Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 09:43 PM
dominicevans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

LOL Swamp I'll leave that for you..and what I said was all true and you know it or atleast I think you would be smart enough to figure that out...kb73 your going to have to get universal dogbones they don't fall out not sure about the bending. you would have to spend like $300 extra to get the $200 you payed for the car
Old 07-07-2008, 01:48 AM
Swamp3r

dominicevans your an idiot that is bashing redcat you have no idea *** your talking about and thats where I end this or I'll be banned. Yes I'm bashing him but he is bashing redcat and I take offence to it.Grow a brain......
Old 07-07-2008, 02:57 AM
Hibityhupla!

I would have to agree that redcat is not the greatest out there but it depends on what u do to it and how u treat it. I went through tons of gears but never really broke much else till I hit a curb at full speed or jumped a real car. But in all honesty what do you expect for the price? If you want something to match your buddies $400 car you need to get a $400 car. You want a redcat that's better then the 1/10 buggy you'll need a few more bucks and go with the hurricane. Thicker dogbones, metal gears and built to bash. I consider the 1/10 scale more of an entry level vehicle. The old saying " You get what you pay for " is very true......Just my opinion.....
Old 07-07-2008, 06:39 AM
stagga

^agreed!
im not complainin tho. i like tinkering with my car. i get half the joy from working on the car and making it better and seeing how it runs afterwards. If nothing ever broke on my car or if it ran perfectly every single time i would probably get bored of it and sell it or it would sit in my garage for months. I dunno bout u guys but its like xmas everytime i get a order of new parts

oh and bnick....too bad man. i was planning on ordering them next time. o well. i got the dirt hawg tires tho.....they feel kinda cheap to me. haven't put em on yet tho to see how they perform.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:48 AM
dominicevans

swamp guy your one funny camper....lol i dont know what I talking about lol is this all hurting you so badly because your like a dealer or something?
Old 07-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Hibityhupla!

I don't think anyone was really bashing redcat. just pointing out flaws. I've been through about 20 cars from all different brands and each one has had a design flaw. But when you think about the size and what you are doing with them they all do great in my opinion. When was the last time you jumped a real car 20ft or held it full throttle until you wrecked? Could you imagine your mechanic bill if you drove your real cars the way you drive your nitro's? That was the exact reason i got into rc's. You can do whatever you want, including improvements, wreck it at top speed and it might cost you $50 to fix. First time I took my Honda Del Sol out with nitrous hooked up i put a hole in one of my pistons the size of a quarter. So 5min. of fun cost me $1500. These things, you blow an engine your out max $200. That doesn't mean I'm going to bash Honda. It just means you learn a lesson. If you don't want to ruin stuff you can't push the limits. If you do you'll be ordering parts every time you drive. Works that way no matter what it is.
Old 07-07-2008, 03:08 PM
amf66

Have any of you guys seen this video of a rocket powered Tornado BB? If you haven't, here it is!!
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_7ckJ6ffYM[/link]
Old 07-07-2008, 08:17 PM
dominicevans

ORIGINAL: Hibityhupla!

I don't think anyone was really bashing redcat. just pointing out flaws. I've been through about 20 cars from all different brands and each one has had a design flaw. But when you think about the size and what you are doing with them they all do great in my opinion. When was the last time you jumped a real car 20ft or held it full throttle until you wrecked? Could you imagine your mechanic bill if you drove your real cars the way you drive your nitro's? That was the exact reason i got into rc's. You can do whatever you want, including improvements, wreck it at top speed and it might cost you $50 to fix. First time I took my Honda Del Sol out with nitrous hooked up i put a hole in one of my pistons the size of a quarter. So 5min. of fun cost me $1500. These things, you blow an engine your out max $200. That doesn't mean I'm going to bash Honda. It just means you learn a lesson. If you don't want to ruin stuff you can't push the limits. If you do you'll be ordering parts every time you drive. Works that way no matter what it is.
agreed these cars are amazing (most hobby grade) they are like 1/10 scale and go 45mph so they are like real cars that have 450mph and go serious low end power and are tough for there size and speed

oh and yea I saw that bb but the description in the video is wrong it should be nitro assisted rocket tornado bb[sm=teeth_smile.gif] lol
Old 07-10-2008, 01:33 AM
bnick

I read on the forum about the roto start electric starter. I saw a link that said this one would fit. Here is the link to the one I got. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXMVE0. Just so you know this does not fit the tornado not without heavy mods. The back plate is to big I had to drill holes in it to get it to work and the one way bearing was to small had to shim that but it works now 3 hours of hassel later. I did see on the redcat site they make a back plate for electric starters part number 11011H12. Here is the link to that page scroll down you will see it. http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c....ge=151,174,174 As soon as it is in stock I will get that. But wow does that electric start turn the car over so fast works way better than the pull start would recomend anyone to get this.

