Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Hibityhupla!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ORIGINAL: Erick88

Just what you guys want I'm sure...but...here goes.....

I'm new to nitro cars and am looking for something just to mess around with in gravel parking lots/fields etc...probably wouldn't be racing it. Don't want to spend too much but I don't want junk either. As far as redcat goes, I'm looking at the tornado BB for $152 from an ebay seller or a shockwave for about 115...not a huge difference. There's also the exceed RC entry level 1/10 buggy for 119 and finally, the CEN MG16 (don't really want a truck but I saw one at my LHS and it looks RUGGED). CEN is the most expensive at 180 and I'm not sure the quality is that much better than redcat? And of course all of the hobby shop guys tell me to get traxxas but they seem way overpriced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!
Go for a one speed model. The 2 speed is nice for speed but has a problem with chewing up gears. then you can put that extra cash towards fuel and glow plugs...
Old 03-31-2008, 10:59 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: ldgasp

anyone have "other than Redcat" rims and tires on their buggy. im looking to get an aftermarket set but i am unsure what to get.
I think it's been said to death, but the jato rear wheels will work good....lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
redcatracing18

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: redcatracing18

Hey guys im new to this forum, i really need some help. I just got my tornado bb, i want to kno if there is anyway i can put a rear exhaust on it. I would reallly like it, i dont know if it is possible though. Also, any recommendations of things to upgrade/replace?
This will work. Found it on ebay. already put it one of my cars.------ TSAIS 1/10 REAR-EXHAUST PIPE FITS HPI RS4 E1020R --- just cut and paste..
So are you sure it would work with my tornado bb? Also what will i need to do to make it fit? Do i need to change anything?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:01 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: daveschutt

i have not posted things on the redcat thread in a while because i have been waiting for my new SH .18 engine to come in and i broke it in. Does anybody know what the best settings are to run in this engine? thanks.
Most common is- fuel needle open 2-3 turns (depending on weather....) and carb around 1mm open.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:08 PM
redcatracing18

So are you sure the tsais exhaust would work with my tornado bb? Also what will i need to do to make it fit? Do i need to change anything?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:11 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: Nitro Ray

I have been into nitro RC since 2003, prior to that I was in electric racing since I was a kid. I have had buggys and trucks ranging from an old COX bandito to an HPI Savage X K4.6. I absolutley love this hobby, and never more than since I got into nitro. I recently sold off most of my Nitro stuff to finance a 52" Gas powered RC boat. I recently found a Redcat Shockwave on E-bay, New for an excellent price. I broke it in and started to adjust adjust it in. At first I was wondering if it would have decent top end with an SH .16. The buggy looks to be made very nice, and thank god I found Everett Motorsports for parts. I have ran about an 1/8th of a gallon through it since break in. You know...If I was to compare it to the Traxxas Rustler pro .15, I would say it could give the rustler a run for its money. Since I have been dialing in the engine, I was pretty impressed by its top end speed, expeccialy for the price. The first thing I would recommend though is to change the wheel oil lite bushings to Ball Bearings. This is a must, like I was saying I have only put an 1/8th of a gallon through and the bushings are already showing signs of wearing out, the wheels are getting a little bit sloppy, but again, ball bearings will take care of that. Next what you will want to do is figure out how to make a stiffner for the rear shock tower. I rolled the buggy in my yard a little bit hard and the shock towers bent downward. It was easy to straighten out. Don't worry, there is hope, plus enough room on the rear to secure a support block for it. I am going to work on one and will let you all know how it goes. Next, I did notice that the throttle linkage will interfere with the pull starter cord if the body is off. If you slightly bend the rod, it takes care of it. The other way around it is to go with the 70111 power starter. All in all, I am very happy with the buggy and there appears there are parts available, not through my local hobby store yet, but with some time and more people purchasing Redcat products, I think they will be well on their way to be up their with the big boys like HPI, Traxxas, Associated and Losi. On a side note.. I just put about $150.00 towards spare parts for the future and to upgrade the buggy to the two speed. I am also curious to see what it will take for this baby to beat out a traxxas Jato. Any thoughts or experience would be great.

I also was wondering if the buggy could take a traxxas 3.3 engine or an OS .18.

My overall 1st impression of Redcat products is great. I have not broke a thing on it, the engine went through the break in procedure excellent, and the engine is coming to life more and more. It is faster than I expected.
Been working on the top-speed "thing" for a while. Bigger engines are no problem a few are the os 18cv-rx, trx3.3, os 18tz-tx and finally the os .21tm. My next swap is to the .21tm. For gearing you can use the redcat lightning transmission(smaller gears) and either the hpi rs4 bell with 18t/23t gears or the losi lst bel with up to 20t/25t gears. With a trx3.3 the smaller tranny and 18t/23t bell gears I can pull 55mph easy(in a car). Haven't had a chance to try the bigger bell gears or the os 18tz-tx yet, but it should be pushing around 60mph.. Also you can pick up a little speed just by swapping to the Jato rear wheels and tires(bigger). Hope this helps......
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 PM
Hibityhupla!

So are you sure the tsais exhaust would work with my tornado bb? Also what will i need to do to make it fit? Do i need to change anything?
will work no problem. The only thing is you'll have to mount the wire holder to the rear shock tower. The body might not fit right without a little trimming but that's no biggy...
Old 03-31-2008, 11:16 PM
Hibityhupla!

i have a pic of a car with the tsais rear exhaust in my gallery listed under "smaretch w/nos and supercharger. Take a look and you can see how it fits..
Old 03-31-2008, 11:18 PM
redcatracing18

Hey hibityhupla what would i have to do to get the tsais exhaust to fit my tornado bb?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 PM
redcatracing18

oops sorry didnt mean to do that, lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
Hibityhupla!

