Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 09:02 PM
frekbynature2002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

If you can't get adjusted call cameron at Redcat or the online help will get him
Old 02-15-2007, 11:32 PM
edaslan

tanx guys i will do that
Old 02-18-2007, 12:42 AM
TORNADO BB

will some one make a list of engines that fit the tornado xp?what upgrades are needed if needed
Old 02-18-2007, 01:08 AM
zack221

Here is a good motor that is faster than the stock one it is a direct fit just unbolt the stock one and put this one in.

http://www.rcsuperstore.com/product_p/osmg11860.htm
Old 02-20-2007, 09:21 PM
archil

I am a newbie to nitro. I have been tinkering with electrics for a few years. I am having a hell of a time trying to set the idle on my tornado bb. I have taken it to my local hobby shop, checked with the local "experts" and no one has been able to set the idle.

When I start the engine, I have to set the trim high, or open, so that the car won't die. However, when I apply the brakes, the engine dies. It is fairly new and just off break-in. The car will run fine, and fast, but if I stop the car completely it dies. Compression is great, I have tried a variety of mixes with both the high and low speed adjustments, but in order to keep the engine running it has to be revving pretty high. The glow plug appears to be fine, gets nice and bright. However, it was suggested that the glow plug may be the issue as the engine will die if I remove the ignighter without revving the engine. Any and all suggestions are welcome!!!!!

The car is fun to drive but I am getting very frustrated with the idle. Please help!!!!!

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-20-2007, 09:28 PM
frekbynature2002

the carb should have a opening , like a half moon, at the rotary. if it dies when appling the brake. It could be rotary is closing all the way. I went through the same thing a week ago. Also, the inching screw should be flush and I think(not sure) the needle valve should be about 2 1/2 turns out. You should have a slight opening at the rotary when the brake is applied. Another problem I had was a cracked carb. Also I had a problem with the clutch spring breaking twice, changed all those parts and haven't had a problem since. Sorry That I couldn't be more help.
Old 02-20-2007, 09:29 PM
arlo1

It sounds to me to be one of two things. Most likely is the clutch spring these cars are bad for cheep clutch springs and they brake causing the clutch to grab all the time! The second thing could be the glow plug everyone is saying to go to the a3 glow plug because it is hotter and makes it eiser to tune at idle. If you car stalls at idle without the glow igniter but will stay running on the ground without moving, and with the glow igniter in place it is the glow plug If it cannot idle without moving clutchspring
Old 02-20-2007, 09:31 PM
frekbynature2002

yeah, the clutch springs are awful thats why I swapped everything to the traxxes and other parts on page 1
Old 02-20-2007, 10:09 PM
archil

I bought some A3 glowplugs when I got the car, so I stuck one of those in their. I'll give that a shot, if that doesn't do it, I'll check the clutch spring. Any how to's on taking apart the engine? I haven't had it apart yet as the thing is only a few weeks old.

By the way, thanks for the quick responses. I was floored to see that many replies that quickly.

Thanks for the help!
Old 02-20-2007, 10:34 PM
archil

Ok, so I got a wild hair and decided to take the engine apart following the Redcat vehicle repair/tune FAQ. And wouldn't you know it, I barely moved the clutch bell and boing out shot the clutch spring with one of the end loops completely gone. So, I'll be replacing that spring and hopefully everything will be shiny.

Thanks again!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:07 PM
frekbynature2002

get the traxxes #4146 clutch set, it works great
Old 02-21-2007, 07:35 AM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use the spring not the clutch shoes that come with it, they dont work.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:09 PM
BOBCAT45

[:@] Ijust bought a redcat tornado xp, could someone post the parts i need to replace the clutch bell and clutch.my local hobby store has parts but i am new to this hobby and i will need a little help explaining what to change out before i run it. i dont want to strip any gears on my 1st run. guys i sure do appreciate th help! is there any thing else i need to no to change out before my 1st run? are the clutch bells easy to change out? any suggestiongs would be appreciated.