On a side not one of my screws to the engine mounts broke am I ok to run it on 3 screws untill I get my new mounts. I have lock tite on the three remaining screws.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:53 AM
mileslong

as for your roto plate it would be much simpler to just go to your lhs and get an hpi, they fit like a glove. The three screws should not effect you to bad for I'm sure all of us have had the same problem, just make sure to check it from time to time. hope this helped
Old 07-10-2008, 10:15 AM
tklemin

I use a Sullivan tigerdrive. It is pointed up so it clears all the suspension very easy. It is a direct fit on the team infinity .18 engine. [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFK1[/link] You will also need the drive wand for it.[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFK4[/link]
Here is a link to all the conversion/cross reference page for engines.[link]http://www.sullivanproducts.com/TigerDriveXrefmainframe.htm[/link]
Just remember to spin the engine counter clockwise and faster is not better.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45544.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	987374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn40902.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	987375  
Old 07-10-2008, 02:44 PM
Hibityhupla!

ORIGINAL: tklemin

I use a Sullivan tigerdrive. It is pointed up so it clears all the suspension very easy. It is a direct fit on the team infinity .18 engine. [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFK1[/link] You will also need the drive wand for it.[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGFK4[/link]
Here is a link to all the conversion/cross reference page for engines.[link]http://www.sullivanproducts.com/TigerDriveXrefmainframe.htm[/link]
Just remember to spin the engine counter clockwise and faster is not better.
faster is better when the engine is poorly tuned. That is most peoples problem with the pull start. If the engine is tuned bad it could take a while to start with the pull start, but with a roto start you can force a badly tuned engine to start fairly easily.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 AM
bnick

I never had an issue with the pull start till it just fell off. I also found that since I got rid of the pull start the throttle responds 100% better as the pull start is not blocking the servo arm. I would recomend to anyone to get rid of the pull start just for the throttle response alone.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 AM
bnick

What is the difference between the wand for the tiger drive and the roto start will the new wand fit on the roto start or do I need a whole new system
Old 07-13-2008, 02:08 PM
tklemin

Tgerdrive is 7/32 allen. A rotostart wand will fit in the tigerdrive holder. Its hard to see, but the tigerdrive wand has set screws ont the right side and at each end to hold the wand and the drive end. You have to cut an allen key down to fit in drive end.Rotostart has a "TEE" shaped end. Just for your info a Losi spin start comes with a 6mm allen I think. If you use a rotostart or losi spinstart, You may have to either switch wires around on motor, or wire a battery backwards to spin in the correct direction. I use a Losi spinstart and switched the leads on a battery to spin the rotostart in one direction and another battery to use on my tigerdrive for my Tornado. Just make sure you write on it or mark it correctly for charging purposes and don't drop it in your electric vehicles. You can put whatever ends you want on either end of the tigerdrive adapter. Remember motors spin counter clockwise looking from the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87612.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	8.6 KB
ID:	989877   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz76925.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	989878   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk27628.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	989879   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45869.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	989880  
Old 07-13-2008, 04:22 PM
bnick

Sorry if this sounds stupid but will the tiger drive wand fit into the rotostart motor unit.
Old 07-13-2008, 04:55 PM
raiderz98

k i have a tornado bb, it has a vx 18 engine on it and i need to know where i can buy a new glow plug for it. so can anybody let me know where i can buy one?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Swamp3r

pretty much any lhs or allaboutfun,vancouverhobbies, clermontmotorsports(I think thats what it's called) towerhobbies theres tons of places but I trust these ones. But try locally to find a lhs.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:43 PM
raiderz98

k thanks but are they all the same size or do i have to look for a specific size or wat?
Old 07-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Swamp3r

mcoy 59 will work(mc59)
Old 07-13-2008, 05:58 PM
raiderz98

k i found some on vancouver hobbies but now im confused. what do they mean by hot, medium, and cold glow plugs??
Old 07-13-2008, 07:27 PM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Hot glow plugs burn hotter = engine runs hotter
Medium glow plugs burn cooler = cooler engine temps, could lean out alittle more. Most of the redcats run good on medium plugs.
Col glow plug burns even cooler = cool engine temps, work good with higher nitro fuel, like 30% or 33%

You want Medium plug for your small block redcats
May want hot plug for your big block engines, more fuel flowing into engine needs higher temp glow plug to burn properly.
Old 07-13-2008, 08:18 PM
numskull223

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

Hot glow plugs burn hotter = engine runs hotter
Medium glow plugs burn cooler = cooler engine temps, could lean out alittle more. Most of the redcats run good on medium plugs.
Col glow plug burns even cooler = cool engine temps, work good with higher nitro fuel, like 30% or 33%

You want Medium plug for your small block redcats
May want hot plug for your big block engines, more fuel flowing into engine needs higher temp glow plug to burn properly.

Is a .18 a small block?
Old 07-13-2008, 08:43 PM
dominicevans

yes
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 PM
raiderz98

would this glow plug fit on my vx.18 engine on my tonando bb??
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTAG5&P=7

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.