Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 02:25 AM
besy_toyota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

id love to find a bigger engine for my tornado bb anyone have any ideas where i could find one pretty cheap
Old 11-11-2008, 01:37 PM
TORNADO BB

would this bumper fit the tornado
http://cgi.ebay.com/Integy-Savage-X-...1%7C240%3A1318
also i need a new purple chassis and screw set for the tornado does nay one know where to get one?
thanks
Old 11-11-2008, 02:40 PM
jimmiejump

go here http://www.t-bone-racing.com/
Old 11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
BBOY619

I have a tornado and bought an O.S. .18 CV-R engine (the one with the short shaft). Can anyone help me with what size clutchbell/spur gear to put on it? I put large tires on the buggy so I need lower gearing for it. This is the engine I got. [link=http://osengines.com/engines/osmg2105.html]CV-R[/link] . I tried putting a hpi clutbell but it doesn't reach up to the stock spur gear in the buggy.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:34 PM
ALL RIDER

I am having the same problem with the trx 2.5r, just not sure if I have to do some chasis mods or not.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:44 PM
el_tonto

^^ what's the exact problem you two? is the clutch gear not wide enough i.e. use a bigger clutch gear, or is it not long enough i.e. turn the transmission around backwards to move the spur along its axis (obviously not that simple, the two speed won't run properly backwards) - speaking of which, what transmission are you each using?
Old 11-13-2008, 03:11 PM
ALL RIDER

It seems that shaft is not long enough for a direct fit, I'am using the hpi clutch bell and it is a two speed, I was wondering if the only way to make it fit would be to modify the chasis, or is there an easy way.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:24 PM
BBOY619

On mine, the shaft of the engine isnt long enough to reach the spur gear. I have the single speed transmission (tornado xl/shockwave)
Old 11-13-2008, 09:41 PM
el_tonto

Making up some new engine mounts might work - Or perhaps drilling and tapping some new holes in the existing mounts. Or turning them around? I dunno I've not looked at the engine mounts very closely. Have you tried the original Redcat clutch bell to see if that fits?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:16 PM
el_tonto

Can you reassemble the single-speed transmission? I've only got the manual to go on, but it looks like you could turn the spur around and slide it on from the other direction. The e-clip holding it in place would then be useless, so you just use a spacer of some sort on the other side of the spur to hold it against the pin.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:11 AM
el_tonto

How many teeth is the single-speed spur? You could probably fit the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJLH5&P=ML]47T spur[/link] or [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXFKM1&P=ML]49T spur[/link] from the Savage (not the Savage X, note!) without too much drama - that's an 'offset' spur unlike the symmetrical Redcat one so the teeth will be at the back of the transmission case, instead of the center. You can see the shape of the spur in the two links - one shows the 'back' and one shows the front but they are both the same basic shape.

The higher tooth count on the 49T will help with your big tires - and 49T is about as big as you'll fit in the Redcat transmission casing. I'll give you some hints how to mount it if you want to go this path.

(Disclaimer: I have a 49T Savage X spur (different shape from the above spurs) set up as a 1-speed using a custom slipper arrangement in my 2-speed housing, but i used the HPI MT2 shaft to pull it off.)
Old 11-14-2008, 01:43 AM
besy_toyota

i have a kyosho stinger mk2 an a brand new tornado bb 2 speed why is the kyosho faster than the new tornado
Old 11-15-2008, 07:22 PM
mileslong

for everyone having problems mounting a 2.5 or 3.3. I first bought a multi shaft and used the longest set screw that came w/ it. I also have the the redcat motor mounts, flywheel on the motor w/ an hpi cb. I'll post a few pics soon to show everything
Old 11-15-2008, 08:29 PM
Hibityhupla!

yeppers....gotta get the multi-shaft. easy to replace the stock shaft and can find it on ebay fairly cheap.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:03 PM
TORNADO BB

where can i get a tornado xp screw set
Old 11-20-2008, 07:35 PM
el_tonto

which screws? The motor mount, and one screw on the steering assembly is metric M3, and the other ones are just coarser thread of about the same diameter.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:24 AM
[email protected]

I just got a New Tornado BB. I have run 3 tanks of fuel thru it & have been starting to make full speed runs on pavement.

When the Buggy gets almost to max speed it sounds like the trans momentarily locks up & quickly releases & then is ok until you almost reach speed again.

You can hear it bog the motor down just for a slpit second but is fine as long as you don't reach max speed.

