Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 05:38 PM
d3d5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

on my tornado bb it seems like the gas tank it filling up eith dirt even if i'm running onm cemment dou guys have this problem
Old 09-24-2007, 05:40 PM
d3d5

and forgot to say my throttle servo sucks so whats a good cheap 1 for it?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:18 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the tank lid is closed then there is no way dirt can really get in unless when your refueling or you have dirty fuel(lol) a regular futaba 3003 is good enough for the throttle, they go for like $10
Old 09-24-2007, 06:54 PM
d3d5

new problem i threw in the throttle servo from my othre truck in there for now. when i was going full speed all the linkage flew off the truck and i couldn't find it. some how i stopped the truck with out braking anything though
Old 09-24-2007, 07:59 PM
daveschutt

oops.here....

OK this is a project I decided to try out after seeing an auction on ebay for a sleeve resize. The auction said that the sleeve was the one that wore out instead of the piston, and the only thing that the engine needed to work again was a sleeve resize.
I kept thinking about this a decided to resize my worn out sleeve, it worked excellent for me so I decided to sell the idea. I suggest you try it with one that you are not using just in case it doesn't come out right for you the first time. ((This will only work with normal wear out piston and sleeve, not scratched)))
Here is what you'll need:

*Hose clamp -- from your local auto parts dealer about. 50¢

*The corresponding tool to tight the clamp.

*The sleeve to be resized (DUH!!)

Put the clamp around the sleeve (The sleeve I'm using is from my Pro.15 engine) and tighten it up. Do not tighten it too much. Tighten it until its hard to move the piston inside the sleeve.

***In this step use caution***

Put the sleeve on the stove so it gets really hot. The stove I used was a glass top stove so I just put the sleeve on top of the naked glass. If you have a glass top or a normal ELECTRIC stove just put the sleeve right on top, but if you use a GAS stove I would suggest putting the sleeve inside a pan or some kind of recipient so the sleeve is not exposed directly to the fire. I left it there for about 2 minutes.

********CAUTION***********
Grab the sleeve with a pair of pliers (be gentle with it when using pliers, since its really hot, you could easily bend the sleeve out of shape) or some oven gloves, and QUICKLY drop it inside a container with water. This will cause the sleeve to stay the way you tighten it up when you take away the clamp.

Now, if you can't get the piston to go inside the sleeve after the process, then take the sleeve, this time without the clamp, put it upside down on top of the stove and heat it again. After a moment take the pliers and grab the piston by the connecting rod and force it into the sleeve. This will open up the sleeve and allow the piton to enter tightly. DO NOT leave the piston inside the sleeve when you drop it inside the water again. Take the piston out by just grabbing the sleeve with the pliers and pulling the piston by the connecting rod. The rod will get really hot too so use another pair of pliers or just a rolled up piece of paper towel. Dry everything well and rinse it with denatured alcohol.
After this just put some after run oil on the piston and sleeve. Put the engine back together putting after run oil on everything. You will have to break-it-in again. I hope this saves you some money on a new engine or piston and sleeve replacement.

I did this and it worked for me, I'm sure it will work for you too, but I'm not responsible for any damage you cause to your self, to others, or to your property while doing this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i need some help with this, i did it and made the sleve too small, i tried making it bigger but it gets stuck every time i put the piston in. i have to wait til it cools then yank it out. is there another way to make it bigger thx

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not there is no easy way to get the sleeve enlarged. DO NOT leave the piston in the sleeve when you put it in the water. IT WILL CRACK THE SLEEVE!

lol i'm lucky then i did that one time, but i got it to work, now my motor has plenty of compression but now i'm wondering if i should've had more

I usually pinch the sleeve about one time per motor to get a little extra from it (depends on how the crank bearing look / feel ).

to the person who figured this out:
this worked perfectly.....genius!!! thank you very much!!!
i accidentally made the sleeve too small...so i placed the sleeve on the stove till hot, forced the piston all the way in....then quickly placed piston/sleeve (connecting rod down) in a long 21mm socket and lightly tapped the piston out of the sleeve with a socket small enough to fit inside the sleeve (without touching the sides of the sleeve)....works perfectly!
Old 09-24-2007, 08:05 PM
daveschutt

Also i am investing more than i paid in my buggy. I am buying all the upgrades so I can do even better at my club races. How is the starter box from redcat? Is it worth $65.00 or is it crappier than the pull starterr!!! Also redcat has a sweet sale going. 4.50 for tires!!! I am buying everything(in the past 8 months i have bought a tornado xp-150.00, associated MGT 4.60SE-450.00, and a traxxas nitro stampede-300.00,and an eletric stampede-170.00) Parts and upgrades are killing me. I will post pics of my bling, bling aluminium indestructable,chineese buggy!!!
Old 09-25-2007, 05:20 AM
newdoughboy

