utah winter for a couple months now and never had a problem with it. I've been bashing in the snow quite a bit, so the entire truck internals end up with snow on them. When I'm done, I bring it inside and dry it off. The throttle servo, batteries and receiver are all encased inside a fairly water resistant carrier box. The steering servo is out in the open. But.... no problems here.

2. Engine break in: The instructions included in mine were great. After I'd broken in my engine, I found a great video by RedCat on YouTube.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_dmf1b7Jow[/youtube]

Good Luck bro!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Mickstix

ORIGINAL: despoiler

Thanks for the reply chevyderek.

At the moment, it's barely drivable. It turns right very well, but it will only barely turn left. When turning left, the servo struggles and shakes (not the body, but the shaft). It also just makes a lot of noise when it's turned on.

Replaced the batteries in the truck, but that didn't help, so I figure the servo is shot. I'm sort of surprised though.... I've only had the truck for 2 months.
I had the steeringservo go bad on my TornadoS30.. Did about the same thing yours is, except it wouldnt turn muchin either direction..It just stuttered real bad.. I had hosed the car off a few times and some moisture must of gotten into it is all I can think of?Anyway, that servo Derek linked ya to is a sweet servo at only $10!! Good luck gettin her back in action!!

Walkingthefallenprophecies: the battery/radio box isnt waterproof on these, so get yourself a balloon or something and slip it over your reciever to keep it dry.. You can also dip your servo's insomething called "plasti-dip" if ya want to really play in the water.. I gota can at HomeDepot, but any hardware type store should carry it.. You just dip the servo into it a time or two and it seals em up pretty good!It forms like a rubber skin over the servo and servo "gear", so no moisture gets in. I saw it done in a youtube video, but cant find the link now.. Sorry. But like I said, all ya do is dip the servo into it.The guy in the video openedup the servo first, and put a smallbead of grease around the gear that sticks out (gear that the servoarm goes on) and then put the servo back together (that step is optional)then hewrapped the servo wire around a pencil and dipped the whole thing into the plasti-dip, then he set the pencil up on two tall glasses that were slightly taller than the can of "plasti-dip" so the access could drip back into the can.. Once it's done dripping he left it like that to dry.. That was it!Good luck and happy "snow"bashin!!
Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 AM
despoiler

I had the steeringservo go bad on my TornadoS30.. Did about the same thing yours is, except it wouldnt turn muchin either direction..It just stuttered real bad.. I had hosed the car off a few times and some moisture must of gotten into it is all I can think of?Anyway, that servo Derek linked ya to is a sweet servo at only $10!! Good luck gettin her back in action!
Status report: I stopped by my LHS, RC Planet in Salt Lake, and picked up a HiTec 645MG. This is a great priced metal gear servo! It was about $30 at RC Planet. The only issue was the stock Volcano servo horn didn't fit on the new servo and the new servo came with servo horns that wouldn't reallyaccommodatethe mount to the linkage to the servo saver / turn buckle. www.redcatracing.com/Parts-Search/08021. I ended up forcing the stock servo horn on the new servo. (not really recommended.....) But, it works great! This new servo has a lot more torque than the stock one, and my truck is back running and bashing like crazy!

Old 01-17-2010, 12:46 AM
rcguy1411

first thing i do to prep a truck is place reciver in a baloon or plastic bag and zip tie it closed water will get every where the bag is just a little extre protection if it does get wet use WD 40 it may save your reciver and servo if they get wet i run my volcano in the snow and am still using the stocl radio equiptment
Old 01-17-2010, 12:54 AM
Mickstix

ORIGINAL: despoiler

Status report: I stopped by my LHS, RC Planet in Salt Lake, and picked up a HiTec 645MG.The only issue was the stock Volcano servo horn didn't fit on the new servo and the new servo came with servo horns that wouldn't reallyaccommodatethe mount to the linkage to the servo saver / turn buckle.
Nice servo!! Yea, I've had the same problems getting the redcat servo arms on other brand servo's.. You can do like you did and force the arm onto the servo gear(using heat to soften up the arm helps a little) or do like I did and break out the dremel..Idrilled the hole a little bigger so it'd accept the "post".. It tighted right up into the new hole, but I used a little super glue just to be safe.. I also had to shorten the arm so it wouldnt hit the battery box when it was at full lock.. No biggy.. I actually like modifying stuff anyway.. Glad ya got it fixed up!!
Old 01-17-2010, 01:46 AM
arang2000

THUNDERBOLT~
arang2000
Old 01-17-2010, 07:46 AM
RCToysNh

ORIGINAL: wakingthefallenprophecies

1. Make sure the dealer on Ebay is an authorized RedCat dealer before you buy.
2. Link for all the video help and break in here;

http://www.rctoysnh.com/catalog/videohelp.php

Old 01-17-2010, 06:34 PM
chevyderek72

You could also use the plastic dip spray, its in a spray can like paint, and it doesnt glob on or leave big spots on it. I think it was squirell on youtube that always used the dip kind, then switched to the spray kind and likes it a lot better.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:11 AM
buggy fanatic
My Feedback: (16)

i'm not new to rc but to redcat.i have 2 buggys and love em.i bought a used volcanostx.wondering could someone please tell me the single speed trans. for this.i went through some old post but the links were dead end.it said a 13 tooth clutch but wondering if the 44 spur is right.the factory ratio seems to figure 4.75-1,this ratio figures 3.88-1.could some one tell me for sure what works.thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 01:35 PM
bordguy

can you calibrate the esc on a volcano epx? not the pro.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:46 PM
kctga0116

HELP!!  I am the mother of a very unhappy 12 year old. I bought him the Volcano EPX Pro brushless truck for christmas and we have had nothing but problems since the first 5 minutes.  The rear hub broke as soon as he ran it on flat grass.  So I ordered $100.00 in parts since no one in our area carries parts. So we fixed that after parts came in...then I found out the 2000mah batter that came with it only runs 5-7 minutes per chris at redcat..he suggested I buy a 4-5000mah battery and charger...So I spent another $100.00 FOR A NEW BATTERY AND CHARGER, this was supposed to get him 20-25 minutes of run time. NOW the truck only runs for 15-20 SECONDS and it keeps shutting down...we turn it off and back on and it runs for 15-20 seconds and shuts down.....can anyone give me any ideas what is wrong with this truck??? Please don't tell me I bought a piece of junk.  I just want it to run properly, he oly plays on a dirt road or grassy field nothing that is rough on it.

Please keep in mind that I have no idea about RC so use laymans terms when responding.  I thank you for yor time1
Old 01-04-2011, 05:15 PM
1ofmyfuns

Get a hold of REDCAT RACING again and explain what is happening, I'm new here so I cant say much about this stuff but I have read many comments about how well Redcat Racing takes care of issues with their product so I say go that route and I'll bet they get you fixed up....!

Good luck I hope you get it all resolved very soon...!

ShanG.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.