Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Hurricane Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 10:23 PM
impune

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Hurricane Thread

awesome i appreciate the help. i am still a novice and i sold my hpi trucks and bought this and also waiting for the avalanche too. it arrives possibly tomorrow.... so once i break this toy in, i get to play with the .28 i thought i was buying with the hurricane lx. (thought the seller was selling the xp- said new)

but i did keep the traxxas stampede... was a gift and love just ripping around and wheelies with it.

any great setting for this .21?

i'm used to the two needle.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:53 PM
vnmsgt

Silver collars are brake adjusters.
Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 PM
mrlee2071

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, you would think I would have known that hugh [:-]
Old 04-26-2008, 07:28 AM
impune

well i wanted to throw something out there.

i've been reading tons of threads, but not found the answers i was looking for.

1. the fm radio was recalled, but what do the replacements look like? is it worth the am if you have not had the glitch yet?
2. the roto starts? i want to start it with something else then pulling the cord. what are good roto start for the avalanche sh.28 and the hurricane .21 i have?
3. i'm trying to figure the setting, i'm in florida and weather changes from 80 to 60 at night.... i am used to the two needle and this three needle instruction kinda hard to follow and alot of the videos i found were hpi two needle helpt to set the engine.. how far out do you set each need to start the adjustment a qaurter turn down, and what sign to worry about to quickly adjust the engine to not kill it?

i appreciate it.
Old 04-26-2008, 01:01 PM
rclynx

You really don't need to put a question on more than one thread in the Redcat forums because the guys read these all the time and help people out. Thats why its so popular. Go back to the other thread you posted on and your answer will be there [&o]
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM
impune

whats the best replacement glow plugs for the .21 and then the sh.28 engines to start out after break in?
Old 04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
impune

i was woundering, is the hot bodies 1/8 buggy lightning 2 from the same factory as the hurricane? that and some himoto and hsp and another named exceed all look similar. i just noticed a picture of the hot body lightning sport 2 1/9 buggy look familiar...
Old 04-30-2008, 07:45 AM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: impune

whats the best replacement glow plugs for the .21 and then the sh.28 engines to start out after break in?
I have always used Megatech Q series Q-59 and have been great for me.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 PM
impune

awesome thanks. i apprecaite the reply. so use that for both engines?

thanks again
Old 04-30-2008, 09:15 PM
impune

what about the fireball glow plugs?
Old 04-30-2008, 10:00 PM
vnmsgt

ORIGINAL: impune

awesome thanks. i apprecaite the reply. so use that for both engines?

thanks again
Should be fine for both. I use them in my .21 and .28. Clermont hobby carries them. Here is a link.

[link]http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/servlet/the-283/Q-dsh-59-Platinum/Detail[/link]
Old 05-01-2008, 07:55 PM
deschampzz

I have the hurricane xp with the .28 engine....The steering servo doesnt work all the sudden....Is this due to the faulty FM controller??? I took my AM volcano reciever and put it in the hurricane and still only the throttle servo worked only....I dont know if they are different and the hurricane needs a special reciever....But anyway its annoying and now I have to wait however long for them to send me back the AM controller......doesn anyone think its just the faulty controller?
Old 05-01-2008, 08:14 PM
Swamp3r

I think it's the servo and no you don't need a special radio.
Edit make sure you check for any broken wires you could also take the throttle servo and put on for steering just to double check.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:31 PM
firebird78

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

make sure you have the plugs in the right spot...your servo will work with the am radio...most likely you have them plugged in wrong or you have a bad connection...
Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 AM
Swamp3r

Use your throttle sevro see if it works.........It isn't reversed wires...And it isn't the radio it has to be the servo if it is doing the same thing with both radios and receivers I don't think it is reversed. If if does it with both radio/receiver then it's a broken wire like I said or a faulty receiver like I said.
Edit plug in your throttle servo and see if it works if it works then it's your steering servo.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
impune

hey swamp3r we bought the hurricane from the same guy. hows yours? mine ended up the xl model..

i had a question though.

i have the avalanche and no one has answered the question yet.

i am guessing the oneway bearing went out. previously in a post i stated that it was an easy pull all of asudden. i was told that i was probly using the traxxas fuel and was all oiled up. so i cleaned it and it started to work again while i am trying to get the sh. 28 tuned to run....it started to slip again. in the begining was too rich and would stall the second you began to squeeze the throttle. so i stated to lean the lsn out to get it to move forward.

