Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 12 of 147 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

redcat is still making the hurricane xp just not the tornado xp, the tornado xp is the same as the xl ($99) buggy except the 2 speed transmission and thats the same as the tsunami and lightning.
    125 characters and 2 lines is not enough to list my RC obsession!!!

ORIGINAL: AllAboutFunHobbies

The hurricane XP has been discontinued from Redcat, but about ten other companies are building the car, there's no shortage of parts, unless your stuck buying from Redcat exclusivly and don't know that it's the same car as the Earthquake [sm=wink_smile.gif]. You can get sulfuric acid from a hardware store, it comes in a plastic container to put in a battery for a riding lawnmower. Anodizing is pretty simple but be sure to do it in an area where there is good ventalation, it stinks to high heaven [sm=52_52.gif]
    Lol, oops, it's the Hurricane XL that they don't have anymore. My bad, I was sitting there looking right at the website too. What Eroof said, lol
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

so has anyone actually tried home anodizing? i read that a car battery caharger, sulfuric acid, aluminum wire, rit dye and aluminum foil is all that is needed. also it said it doesnt work well on castings only on raw stock and machined aluminum i want do my tornado xp block it looks like it may have been cast then milled has anyone tried it on a block?
    mate, eat, bash nitro, repeat

Cast aluminum works but it looks kind of funky because of the way it's heated to be melted and then cast. I've done anodizing a few times, it's as simple as what you said, but you have to be cautious and wear RUBBER GLOVES, not the ones for medical use, the thick ones you use for solvents and stuff. When you do anodize ya have to get the anodized coating off the aluminum or else the anodizing won't take.
    Dealer for..Redcat, Traxxas, Associated, Cen, Racers Edge, RD Logic, Losi, HPI, E-flight, Himoto, Venom, Heli-Max, O.S...etc

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i've read about caustic solutions for cleaning and prep. i also read that oven cleaner is good for stripping old anodizing. does this mean that oven cleaner will also work for prepping? also should i try to keep the process out of the cylinder?

Well the problem is that when you do the anodizing there is no way to prevent it from getting on the inside, for sure, I would say it shouldn't hurt the inside, because anodizing is realy just strengthening the aluminum with a hard shell.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

where did you get the sulfuric acid? i have been searching online all day and have had very little luck.

It's just battery acid, you can get it from a Automotive store just about anywhere, try Pepboys or Autozone.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

but isn't that only 25% i was lead to believe that a 60% mixture is needed

ya but it works for home anodizing, the only other way your going to get 60% Sulfuric acid is from a chemical company.

http://www.sciencestuff.com/prod/Chem-Rgnts/C2802

http://www.schollechemical.com/

http://astro.neutral.org/sulfuric_acid_chemical.shtml

Try those.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

tried my first test run for anodizing on my old tornado xp exhaust manifold. tried it twice first for 15 mins. then used caustic to remove what i had done and tried again for 35 mins. and the results are.........turned black both times and wouldn't take the dye(rit purple) have any idea why i want? to get this right . used 6 amps with acid straight from a battery

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

got it figured out!! expect pics of my home anodized xp soon

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

quick ? I was running my BB and it stopped, i noticed one back wheel locked. Now when you start it its a pain and the wheels don't turn at the RPM as before, but the motor RPM does. I checked the clutch spring and it is fine.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just bought a new Tornado BB and having problems with the break in. The first 2 tanks of fuel seemed to work just fine. However, after that I cannot get the engine to idle down slow enough to stop the wheels from turning. It starts just fine, but I am now afraid to let it loose since I am worried I will not be able to stop it. The 3 different adjusting screws don't seem to have much effect. I have tried every combination I can think of. It seems like the idle screw doesn't seem to do anything much at all. It is also blowing a lot of oil out the exhaust. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated, I'm a novice trying to learn. Thanks in advance.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

it sounds like your clutch spring is broken, will it start on the ground? if so does it have to be at a high idle or it will stall? if so change it with a traxxas 4146x

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well I just tried it again and it was revving very fast. It did start on the ground and when I held it on the ground the wheels kept doing a burnout, it didn't stall. What about the oil from the exhaust, is that just normal during breakin. If it is the spring I hope it isn't too big of a job. What would have caused that so soon. I know it hit a snow when running, did getting it a little wet cause problems? Thanks, again

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

oil out of the exhaust is normal during break in, its running rich (alot of fuel). Turn the trim down on the transmitter, its the small knob that usually has tr on it for throttle and st on the other for steering, you want to turn down the throttle one and see if this helps you out and lets you lower the idle, i see you said the idle screw is not adjusting the idle speed so try this.

I modified some stuff on my TORNADO that i think people should see. Its resolves any gear stripping. and im still on my original set of clutch shoes and springs! So the pics you are seeing are of the entire Hurricane tranny and clutch bell put onto my tornado. The ratio is pretty much track use only as it is very low end only. This is great for me becasue i only run on a track. And my local track there is one straight and its small. I also used the hurricane front shocks for my rear shocks on my tornado. I still have my POS original plastic shocks for my fronts, but they are still holding up i suppose. If you get some ideas from my pics.. KEEP IN MIND THIS IS NOT A DIRECT FIT. I had to drill new holes and cut some of the upper plate up and also drill new holes on the upper plate to move the fuel tank because its original spot got taken up a little by the hurricane tranny. All in all, i love it and its big brother, the Hurricane.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ki19356.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	660628   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mh19393.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	660629   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ch96528.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	660630   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dx67048.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	660631   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yj64282.jpg 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	660632  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ar10518.jpg 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	660633   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ux44454.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	660634   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zy82527.jpg 
Size:	59.7 KB 
ID:	660635  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

nice job fitting all that in there, glad to hear it worked out for you and its a good idea, we found a simple change of the clutch bell is a big help from the out of round aluminum ones that they come with.

I agree, but even then your changing those shiesty plastic spurs like every month. So i went all out. and I LOVE the hurricane shocks so i had to do something with my extras.

i like my new low end set up perfect for jumps and lots of turns on a track

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

post the parts you need to do the change and the part numbers and some pictures of the bottom.

PART NUMBERS AND PICS OF MY HURRICANE-INTO-TORNADO Tranny Mod.

PARTS
    -Steel Clutchbell Partno: 81039
    -Center Diff. Mount Partno: 81050
    -Center Differential Plate Partno: 81001
    -Center Differential Outdrives Partno: 81017
    -Differential Case Partno: 81016
    -Spur Gear Partno: 81019
    -Differential Pinion Partno: 81025
    -Differential Ring Gear Partno: 81026

I believe all of those items compile the whole tranny when you put em together... IM not POSITIVE only because i simply had two hurricanes, and one i use strictly for parts, so i had a extra complete tranny. And when i say tranny people, i mean the center differential. There may be more you have to buy to complete the tranny like bearings and stuff, maybe a diff. shaft or something.. OK so the bottom of my car is pretty HOLE-y. This is a risky project because you take the chance of not getting the drilling done prefectly and its so close to the differential hole on the bottom of the chassis. To be honest i didnt even measure mine out one bit. I dont even own a measureing tape. HAHAH but here it is.

PS the zip tie is to hold my gas tank down on one side. I AM THE BEST AT RIGGING STUFF THAT WASNT MEAN TO BE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pn36840.jpg 
Size:	57.6 KB 
ID:	661496   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wr55687.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	661497   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xd80798.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	48.4 KB 
ID:	661498   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lf93850.jpg 
Size:	71.1 KB 
ID:	661499  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

what does zipties on the heat sink do
    tornado xp

i imagine they might melt after a bit. Or get real hard from heating and cooling down and snap?