Hey guys, my crucial parts actually came in yesturday, The firestorm front wheels came in (4), now I am wondering if I am going to get any kind of traction on the road. The mt2 header and exhaust was a direct fit, but to me, it seems like the opening of the header is almost half as small as the stock one. Will this cause any problems? Also the new aluminum exhause doesn't have the little tip where I attach the fuel line to, to give pressure to the fuel tank. It just has a small hole. Any ideas? Lastly I bought a 1:8 Air filter for my 1:10 tornado bb. Any way to make the big thing fit?
Old 09-25-2007, 07:25 PM
wolverine330

I was reading back on page one of the thread, about stippng gears. I'm having that problem something fierce. I looked up the clutch bell you guys sugested. LOOKS GREAT. But do I also need to upgard the two spur gears in the tranny itself. Or will the cheapo ones from redcat work. I would like a little more low end torque also. Could somebody help me out and post some links up for peices i need to order.

THX MEN

Wolv.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:38 PM
ehroof

there are no upgrades for the spur gears, get this setup for the clutch bell:

http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...tchbell/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...on-gold/Detail
http://www.clermontmotorsports.com/s...-pinion/Detail

try sticking a magnet to your clutch bell, if it sticks, its steel and you dont need to upgrade it.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 PM
wolverine330

Well I'm sure the one I have now is aluminum since it came with the Buggy. The one in the link is steel? Also will these do anything for my bottom end. In my other thread i'm looking for a little taller and wider tire. Should I go with the other clutchbell posted on page one, to get better bottom end with taller tires?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:09 PM
ehroof

you can do the 13/18 setup, its much lower geared, if you go with the tires and rims i posted, your ok since they are the same diameter as the stock ones, only wider. you will need other parts with the 13/18 bell where the one i just posted will be a direct exchange.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:17 PM
wolverine330

How much wider are the wheels you posted? and are there different kinds of tread patterns i could get a hold of?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:20 PM
ehroof

i am trying to post pictures but its not working for some reason, if you look in my gallery you will see it, its the green tornado with the white wing and the red one with the white wing.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:33 PM
wolverine330

I do like the looks of the width. Basically i'm racing on kind of a grassy covered track, and am looking for a little different tread pattern. Its like racing on ice, and the tornado hops around on it like a skipping rock. I might try those wheels for a better stance, and I like the set-up of the clutch bell. Do those gears just thread onto the clutch bell itself without a lock washer or anything holding them in place.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
ehroof

thread right on, those tires are really sticky, they should work fine and they are low profile so they are good for the buggy, they are a buggy tire, the small pins work good.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:45 PM
wolverine330

tell me this. after looking at the tech specs on the wheels you posted. what is the difference in a buggy wheel and a truck wheel. isn't a 2.2" wheel just the same for both of them. and also what is the difference between buggy tires and truck tires. if the tire fits on the 2.2" rim, wouldn't they just be universal?

Wolv.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
wolverine330

Hey ehroof another quick question for you, if you don't mind. When I pull on the pull cord to start my engine. here lately its like its not grabbing anything or feels really easy to pull. Occasionally I feel it grab and I get a good pull out of it, but thats about five or six pull in-between. do you maybe think that one way bearing inside the pull cord is going bad, or possibly something else. I can't imagine it being the compression of the engine, it runs great and I've never gotten it too hot.

Thx for all your help man

Wolv.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:52 AM
ehroof

the profile of the buggy tires are less than the truck tires and sounds like the one way bearing, take it out, clean with carb cleaner and put it back in and see if that helps you out. if not then you need a new one.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:22 PM
daveschutt

Get the dirt hawgs. I can hit full speed with my buggy on the 400-foot straight at the track and then take the following tight turn at full speed. The stock ones are ok but wear out quick. Here is the link>>>>>[link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXDU13&P=ML[/link]<<<<<<<< the look cool too!!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
d3d5

is there anything i can use for the throttle linkage and horn while i wait for the parts?
Old 09-26-2007, 03:59 PM
hibityhupla

I found something you might be interested in if you want to widen the stance.

NIB Clodbuster 3/4" Offset 12-12mm Wheel Spacer Set

Cut and paste at ebay.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:35 PM
wolverine330

Man that definitely looks different, don't they. They look like they would put a ton of stress on the A arms, making the wheels stick out farther like that, withough modding anything else. Looks kinda scary to me....
Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 PM
newdoughboy

man, that looks awesome, but is it necessary at all?
Old 09-26-2007, 06:56 PM
wolverine330

They do look pretty cool, but how much more stress will be added to the steering and possibly the servo by adding that. Would make quite a difference widening your stance though, especially on certain terrain. I just know this has to induce stress somewhere that the buggy will not like.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:07 PM
wolverine330

Trying to order from Clermont motorsports but it will not let me, Keeps telling me "return to merchant" when I hit pay now. (thru paypal) is there something up or am i doing something wrong.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.