Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 07:11 PM
runner1514

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

No problem , I have the stock SH .18 in mine and it screams. It runs better than my HPI G3.0 which is also a .18. I run low profile street tires on mine but second gear still sucked. It's cool to hear it shift but after that wears off you'll need a runway to let it run out. Running around the neighborhood the single speed works better for me.
Thanks for the advice again. Do you have any idea about the clutch question that I was discussing with ShredderGuy? If the 2 speed transmission comes with the clutch already?
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM
FrostByte25

Theres a chance your RX does have a built in fail-safe....my tornado s30 does...Heres a link to the video to tell you if you do or don't and how to set it if you do.

To find out if you have a fail-safe built in watch this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juRAZ...layer_embedded

And if you do this is how you set it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cAN7...layer_embedded

FrostY
Old 01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Dads like rc too

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well after two and a half months my Tornado s30 is finally down.  First real breakdown.  Flipped it pretty hard downhill at the park and shifted the motor which resulted in spur lunch and a really bent front dogbone.  Can't really complain, it's handled way too many street cartwheels without breaking anything.  I'm not too mad about it, gave me an excuse to order the Volcano tranny.  I also ordered the Volcano axles and double hubs to attempt to widen my wheelbase a bit.  I'm hoping the higher gearing will allow me to run larger stadium truck size dirt tires "not huge monster truck tires".  When I tried the new tire size out it handled the rough stuff a lot better than the smaller diameter buggy tires, just the gearing was way too high.  Once I get it all back together I'll let you know how it worked out.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
godssoldier

Just recently picked up a tornado s30. I havent had any issues with it until now. I was running it the other day and all of a sudden it just stopped. The motor would continue to rev but it wouldnt go anywhere. I brought it inside and looked everything over and couldnt seem to find any problems. All the dogsbones seem to be in good condition and the drive cups are tight. Took it back outside and it worked for about 10 minutes then did the same thing. With the car and reciever on it seems to be binding up when I attempt to roll it across the floor. AlsoI have a light on on my radio that I dont remember being on before. Its on the far right. It says LED underneath it and has a place next to it that says F/S SET BIND. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete newb to these cars and just looking for answers. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:33 PM
FrostByte25

ORIGINAL: godssoldier

Just recently picked up a tornado s30. I havent had any issues with it until now. I was running it the other day and all of a sudden it just stopped. The motor would continue to rev but it wouldnt go anywhere. I brought it inside and looked everything over and couldnt seem to find any problems. All the dogsbones seem to be in good condition and the drive cups are tight. Took it back outside and it worked for about 10 minutes then did the same thing. With the car and reciever on it seems to be binding up when I attempt to roll it across the floor. AlsoI have a light on on my radio that I dont remember being on before. Its on the far right. It says LED underneath it and has a place next to it that says F/S SET BIND. Any info would be greatly appreciated. I am a complete newb to these cars and just looking for answers. Thanks in advance.

Might want to check batteries in TX...the light on the right is your battery level...you want it green... If you RX looses signal with your TX (low batts) your fail safe might be kicking in and applying the brake which makes it un rollable on the floor

FrostY

Old 01-15-2012, 01:54 PM
godssoldier

so the LED on the far right of the tx is battery level? Wow didnt think I would drain those duracells that quick. Also its not completely locked up on the floor just acting like it is binding. . .
Old 01-15-2012, 03:51 PM
godssoldier

UPDATE** Just replaced the batteries and the LED on the radio didnt go off or change colors. Still on and red. I double checked the drive cups again for tightness and they are good. Im really lost with this one. It kinda looks like the break might be engaging at a certain point.. Loosen it up a little? Just want to get this thing drivable again before I start doing upgrades. Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 06:04 AM
godssoldier

well I took it out this morning to see if things got any better. Got her running. When I went to hit the throttle it would barely roll... Clutch? Just dont know what else to try...
Old 01-16-2012, 06:52 PM
SubaruSTiFTW

OTHER engines that'll fit besides teh VX or SH. Would the HPI T3 work ORRRRR how about changing to an SH .21..I dont want to hear abotu how many parts im going to strip. IDC.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:12 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: SubaruSTiFTW

OTHER engines that'll fit besides teh VX or SH. Would the HPI T3 work ORRRRR how about changing to an SH .21..I dont want to hear abotu how many parts im going to strip. IDC.
OS cv-rx, will bolt right up and scream!
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM
Dads like rc too

ok so my Tornado Tranny conversion is finished. I was attempting to replace the two speed with a single and lower the gearing for larger tires. I wanted to put the Shockwave tranny in it and keep it simple with more of a direct drive style diff instead of using the Volcano tranny with all the gears. I checked with Redcat and they offer no larger Spur gears for the Shockwave and could not advise me on other spur's that would fit. This was kind of hard to beleive!