BOBCAT
Old 02-21-2007, 01:17 PM
slide150

change your clutch bell to the hpi bell and pinion gears and change to the traxxas spring for the stock clutch shoes ....if you wanna eliminate the spring get the hpi teflon clutch shoes.....

here is a faq thread about it...i'd advise u to upgrade since the stock clutchbells are out of round and eat up spur gears

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_427/tt.htm
Old 02-21-2007, 08:07 PM
BOBCAT45

[:@] I just bought a xp tornado redcat and i want to change the clutch bell or what ever weres out the fastest, could someone write down the tower hobbies part numbers so i can fix the problem before i break in my new buggy? i am new to the hobby. would it be advisable to locktite everything (nuts and bolts). Thank you guys!

Bobcat
Old 02-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

bobcat, look in the beginning of this post. Thats where the clutchbells are listed. There is not need to list them again in the same folder. Just read back a few pages.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:23 AM
BOBCAT45

Is the clutch bell the only thing i need to ghange on my tornado xp? i am new to the hobby, is it pretty easy to do?
thanks guys bobcat
Old 02-22-2007, 10:55 AM
ehroof

change the clutch spring to the traxxas 4146x spring, dont use the shoes that come with the spring, just the spring.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:15 AM
BOBCAT45

Thank you!

bobcat
Old 02-23-2007, 05:59 PM
BOBCAT45

Well i went to mylocal hobby store today and ordered the clutch bell and gears and clutch spring(4146x). thhhe parts will be here next wed. and my tornado xp should be here according to ups monday. cant wait till i get it! is replacing that clutch bell and gears pretty easy? i am new to the hobby, so i am going to take my time and make sure everything is tite and move the servos t see if they r working correctly. what is a good oil to use on the air filter? would 3in1 oil work? isnt there a post in these forums that tells you how to replace all the clutch stuff? if there is could someone post it for me so i can read it, i sure would appreciate it guys. thanks for taking time to read my post and throw me some suggestions.

BOBCAT
Old 02-23-2007, 06:33 PM
ehroof

use air filter oil on the filter, you can get it from a hobbys store or automotive store. Its not that hard to change the spring and clutch bell. if you need help i will post you some pictures when you are ready, there is some information on the faq thread too.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:06 PM
BOBCAT45

ehroof,
if yu would go ahead and post the instuctions and pics for changing out the clutch bell and etc. THANK YO VERY MUCH FOR THE INFO!

BOBCAT45
Old 02-23-2007, 10:04 PM
dclintonh

THAT SPRING AINT EASY.

be careful not to crimp it, its pretty easy to do.

other than getting it over the pins its not that bad.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM
archil

Ok, I got that darn spring around the shoes, put the engine back together, and that viola my car now idles, without moving

I do have one more question. Is the "dinging" as the clutch engages normal? I noticed it before I replaced the clutch spring, but it is still "dinging". I suppose that is why they call it a clutch "bell"

I was actually able to tune the engine with a noticable effect. It is amazing how much fun the darn thing is when it actually works.

My clutch spring must have been broken from the get go, cause when I tried breaking in the engine it wanted to take off like a bat out of hell. Scared the crap out of me the first time I started it, LOL.

Thanks again to frekbynature2002 and arlo1 for the quick responses.

So, now I am ordering the HPI clutch bell and gears. Now comes the really stupid question...How do you assemble the 17T, 22T and the bell?

Thank again, everyone,

Pete

Old 02-25-2007, 07:41 PM
frekbynature2002

If the 22t and 17t gears are F thread and the bell is M thread, then all you do is thread the 22t on first(will be closest to block) and then the 17t. The clutch bell is easy, just remove the allen bolt at the end holding it in place(watch for the washers that are there), remove the 2 ball bearings that are in the old bell and install them in the new bell. Same removal as if replacing the clutch spring. Just install the new reverse as the old is removed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.