Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 04:42 PM
gokartingbob455

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tornado Thread

yeah i run 20% and i havent had that problem. except being to lean of course that happens all the time, with the freaking weather
Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 PM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

My tsunami was doing the same thing, the transmission clutch was engaging both gears at the same time. Turns out the spring on the transmission clutch was binded up and the arm that engages 2nd gear would engage whenever it wanted to. Since the tsunami and tornado are basicaly the same ( as far as drive train parts and etc. ) u could try replacing the clutch like I did. I haven't had any problems since.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:57 PM
[email protected]

Brett 185

I think you nailed it.

I adjusted the screw on the trans clutch today & it still does it.

I will contact Redcat as this buggy is brand new last thursday & did this the very first time I hit top speed.

I sure hope these have enough warranty to be right when new.

I'll let evryone know how it is handled.

Thanks everybody

Mike

Forgot to mention that my 2 nephews have 2 of these & they have had zero problems with theirs & will go as fast as long as they want.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 AM
[email protected]

Latest update on my Tornado BB shifting/bogging problem.

Well last evening I took the trans apart & really didn't see anything wrong so re-assembled it.

Took it out today & wallaaa it works like a champ, well for a little while.

I have been keeping the Buggy 50' to 70' from me as doing the break-in & paying full attention to every detail.

I let it get about 80' to 100' out because it was running & shifting so well & then, OH NO I HAVE NO CONTROL!!!!

It went about 250' & hit the curb at the end of the parking lot & of course was going WFO!!!!

You can only imagine, the buggy suffered very heavy damage.

I took the wreck home & tried to figure out what happened so checked the batteries first.

Trans still shows green but figured better check batteries individually.

All 12 are still at 1.5 volt. Of course they should be 1.5 volt as this is only the 4 time I have used the Buggy which equates to less than 15 minutes of actual Radio time.

It appears I just lost signal by letting it get farther out.

I'm sure the radio must not of had proper range.

Has anybody else suffered a faulty radio & suffered a similar fate??

I know they had a recall awhile back because of radio issues & wonder if I was just unlucky now.

I have emailed Redcat Racing & will have to wait for a response but am hoping that there is some warranty because of a radio issue.

The cost of the Buggy isn't huge but for less than 15 minutes it is costly.

Right now I have 4 wheels & not much else as the Buggy is heavily bent & broken.

I've been an active R/C modeler since 1950 & do the difference between operator error & radio failure.

Mike
Old 12-03-2008, 09:36 AM
jimmiejump

get a fail safe
Old 12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Brett185

Yep, your gonna need to get a failsafe. If the batteries go low or if you run out of range, the throttle will open up all the way. It happend to me, but luckily I was out in an open field and was low on gas so it didn't go far. I was told time and time again by my lhs not to ever run without a failsafe. I was just lucky that I didn't do any damage to my rc or worse something or someone else. Get a failsafe for all your nitro cars.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
[email protected]

I guess if they are that un-reliable & un-safe they should already have a failsafe or at least highly recommend & offer an upgrade & give the disclaimer. Had I have know that I would purchased a better unit with a better radio.

I have notived that Redcat has a warning thread of a previous radio recall problem which I would guess was very related to my outcome.

Thank goodness no one was hurt cause that puppy was really moving at impact.

Racer Mike
Old 12-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Brett185

The recall that redcat had was on their FM radios, yours should be an AM. I think you just ran it out of range. As far as I know all nitro cars will do the same thing if you don't have a failsafe.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:27 PM
[email protected]

Brett,

Are you suggesting that 100' away is too far???

If so these need better & safer radios.

My nephews have 2 of these & run them at the same place & run from one end to the other which is 450' to 500'.

p.s. fm radios are much better than am.

Mike
Old 12-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Brett185

Oh don't get me wrong, the radios and servos that come with redcats are definetly cheap, I've already had both of my servos go out. So I bought futabas. As far as range I've never gotten mine out to any 400 or 500ft, and yes I agree that FM is better. But when my nami went out of range is was around 250ft. or so. As far as your nephews getting 450-500ft. I have no idea how they are accomplishing that with an AM radio. I have a friend that I bash with on a regular basis, he has the volcano epx, he gets about the same range I do. But yes the recall redcat had was on their FM radios earlier this year. It's on the beginning of this forum.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:52 PM
[email protected]

Brett

I have agree about the quality of radios.

Transmitter $9.95

Receiver $14.00

Replacement prices suggest quality may not be adequate for the performance of these units.

I still know I shouldn't of been out of range at 80' to 100' away.