So anyway I wound up with a Volcano tranny and started out with a standard HPI 15 tooth clutch bell. Just thought I'd let you know this is not a simple tranny swap out. For people who like to tinker it's not the hardest mod you'll ever do but I thought it would more or less just drop in. Well the tranny does just drop in but first off when you buy the tranny you'll need the Volcano brake cam as it's taller than the Tornado. I thought I could just swap the brake cam over. Then the cam is in a different position so your brake rod from your servo will not line up and you will need to modify your brake cam lever rod. The new position of the brake rod will mean removing the handle that was on top of the tranny. The fuel lines are dangerously close to the new steel tranny gears. A few zip ties and extra loops in the fuel lines to avoid 90 degree bends will take care of this. I think that was pretty much all of it. I also added the longer Volcano axle stubs and double hex's to try and get the wheelbase just a little wider. The clutch bell needs to be at least an 18 or 19 tooth. Right now with 2.8 buggy tires on it it probably just breaks the mid 20's. If I can get it into the low 30's with the extra ground clearance and higher torque I'll be happy. Here's a before and after pic.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn38040.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	1718565   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77789.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1718566  
Old 01-31-2012, 10:35 AM
stxhornfan

Recently purchased my first RC car  for my son and my self.  Question is, during break in period I noticed my car "pulled" to one side as i was driving.  later when cleaning it I noticed that when I turn the rear wheels only one front wheel turned.  Causes, soultions? Thanks

Old 02-18-2012, 01:02 AM
wildbill1981

hello all got a couple questions about my tornado BB i drive it on the street for the most part so i like the 2 speed but what is the best cheapest engine upgrade?i have the s30..and from what car? also should i get alum clucth and stuff to make it last longer im new to this had it for about 6 months get to play around couple times a month.....also the original rims are junk that come with the tornado, one ofmy front rims broke the center out when it did a flip at slow speed..lol..and the rear one from doing donuts and stuff.is there a link someone could put on here for some good stronger rims and i would like to put street tires on it also... sometimes when im driving it it runs awesome and ill go in the dirt and do a bunch of donuts and it boggs down sometimes is it getting to hot, it did have a hard timestartingawhile back when i first got it it wouldnt shift into second gear for awhile then i let it sit for 2 months and it shifts fine now i did the proper break in...and a buddy helped me tune it a little..the idle is great im just worried about the other screw i turned it down all the way then brought it out 2 and a half turns and it wouldnt run so i just kept turning it until it ran set my idle....should it have a little blow by fuel coming out the ex. it seems to run better when i turned it up to where it just started getting blow by... original setup it was pouring out the ex and eventully stopped running after about a gallon of fuel through out the times i ran it..so i re did the set-up any ways sorry for the long post but im looking for some solid rims for the front and back and street tires, nice solid ones...unless someone knows of a better rim style the ones at redcat look like they would break easy too. any cheap upgrades u could help out with would be great thanx in advance...alo i have a traxxas car minus motor and sterring servo is there anything i can use on mine from it like front end parts to make a wider wheel base? or even the tranny? thanx again guys
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Scooter B

Sounds like on of your front drive shafts is missing (dogbone) one of mine fell out on my first run. easy to replace, then make sure everything is good and tight when you re assemble the hub assembly.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 PM
Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: wildbill1981

hello all got a couple questions about my tornado BB i drive it on the street for the most part so i like the 2 speed but what is the best cheapest engine upgrade?i have the s30..and from what car? also should i get alum clucth and stuff to make it last longer im new to this had it for about 6 months get to play around couple times a month.....also the original rims are junk that come with the tornado, one ofmy front rims broke the center out when it did a flip at slow speed..lol..and the rear one from doing donuts and stuff.is there a link someone could put on here for some good stronger rims and i would like to put street tires on it also... sometimes when im driving it it runs awesome and ill go in the dirt and do a bunch of donuts and it boggs down sometimes is it getting to hot, it did have a hard timestartingawhile back when i first got it it wouldnt shift into second gear for awhile then i let it sit for 2 months and it shifts fine now i did the proper break in...and a buddy helped me tune it a little..the idle is great im just worried about the other screw i turned it down all the way then brought it out 2 and a half turns and it wouldnt run so i just kept turning it until it ran set my idle....should it have a little blow by fuel coming out the ex. it seems to run better when i turned it up to where it just started getting blow by... original setup it was pouring out the ex and eventully stopped running after about a gallon of fuel through out the times i ran it..so i re did the set-up any ways sorry for the long post but im looking for some solid rims for the front and back and street tires, nice solid ones...unless someone knows of a better rim style the ones at redcat look like they would break easy too. any cheap upgrades u could help out with would be great thanx in advance...alo i have a traxxas car minus motor and sterring servo is there anything i can use on mine from it like front end parts to make a wider wheel base? or even the tranny? thanx again guys
As far as engines go I would probably stick with what you have. You could swap it out with an O.S. .18 which will have a lot more power but that engine is near $150. I don't know if it would be worth puting that much cash into your Tornado. Go ahead and tweak on it and make small modifications but to drop that much on another engine, I might consider getting another car/truck.

