Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:12 AM
tyhodge07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

alright, just read something about fm/am.. and the traxxas is an am.. and someone said fm is almost a must when its a nitro.. so the traxxas one wouldnt work than or would it.. cuz isnt the stock an am?
Old 08-22-2007, 04:22 AM
rclynx

It will work just fine and its a better quality AM radio[:-]
Old 08-22-2007, 12:59 PM
tyhodge07

thanks, i was gettin confused, i was reading no, than yes, t han no get fm, and so on, if itll work than ill be fine cuz i dont have a controller, and i want to upgrade all my electronics but do it without dropping alot into it
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM
hibityhupla

I went with a Futaba radio system. Fairly cheap and a lot better then the stock stuff. You can find the sets on ebay for under $100 with the servo's and all. But yes, If you don't want to put a bunch of money in it any 2 channel radio system should work. Just make sure they have the crystals in them. Otherwise steal your old crystals and put them in the new set up. The only reason everyone says fm is better is you will have less of a chance of a signal messing with your car and maybe a little better range but I've had no problems with any I've had. Just make sure to get a failsafe so if you go out of range the car won't take off on you.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:46 PM
tyhodge07

alright thanks, ill prolly stick with the traxxas tq, and for the fail safe, should i just instal a spring, and what tension works best or what spring.. or whats another thing i can add on thats better or what not?
Old 08-22-2007, 06:29 PM
hibityhupla

the failsafe is a little electronic box that goes in the power line with the throttle servo. It just brings the car back to idle when you get out of range. Otherwise the car will go full throttle when you go to far. You should be able to pick one up for around $10. Not sure what you mean about a spring. I wouldn't put any springs on the servos though.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:53 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tyhodge07

alright thanks, ill prolly stick with the traxxas tq, and for the fail safe, should i just instal a spring, and what tension works best or what spring.. or whats another thing i can add on thats better or what not?

its always good to have a throttle return spring too incase the battery goes dead of something becomes disconnected and the failsafe will not work, at least it will return the throttle to idle. You can get a failsafe from tower or a few places, www.clermontmotorsports.com has them too, i think it will be hard to find one for $10 though. you can check suprasales on ebay, i got a couple of failsafes from him for around $10.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:39 PM
rowldog76

i need bearings and washers for clutch bell dont want to buy from redcat takes to long to get anyone know where to get these and fast
Old 08-22-2007, 10:15 PM
tyhodge07

alright, i found his store.. thanks for lettin me know on this, cuz i would have done ran the car as far as i could than it would have been gone, lol.. i always take it out and see how far it goes, now i know not to do that with nitro.. do you program the failsafe or just plug and go?
Old 08-23-2007, 08:17 AM
ehroof

you most likely have to program it, its no big deal, 123
Old 08-24-2007, 11:39 PM
kegger420

question fellas , does this sound right. i found that my car ( SHOCKWAVE) runs best when high end needle is 2 3/4 turns backed out and the low speed needle is just protruding the collar about 1.5 mm... it runs good here and i get about 10 minutes ona 75cc tank of 20% nitro. i would think its too rich. run any leaner and it seems to hesitate, not chug, when i get on it... any thoughts?

also does backing out the low speed needle richen or lean the engine out? i know im a noob so bear with.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:40 PM
kegger420

ORIGINAL: ehroof

ORIGINAL: tyhodge07

its always good to have a throttle return spring too incase the battery goes dead of something becomes disconnected and the failsafe will not work, at least it will return the throttle to idle. You can get a failsafe from tower or a few places, www.clermontmotorsports.com has them too, i think it will be hard to find one for $10 though. you can check suprasales on ebay, i got a couple of failsafes from him for around $10.
Im lookin for a link to get a failsafe and a guide to install and program it.. any help?
Old 08-25-2007, 09:50 AM
ehroof

