Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 03:56 PM
419screaminrieman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ok i have a question. i recently ran across shims that are to be used in the vertex .18 engine. i was just wondering what would be the benefit of having them seeing as how my engine doesnt use any. thanks.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:22 PM
harley75

Question on the hpi gears and clutch bell i got these gears the guy sold me one is a 18 the other is a 22 now will i be able to use these or do i got to get 17 to run with the 22.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:23 PM
BigDave09

i cant get my sh.18 to work new glow plugs and im useing traxxas top fuel
Old 05-17-2009, 01:40 PM
harley75

ORIGINAL: BigDave09

i cant get my sh.18 to work new glow plugs and im useing traxxas top fuel
check glow plug sometimes you can buy them bad now turn high needle out 2-1/2 turns from close and set lsn flush with coller also check for air leaks i had one that wouldn't start i beat my brains out here it was the o-ring around the gas tank lid
Old 05-17-2009, 01:42 PM
BigDave09

the glow plug is good i put it to my ignitor and it glows orange and the tank is sealed
Old 05-17-2009, 01:59 PM
BigDave09

when i get the gas 2 go 2 the engine air bubbles are in it does that cause it not 2 start and could it be the seal
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
clontz_wi64

well i'm back on the 3.3 traxxas project again........ here it is so far....i just need

header, muffler, 3.3 carb

i'm having to order the 3.3 clutch and using my stock 2 speed bell but i half to grind the bell down so it wont touch the 3.3's flywheel and hoping the diamater of the 3.3 clutch will fit inside the stock bell gear

i know the bell gear looks crooked its just sitting on ther!!!! its not on yet, still waiting on the cluch shoes

i will half to drill new slots closer for the motor mounts....

the stock mounts just needed a little clearing to fit on the motor....

i have upgraded with jato shocks and new black body, new wing, high torque and faster servos i think 7.7kg's but i forget the 60 degree turn times but the are faster than stock ones, new fuel/air filters, gas tank..... everything is new pretty much, along with clutch on 2 speed and brake disc

it should be done this month and the motor looks sicccck...... hoping to get this 2 speeded 3.3 tornado done and videoed

i will be running 25% nitro for a little more kick and still be dependable.

let me know what ya think

enjoy pics

Old 06-11-2009, 02:02 PM
sailman7999

I have another question;  for some reason when I turn the car it can turn to the left normally but it turns to the right slow and sometimes skips. The radio is fine and so are all the connections. I have no idea what could of caused this, can you please help?
Old 07-02-2009, 05:13 PM
jsalam

my redcat tornado is messing up and i need some help the steering servo's was acting up and i bought a new one and now when i was driving the wheel turned and kept it there untill i either turn the controller or the batteries off and when i turn it back it turns by it self and i can control the throttle but it wont move when i try to control it if you now what this problem is could you please help is it contoller,steering servo, transmitter, or somthing else thanks
Old 07-03-2009, 01:49 AM
nubzorz

ORIGINAL: holliwud

redcatz needz 2 start makin som metal gears for this tornado, they making a killin off me buying spare gears. i think these plastic gearz are ca ca do do. i want to try buying different gears but metal gears r so expensive, i don't wanna go buyin dem so recklessly.HOW R YA'LL DEALIN WIT DA GEARS? N YES I DO HAVE DA NEW CLUTCH BELL SET UP
i own 3 redcats never striped a spur gear so... i think its a user error mesh your gears properly
Old 07-03-2009, 01:51 AM
nubzorz

is the trim working on the radio? well you could try taking the servo horn off and positioning it in a different spot on the server so that when you turn the truck on the wheels stay straight
Old 07-03-2009, 11:31 AM
jsalam

i did take it off a reajust it it still turns completly
Old 07-05-2009, 02:59 AM
nubzorz

where can i find a chrome header for the tornado?
Old 07-05-2009, 09:12 AM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

does anyone know of a good pipe that will give my tornado some more power
Old 07-05-2009, 05:03 PM
chevyderek72

I like the redcat pipe, gives come good low end.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM
Undetermined

ORIGINAL: HimotoRacingUSA

you need the needle bearing, 3 - 5x8x2.5 bushings or bearing and a 5/16 tension pin cut so you can extend the clutch nut, do this modification because its definately worth how much better it is.
I am only 16 pages into this, and Ihave a pretty good size order to upgrade my clutch bell and the bearings. I can not locate the 5/16 Tension Pin for the clutch nut. Any help, or am I just missing something?
Old 07-07-2009, 12:15 AM
Undetermined

Transmission Help... I have been running my Tornado BB pretty hard in the West Texas Dust. I clean it after every run, each run being about 4-6 tanks. I bent the dogbone on the front right, bent it back and it looks ok know. But I had some clanking noises coming from it so I kept looking. The gears in the Transmission are a wobbling. I am fixing to tear into it, but would like to know if they are suppose to have play. Seems like that is wear the weird noises are coming from.