Yes you should see a minimal amount of fuel coming from the exhaust depending on your temp. When it came from the factory the HSN was backed out and set very rich to break in the engine. Now that you've tuned it and turned it in a little, the fuel from the exhaust will be much less if you even see it at all. Just make sure your getting good smoke still. Try to run between 230-240 degrees. If you don't have a temp gun, put a drop of spit on the head. If it sizzles or pops, your way too hot. If it evaperates in less than 3 seconds your still on the hot side. It should evaperate in 3-5 seconds.

Heres a pic of when I used to run street tires on my Tornado before I yanked the two speed out of it. I'm not sure of the model number but I bought HPI rims. They fit great, had a good offset and were rock solid. They were only about $6 a pair. I had Proline Speed Hawgs mounted on them. Believe it or not, as smoothe as they look they actually had decent grip in the grass and dirt.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63593.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1739614  
Old 04-01-2012, 08:57 PM
wildbill1981

i have a tonado s30 and would like to make the wheel base wider is there longer a-arms i could buy or something,,,,also im really only wanting to beable to put wider tires on the front but when i try to put wider rims on it it rubbs the steering arm
Old 04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
wildbill1981

ORIGINAL: Dads like rc too

ORIGINAL: wildbill1981

As far as engines go I would probably stick with what you have. You could swap it out with an O.S. .18 which will have a lot more power but that engine is near $150. I don't know if it would be worth puting that much cash into your Tornado. Go ahead and tweak on it and make small modifications but to drop that much on another engine, I might consider getting another car/truck.

Yes you should see a minimal amount of fuel coming from the exhaust depending on your temp. When it came from the factory the HSN was backed out and set very rich to break in the engine. Now that you've tuned it and turned it in a little, the fuel from the exhaust will be much less if you even see it at all. Just make sure your getting good smoke still. Try to run between 230-240 degrees. If you don't have a temp gun, put a drop of spit on the head. If it sizzles or pops, your way too hot. If it evaperates in less than 3 seconds your still on the hot side. It should evaperate in 3-5 seconds.

Heres a pic of when I used to run street tires on my Tornado before I yanked the two speed out of it. I'm not sure of the model number but I bought HPI rims. They fit great, had a good offset and were rock solid. They were only about $6 a pair. I had Proline Speed Hawgs mounted on them. Believe it or not, as smoothe as they look they actually had decent grip in the grass and dirt.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:05 AM
zither911

Hi all,i've stripped the grub screw in my brake cam, bought a new one.How do i replace the brake cam, is this an easy job?
Old 01-26-2013, 04:16 PM
bpoch73

I've just gotten the Brushless Tornado exp pro and have had nothing but problems with this thing. I'm new to the hobby.

1st - when Igot it and running with the included 2000mah battery, the thing would stutter when giving throttle, Ihad to ease into it to get it to go, and then the battery would only last like 3 minutes before cutting out. I picked up a 5000mah battery and while waiting for it to come in the mail, Ifound how to program the ESC. So Ikilled the low voltage cut off. With the new battery I got longer running times but the stutter at start is still there. If I hold the car in the air, there is not really any stutter. When the car is not on the street and in the grass, it just stutters and won't accelorate. So I was going to try and tone down the punch, but when going through the programming of the ESC it only has 4 options and from what I've found it should have 8 or 9 options to change. Also from what I've read it should come with a EZRUN 35A but on the ESC the label is EZRUN-S10.

And to top it off, and what I'm hoping is the stutter problem, the capacitors attached to the ESC starting smoking when Ihad a battery attached.

I've orderded new capacitors and the LED program tool for the ESC.

I really don't want to give up on this thing and I hope Ican get some feedback as to what Ishould look at, or what could be the problem. Do you think the ESC is bad, or it has the wrong on in it? I can get an EZRUN-35A online for $40 bucks, and for me tha was my next steep if the programmer and new capacitors don't fix the problem.
Old 01-28-2013, 10:27 AM
arless

Dude I have a dynamite mach .26 big block engine in my 10Th scale tornado buggy, with stock gears! and I used the small block clutch bell with a mach .26 3 shoe clutch.  I think a lot of gear and clutch bell problems are gear mesh related issues. The stock parts in my Tornado are fine, I am not disputing you gear issues, but I do think it could be some sort of problem other than the metal gears?? I wish I had a better answer for you,  "I hope this helps" A number of people have built this conversion before me, and have had absolutly no issues with stock parts. I did my home work before I laid out the cash for this home made conversion.
All the best!
Old 01-28-2013, 10:31 AM
arless

I may have miss understood your post, were you revering to electric motor tornado buggy's? if so I am sorry for my misunderstood post "disregard the post please"
Old 12-18-2017, 08:09 AM
ks9818

Default New Tornado EPX PRO

Just got one of these, anybody still have these or did everyone switch to Trucks ?
Old 12-18-2017, 11:20 PM
champyy

I ordered the tornado s30 yesterday. So I'd like to know the same. What are upgrades I need to do?