well the second run when the pull coed was easy again, i cleaned it again. but no used did not work. my question is, i did something wrong putting the back plate on or something. i put the bearing and the backplate together, screwed the four screws in and as i finished decided to check the spin-thump and it would not move(the shaft or oneway) so after three times of taking apart and redoing it would move again. is there a trick i am missing to put it back together? or what was i doing wrong? so i ordered two new oneway bearings. just to have extra. my traxxas oneway lasted years, but it was not located inside the engine though.

i also ordered the back plates too. to roto start them now.

my hurricane came with the .21 engine though. the avalanche with the sh.28

thanks
Old 05-04-2008, 05:48 AM
rclynx

Nothing wrong with the bearing...........Do you pinch the fuel line to clear the fuel from the engine when you shut it off? If not start [:-] A lot of people have a habit of picking there cars and trucks from the front bumper, if you do that makes what ever fuel thats left in the crankcase go straight to the one way bearing [&:] pick it up from the rear bumper or carry it level
Old 05-04-2008, 06:28 AM
impune

well i cleaned the bearing with small brush and dawn to get the oil off of it and it still when you pull to start just pulss easy, one thump at beginning of pull thats it. so i soaked it too and tried to degrease it mre. stilll no change. so i ordered new oneway. if new one works, something wrong with the other one.

i actually pick it up from the middle, big truck. now the stampede i pick it up the way you said.. but it's oneway is outside the engine. but that was good advise. appreciate that. never thought about it.

what about when i was putting it back together, the engine. i attached the oneway to the backplate and screwed the four screws on. sat flush. but once screwed down now moved ment in the engine. happened several times. the flywheel nore the bolt to the oneway would moved. about for tries later, i was assembled and with movement. is there a trick or what was i doing wrong. nervous about not screwing it up.

thanks again

so my problem is the string pulls out very easy with only slight catch in first of pull.. and what ever i was doing wrong when i asembled it back three times with no movement, tried to move the flywheel and no turn. then fourth try woo hoo.... but the pull start does not catch but a thump....
Old 05-04-2008, 06:33 AM
impune

oh yeah, no the truck stalled adn would not start again becasue of the no catching oneway. so poured all the fuel out upside down into a funnel to use later again. so no fuel in the truck. i have not had the luxury to pich the line on it to stop it yet. i just want to run it first. it's already broken in. just now trying to adjust the needles to get it to run around instead of idle. first problem after breakin was hit the gas instant stall. so i started to adjust the lsn so it will run and go forward.

thanks rclynx, i appreciate your help.

hey is the xtm .28 the same engine?
Old 05-04-2008, 12:44 PM
rclynx

Sounds like your stalling problem is causing most of the problem. SH is a great engine and I use them for almost all my applications but I will honestly say that the oil on the bearing is a constant problem with them as well as others that have internal bearings. I hope you weren't missing the drive rod on the crankshaft for the one way bearing. Thats the only thing that would cause a bind and not a good thing to have done [] I wish you were close by I could show you in about a minute or three how to stop the stalling and probably your problems would be 80% gone. Don't think for one minute that the problem goes away with a Sure start or Roto start, that can magnify the problem but make it a little easier to start [&o] It would be good if you could find a LHS to help you with the tuning............when thats right your much better off. Be sure to stay while they tune it and educate yourself by watching.

hey is the xtm .28 the same engine?
basic .28 is the same but a little different configuration than the P3...............our 6port is a screamer, but there all made by Golden Lion [:-]
Old 05-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Swamp3r

impune my hurricane fired right up just a minor idle issue easy fix, and I haven't had any problems yet but only have about 6 tanks through it. I hope you get your issues resolved.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:33 PM
impune

thanks i appreciate it.

not sure about the missing the bar part for the oneway. i put it together and di a light turn each time to make sure prior to fastening the bolt and flywheel moved but once fastened, not movement when i tried... so several-third or fourth try it worked.

i am waiting for the new oneway to try again... seeing i can't get this one to catch...
Old 05-04-2008, 09:25 PM
impune

well i got nervous over that bar thing. it moves -rotates well hard thump to turn over. hows it look? missing anything? other than the pull start?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13812.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	943033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50348.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	943034   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28566.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	943035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo36129.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	943036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ny26151.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	943037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ne55389.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	943038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ik91185.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	943039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge16092.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	943040  

Old 05-04-2008, 09:52 PM
impune

quess who got thier thump back... i took it apart for the pics, slowly put it back together- worked first time. after i cleaned it with multipurpose degreeser spray and tooth brush as best possible, dried. installed back to truck. and it's got thump again.... woo hoo!!!!! i already ordered two more for back up...
Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Swamp3r

Good to hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.