ORIGINAL: kegger420

question fellas , does this sound right. i found that my car ( SHOCKWAVE) runs best when high end needle is 2 3/4 turns backed out and the low speed needle is just protruding the collar about 1.5 mm... it runs good here and i get about 10 minutes ona 75cc tank of 20% nitro. i would think its too rich. run any leaner and it seems to hesitate, not chug, when i get on it... any thoughts?

also does backing out the low speed needle richen or lean the engine out? i know im a noob so bear with.

clounter clockwise or out is richening it, leave it where it runs good bro, all engines are different, as long as its not running hot, your ok.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:52 AM
ehroof

hey kegger, most failsafes come with instructions, email dennis at clermont about the failsafes, i know he has them, if you need help setting it up, i will gladly help you when you get it.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM
kegger420

Geesh thanks for quick support. I hav read about all 42 pages of this thread.. very pleased on how informative u people are.
Im sure ill come up with more questions in future for ya to nail!

Thanks again
Old 08-26-2007, 12:59 AM
kegger420

can anyone recomend a great set of shocks? A link and any reviews on where to get a great set of shocks for the shockwave would be greatly appreciated. i am currently using the stock plastic ones and am using the largest spacers it came with to stiffen it up, does anyone else use these spacers? the shocks still seem bouncey and it tends to roll over in the grass. so i d like set that can handle turns on pavements , dirt, and grass and jumps.

and has anyone put oversize-like truck tires on the shockwave? if so how did it work and where can u get them?

thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 07:17 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

The stiffer you get the shocks the bouncier it's gonna get.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:37 AM
kegger420

ok well with the spacers the springs are stiffer, but the shocks seem to have almost zero dampening.. guess thats what i mean.. i want better dampening shocks. any idea where to find a set? aluminum would be nice if they will hold up.

thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 09:01 AM
AllAboutFunHobbies

Well you might try changing the shock oil. Clermont posted a nice thread about shock care and how to tune your shocks. The plastic ones tend to be leaky, also I think they come with light shock oil.
Old 08-26-2007, 10:27 AM
kegger420

nice ty, i searched and couldnt find it... got a link?
Old 08-26-2007, 02:19 PM
hibityhupla

all the stock shocks kinda suck unless you put a little shock oil in them. They don't hardly have any to start with.
Old 08-26-2007, 02:39 PM
tyhodge07

they sure dont, i took mine apart last night, they were all half full, i filled them up with some 30, might go a little higher, but i should be fine how it is.. havent gotten to drive my buggy yet, so ill see how it works out once my parts get here, already got all my electronics upgraded tho, from the first time i started it than broke it before i could drive it, its alot quicker reaction, all traxxas electronics now [8D]
Old 08-26-2007, 04:44 PM
kegger420

ah cool tip bud thanks.
whats the secret to taking them apart to fill them, and where do i get the oil ,and what kind do i get. i never messed with shoks before, is it special shock oil or just 30 weight motor oil? thanks!
Old 08-26-2007, 04:54 PM
hibityhupla

it's a silicone shock oil. There's all kinds of different weights. Not really sure which would be best. I went with the 30w oil. I always go through ebay, i think rcboyz had it. as far as taking them apart you should just need a set of needle nose and regular pliers. Grab the shock between the spring down low with the needle nose pliers where you'll probably never turn it down to in case you ruin the threads then use the other pliers to take the top off. If you fill them to the brim you won't have much movement if any. Try to fill them all to the same level or the car will bounce funny. I went through about a dozen shocks before I realized they needed more oil. Stock they seem to bottom out and bend.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:39 PM
tyhodge07

i got my 30 losi shock oil from the lhs, it was like 3 or 4 bucks for a bottle, ive done 8 shocks with it now and still have like half a bottle left, i would recomend just changing the oil in them instead of just filling them, i havent ran my yet with the 30, hopefully i can sometime this week. also do they sell a rebuild kit for these shocks? not that ineed one, but someday or someone prolly will.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.