Hey hibityhupla what would i have to do to get the tsais exhaust to fit my tornado bb?
Comes with everything you need bud...lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:21 PM
redcatracing18

Oh wow, it looks nice, i like it...well i need to find one like that but a lot cheaper, probly like....idk 40-45 dollars. You know anywhere i can find one like that for that price?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:23 PM
redcatracing18

Also any suggestions on what performance parts i should get for it?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:24 PM
Hibityhupla!

not sure...I'll do some looking. That's the only rear exhaust I've tried so far.. Not bad for only starting with nitro a year ago...lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
redcatracing18

yea, i agree. Thx alot for the help, i'll have to remember you for any other questions, u know alot for only a years experience
Old 03-31-2008, 11:25 PM
Hibityhupla!

Also any suggestions on what performance parts i should get for it?
What exactly are you looking for? I listed the speed things I knew of on the previous page.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:26 PM
Hibityhupla!

yea, i agree. Thx alot for the help, i'll have to remember you for any other questions, u know alot for only a years experience
I credit Ehroof with most of what I know. The rest was just trail and error...lol
Old 03-31-2008, 11:34 PM
redcatracing18

lol, u have learned alot, im just a beginner kinda, but i know the basics. Im mainly looking for things that will help my tornado be more reliable, and also i want a lil more power, and lil speed too. what do u suggest i do to meet that?
Old 03-31-2008, 11:53 PM
Hibityhupla!

lol, u have learned alot, im just a beginner kinda, but i know the basics. Im mainly looking for things that will help my tornado be more reliable, and also i want a lil more power, and lil speed too. what do u suggest i do to meet that?
Well the two speed tranny gears are always an issue unfortunatly.. More power and speed are most easily done with an engine swap. The os 18cv-rx is a great engine for the cost and is a lot better then stock. The os 18tz-tx has almost another .5hp but costs more(another $50) and you can't put a roto-start on it. The jato tires and wheels are a little bit bigger and will give you some top speed at the cost of some torque, but with the 18cv-rx you should still have plenty of power. I have waisted tons of money on aluminum parts on my bb and all it does it makes it heavier and more expensive to fix. I would just stick to the plastics. If it's going to break it doesn't matter what it's made of and some wrecks get "nasty". Might as well keep it affordable..lol After that it's all gearing. You can swap from the stock 42t/47t tranny to the lightning 39t/44t one, but once again the more top speed the less low end torque. And then there's clutch bells. If I'm not mistaken the bb comes with a 17t/22t bell. With the threaded rs4 bell you can up that to 18t/23t. If you want even more you need the threaded losi lst bell with either the rs4 19t gear and the r40 24t gear or the losi 25t gear and an ofna 20t gear for the rs4. The ofna gear I have been having some problems with. They have it listed wrong everywhere I've looked. The one listed for the rs4 is really for the 4tec and the one for the 4tec is listed for the rs4. It's been that way everwhere I looked anyway. I would stick to the 19t/24t combo at most for now. Once I figure out the part numbers I'll let you know for the bigger one..
Old 04-01-2008, 08:28 AM
redcatracing18

Alright cool thanks. This will probably be my main car for a long time, just because its a really good car overall. Yea it has its problems here and there, but some cars you will spend more time worrying about something breaking than having fun with it. I am for sure changing the clutch bell, etc and may get extras but yea, the os 18cv-rx will give higher top speed and also more power?
Old 04-01-2008, 01:30 PM
daveschutt

does anyone no what tires to use on tornado other then redcat tires

Idgasp--- the best tires to run on the tornado are the dirt hawgs...[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDU13&P=7]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDU13&P=7[/link]
Old 04-01-2008, 04:43 PM
redcatracing18

What is the cheapest thing i can do to my tornado bb to add a lil more hp? also, would i be able to put bigger wheels on my tornado to add a lil speed?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 AM
Hibityhupla!

Alright cool thanks. This will probably be my main car for a long time, just because its a really good car overall. Yea it has its problems here and there, but some cars you will spend more time worrying about something breaking than having fun with it. I am for sure changing the clutch bell, etc and may get extras but yea, the os 18cv-rx will give higher top speed and also more power?
The cv-rx will beat the stock engine on both. not by a whole lot on top speed. maybe 5mph. It's got a lot more "umph" though. lol
Old 04-02-2008, 10:07 AM
numskull223

I gotta quick ?, I hve Tornado BB, I've ranabout 10-11 tanks though it. I had to completely rebuild it after the first day of getting it, my bro crashed it at full speed. I replaced the chassis, gas tank shocks front wheels, front diff. has a alumin, custom buit stock tower, then I have a complete rear assemby, thats includes anothere diff, upper and lower arms hubs, and hexs.
Now I am going to seel it on ebay, with all this extra, How much should I ask for it. Thanks JEff
Old 04-02-2008, 01:19 PM
redcatracing18

http://www.redcatracing.com/itemdeta...?partno=02023S Is this a good clutch bell to replace the plastic one that comes stock with the tornado bb? If not leave me links to the best things to get for my tranny. Also i need to kno what to tune my engine to to get the top performance i can with it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.