Mike
Old 12-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Brett185

Oh your definetly right, you should have been just fine at well over 100ft. You might have a faulty radio or servo. Check with redcat and maybe they'll help you out. But I would recommend just getting a better quality radio/servos. Futaba has a good radio with 2 servos for about $70. But still get a failsafe. They're only about $20 and worth every penny if it ever has to engage.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 PM
[email protected]

Just to give everybody an update on my run away Tornado BB Buggy

Redcat was very easy to work with & sent me a RTM Tornado & the needed parts to repair & also a new radio & only asked me to send back what I didn't use.

I did install a fail safe this time so I should never have a run away again.

My hat is off to Redcat Racing & their staff.

Rock on Redcat Drivers!!!

Mike
Old 12-12-2008, 10:21 PM
TORNADO BB

my car dies when i try to go full throttle
i think it might be the larger wheels
or the fuel mixture rich/lean which way do i turn the gold screw
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11221.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1088483  
Old 12-13-2008, 06:13 AM
numskull223

You can watch the screw, and when you see it turning and going down into the tube it making it leaner, when its getting closer to the top of the lil tube you'll making it richer. I think Clockwise is leaner counter clock wise is richer.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:15 AM
numskull223

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Just to give everybody an update on my run away Tornado BB Buggy

Redcat was very easy to work with & sent me a RTM Tornado & the needed parts to repair & also a new radio & only asked me to send back what I didn't use.

I did install a fail safe this time so I should never have a run away again.

My hat is off to Redcat Racing & their staff.

Rock on Redcat Drivers!!!

Mike
Feel very lucky!! I bought a BB eariler this year and on the 2nd tank of gas it just took off, and crashed into a shopping cart return Rack. I contacted them and NOTHING they didn't help me 1 bit. I still have a busted up BB.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:32 PM
[email protected]

I actually used honey instead of vinegar.

I really had my poop in a group & never got upset or demanding & only asked what they could do to help me.

I even made a suggestion as to what would be the cheapest way to repair for both parties.

Most would be suprised how much better it works in life as opposed to being rude & demanding which gets you nowhere.

Very happy with Redcat Racing

Racer Mike
Old 12-14-2008, 08:08 AM
RCARMAN

Does anyone know why the steering on the buggy would be slow to respond to the action on the controlled. Example..... I go to make a left and it seems to have a few seconds of delay and does not turn as quick or as much desired. It just seems sluggish...
I have already replaced the servo save. What and were are the other adjustments if any? Thank You
Old 12-14-2008, 10:16 AM
jimmiejump

Because it's made by RedCat & it's a piece of crap. Don't ask me how I know but I do.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
[email protected]

ORIGINAL: jimmiejump

Because it's made by RedCat & it's a piece of crap. Don't ask me how I know but I do.
Boy was that ever an intelligent post.

Let me guess your age jimmiejump 11 to 15 & pretty big for your britches??

Thats how you know!!

That is exactly the attitude that gets a person no where in times of need.

nuff said about that.

On a brighter note

rcarman

Email Redcatracing.com & ask for their assistance & be proffessional & I'm sure thet will have the solution.

Mike
:
Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 PM
TORNADO BB

i had the same problem and i changed the whole servo and the controller and it works great. I reccomend a 9kg servo for more torque
Old 12-14-2008, 12:17 PM
numskull223

Yeah, I tried to be nice the first two phone calls. Finally after I was told they wasn't going to help me and it wasnt there issue ,I got lil pea'd
Old 12-14-2008, 03:28 PM
joeyhatch11

Hey guys, wanted to know what you think about this. I was wondering if it would be better to use a 2S 900mah 7.4v Lipo to power the servo's/receiver, rather than using the stock battery holder using 4 AA's? I have some Esky Lama Lipo's I was thinking about using. I was also going to get rid of the on/off switch and just wire a Dean connector right to the battery. That way I don't have to worry about the on/off switch acting up on me. Any good?
Old 12-14-2008, 04:32 PM
joeyhatch11

Someone please explain because I'm not getting anything in the Exceed thread. I know that both RedCat and Exceed are very much a like that's why I'm asking. But for the .16 buggy, single speed, I'm looking for a replacement spur gear and on Nitrorcx.com I'm getting three different gears to choose from. Throttle gear, Diff gear and Spur gear. All are different teeth but look the same. What's the difference between them? More so with the Throttle gear and spur gear, they look the same. One's 47T and the other is 42T

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-06032.html Throttle Gear

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-06033.html Spur Gear

http://www.nitrorcx.com/51c00-05112.html Diff Gear

I can understand if the Throttle Gear and Spur Gear go together for the 2-speed Buggy and that the "spur gear" is only used with the single speed version but I'm getting no answers on this. Please help. Thanks, Joe
Old 12-14-2008, 09:23 PM
jimmiejump

59 years old, been racing r/c cars since 1981.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.