Using 10% fuel with 22%oil & has nice smoke trail 'I richened the hi-speed before even runnig 1st run"

Any suggestions??

Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 02:11 AM
gokartingbob455

i dont think running it rich everytime you run it is necessary...well anyway, thats happened to me once and i never really figured out what it was...i just took the transmission off and looked for a problem, i never found anything wrong with it, it ended up fixing itself. check for something stuck in the gear teeth and lean or richen your engine for the bog or lean it depending on if it gets better or worse.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:58 PM
el_tonto

ORIGINAL: [email protected]
When the Buggy gets almost to max speed it sounds like the trans momentarily locks up & quickly releases & then is ok until you almost reach speed again.
You can hear it bog the motor down just for a slpit second but is fine as long as you don't reach max speed.
Using 10% fuel with 22%oil & has nice smoke trail 'I richened the hi-speed before even runnig 1st run"
Are you sure it's not the 2-speed changing gear?

22% oil is extremely high. I've never heard of any fuel having that much oil in it. And 10% nitro is a little on the low side for a .18, but if it's running ok then stick with it. You should break in a car with the fuel you intend to use with it.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:34 PM
[email protected]

Hey Guys

Thanks for the suggestions.

What I didn't explain well enough is that It is not an engine problem. I have played with airplane's since 1950.

The problem I have is that it seems to speed related. As long as I don't let the buggy reach max speed it never makes the sudden slow down.

It sure seems & sounds like it is trying to engage both gears at the same time. It is not the engine bogging down it is a driveline issue.

As far as running rich I opened up the hi-speed about 1/4 turn but performance is still very crisp & accellerates quickly with no bogg at all.

I mix my own fuel. I always break-in my airplane engines on 10% Nitro & 22% Klotz which contains 20% castor oil & 80% synthetic.

I'm guessing I may as well remove trans & look for a problem but was hoping there may be an external adjustment that had something to do with the shifting.

P.S. I'm new to nitro buggys but not nitro engines.

If anybody else may have had this problem I would be interested to know what fixed it for them.

The place I purchased it from suggested adjusting the slipper clutch But I'm not sure it is a clutch issue as it takes off very well & seems to be shifting from low to high.

Thanks again,

Racer Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 04:52 PM
el_tonto

There's no slipper on the 1/10th Redcats so I don't know why they suggested that. There's some great pics on here on adjusting the 2-speed but I'm too lazy to find them. If you dismantle it you'll probably work it out. There's a one-way bearing on 1st gear so make sure that rolls freely one way and not the other, and the 2nd gear is engaged with a centrifugal arm that flips out at speed. The adjustment is a little hex screw which tensions the return spring. Wind in = more tension = higher shift RPM

If both engaged that means the one-way isn't working, but you'd lock the wheels up instantly if that happened (or bust gears). It could be there's not enough high-rpm power to operate in second gear in your current state of tune. So it goes into second, but with the longer ratio you don't have enough torque and it slows down, then 2nd gear disengages and you speed up again. I guess a sticky (but not locked) one-way bearing would do this behavior (i.e. increase engine load in 2nd gear)
Old 11-30-2008, 05:06 PM
[email protected]

Power doesn't seem to be an issue. It takes off & goes like a streak.

It actually acts like the brakes actuate momentarily & then release.

It doesn't kill the engine but boggs it down instantly, & then it will accellerate instantly after the braking action right back to max speed & then do it again.

The adjustment you talk about I think is the one they refferred to.

They said they're 2 screws beside each other & I should loosen the one that is offsey approx 1/4 turn & try it again.

If this sounds correct I will do it & try it again tomorrow.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-30-2008, 05:11 PM
el_tonto

I was talking top-end power only, not low-end or mid.

Loosening would engage the 2-speed earlier. So if it 'bogs' earlier, then yeah it's probably related! You could also wind it right in so as to never engage the 2-speed. That'll also confirm it.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM
[email protected]

El Tonto

I'll try 1/4 turn both ways tomorrow & let you know tomorrow evening unless we get too much snow tonite.

If it snows too much it may be a few days before getting back to ya.

Thanks for your help

Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 01:32 AM
chevyderek72

ok correct me if im wrong but it sounds like when you hit max rpm it like almost stalls for a second. it will do that if its lean, cut out and right when you let off the throttle it goes good again until you almost hit max rpm. i would really switch to 20% fuel, either mix it or buy it, and have less oil, thats kinda much

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.