Thanks in Advance

Old 07-07-2009, 12:19 AM
neyou86

ur bearing could be bad
Old 07-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Undetermined

I took it apart, and I looked it over. Seems as though 1 tooth is chippped on the 2nd gear, but all looks good. Bearings spin good, etc. But it may be my imagination or the fact that is almost 2 AM and I have been tinkering with this since 8PM, but it seems as though thr transmission might be too tight now. It spins, but it does not seen to spin as freely as it did when I bought it. Should the gears be pretty tight against the housing?

Thanks for the response, I thought this thread might be dead.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:01 AM
neyou86

yea, this thread is kinda dead but i got it set so that i get emails if someone replies on here. your bearings might be full of sand. the gears should no thouch the housing. they should spin freely but with a little bit of a drag.(if that makes sense.) if u spin the gear fast and it stops almost instantly there is something binding. if u spin it and it goes around a couple times ur good. i dont know if this makes sense to you or not. if it doesnt let me know ill try to explain it better
Old 07-07-2009, 10:46 AM
Undetermined

It does make sense. I will disassemble it tonight and check it over again. I am trying to make sure everything is good. I just did not think the noises sounded right and the gears were a little wobbly. We'll see what happens.Thanks, hope this thread don't die, I will be on it quite a bit.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:00 AM
neyou86

is it like a grinding noise? like sand in a bearing
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
aldwardo
My Feedback: (1)

Might check how tightly your drive cups are pushed on too. If they are pressed right up against the housing it creates friction.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:30 PM
Undetermined

Alright, I am losing hope and so is my friend.

I have the Tornado BB. It has the SH18 and standard parts right now. I did the break in, and the engine locked in the up position on the 2nd tank. I had to disassemble and fix it. I maintained a 200-210 temp for the 3rd and 4th tanks and ran 1/2-full throttle on the 5th. It locked again. I fixed it and ran it about 4 more tanks in about 3 hours, checking the heat and doing some 3-4 inch jumps. It locked again, and Ifixed it. So I ran some more for about 2 days off and on making sure the cylinder was on bottom at the end of each run. Few bigger jumps, say 12-14 inches and I guess Icame down weird and bent a dogbone, easy fix. However, there were some noises coming from it. I took it apart cleaning as Iwent, and I noticed the Clutch Bell and Transmission was the source of the clanking. I pulled the transmission and looked it over, got it together and it was running. The High Gear moved side to side slightly and looks out of balance when spinning. Far as Ican tell, the off center of the high gear is my clanking. So Iwas trying to tune it again, no clanking, and I seriously can not get it to run full throttle with smoke and no sputtering. I have a good smoke stream at 3/4 throttle and it sputters at full throttle. Oh yea, Cylinder is stuck at top again.

I really want to like this, and Ihave waiting a long time to purchase a nitro rc. Everybody talks about how great the Tornado is.
1. Why does it keep locking up?
2. Why is it sputtering(LSN, HSN?)
3. My friend has lost 2 transmissions on his Landslide and only owned it for 1 week. It is sheering the 2nd Speed Gear.

I know this was kind of long, but I figured the series of events might help piece things together. Did I mention the guy we purchased them from is a Redcat dealer, but these have obviously been on the shelf for a while. I guess he got slow and took a job in the oilfield and now that it is slowing down in theoilfieldhe picked up his hobby shop again. I have ordered the 13/18 clutch bell and 17/22, as well as bigger air filters and a tuned exhaust with new headers. Sucks that I have over $300 in this and less than 10 tanks of fun.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
neyou86

my rear diff is starting to get loose and it sounds like there is sand in there. i was wondering if i can repack it with bearing grease for a real car. also is there anything i should look out for and be careful with?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.