Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:44 PM
retrosoul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Racing Tsunami Thread

eminent i hate you. you can always drill the cups out a little for them to fit
Old 11-21-2008, 12:05 AM
eminentguitar

Dood you would have to drill them out 2mm and thats not going to leave you much room for strength. There already way to weak. Whats wrong with the mt2 way? Mine are still like new and I run the s#%! out of then and you know that. lol
Old 11-21-2008, 02:53 AM
uhoo_01

i dont break many drive shafts or cups in the rear. (im only running 2wd) . i do break a lot of tailshafts tho i buy them in bulk lol and i can change one in 3min hahahahah lol hey eminent i got a new project on the go . im jumping on the corr race truck bandwagon and converting my mugen 1/8 mbx5r-ps buggy to a corr short course truck . cos im more of a truck guy the buggy was kind of boring and i need a new project cos after the bb nami im kinda bored . any way D1ck head me order'd and got the wrong body for the corr convo . i should have got the traxxas slayer proline desertrat body , but i bought the REVO desert rat body its way to small 70mm to narrow dammmm . oh well im gunna stick it on my bb NAMI hahahah should look sick.just got to order the right one now.
Old 11-21-2008, 10:06 AM
Brett185
My Feedback: (2)

I have no problem using the MT2 parts, but I really don't want to change my A arms. I have the ultrawide and I love those a arms. I've wrecked my nami more times than I can count, I've broken alot of c-hubs, but I've yet to even bend an a-arm. last night I put my replacement rear diff back in so now I'm back to 4wd. I went ahead and put some o-rings into each of the drive cups all the way around ( including all the trans. drive cups ) and man did it snug all the dogbones up. I'm gonna give it a run later after work and see what happens. But yeah I beat the ever living crap out of my nami and over all I think it's held up pretty damn well. With some of the crashes I've had I don't think it would matter what brand of rc I was running sh*t would still break. I'll keep doing some research and figure out what I'm gonna do, but thanks to you guys at least now I know I have some options. I'm probbably gonna have to wait till after the holidays till I can start putting some serious money into the nami. I'm also thinking about getting the hurricane xp pro with my tax returns. Does anybody have any experience with it?
Old 11-21-2008, 10:30 AM
Brett185

Ok, I meant to ask a question in my last paragraph and it slipped my mind. Last night when I changed out my diff. I took the old diff and put new drive cups on it, however, on one of the planetary gears ( I guess that's what they're called ) that hold the drive cup to the gear, on one side of the diff ring gear the planetary gear is pretty flush and it's fairly easy to get the e-clip off, but on the other side it's deep inside the housing behind that weird spider gear and I couldn't get to the e-clip to get the cup off. How in the world do you get to that e-clip? Is there some kind of special tool that I need to get it off?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:20 PM
retrosoul

hey dont take any advice from eminent he doesnt even own a RC
Old 11-21-2008, 08:38 PM
KeithjV

Use the corner of a flat head screwdriver. But keep a hand over it so the clip doesnt go flying.....Been there a few times.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 PM
eminentguitar

ORIGINAL: Brett185

I have no problem using the MT2 parts, but I really don't want to change my A arms. I have the ultrawide and I love those a arms. I've wrecked my nami more times than I can count, I've broken alot of c-hubs, but I've yet to even bend an a-arm. last night I put my replacement rear diff back in so now I'm back to 4wd. I went ahead and put some o-rings into each of the drive cups all the way around ( including all the trans. drive cups ) and man did it snug all the dogbones up. I'm gonna give it a run later after work and see what happens. But yeah I beat the ever living crap out of my nami and over all I think it's held up pretty damn well. With some of the crashes I've had I don't think it would matter what brand of rc I was running sh*t would still break. I'll keep doing some research and figure out what I'm gonna do, but thanks to you guys at least now I know I have some options. I'm probbably gonna have to wait till after the holidays till I can start putting some serious money into the nami. I'm also thinking about getting the hurricane xp pro with my tax returns. Does anybody have any experience with it?
You could always get the mt2 cv shafts and lengthen them man. I did it on my tsunami when I put the volcano wide hex's and stubs in. Its really easy to do
Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Brett185

Well I ran my nami all weekend and didn't break anything. However my steering servo went out. Thankfully my friend had a couple extra servos laying around so I was able to fix that pretty quickly. I traded him a servo saver for it. Lol...anyway, at the very beginning of this thread there's alot of talk about changing the clutch bell and the clutch shoes and the part #'s are listed for tower hobbies, but this thread is pretty old. Does anyone know if there are some new clutch shoes out that would be a pretty good fit? I definetly want to go with a 3 shoe racing clutch. I know there is alot of talk about the stock clutch spring being very weak, but mine hasn't givin me any trouble, but there's just no bottom end power. No take off at all. So if anyone knows of a better clutch preferrably one I won't have to too much modifying I would appreciate it.
Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM
KeithjV

The HPI racing clutch works well and its a direct fit. Part of the problem with the bottom end is the gearing. 17T 1st gear on the stock .18 is too high. If you went with lower gearing or a stronger engine it would be fine.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
Brett185

The 17t your reffering to must be the clutch bell, cause the transmission is a 2 speed and has a 47t first gear and 42t second gear. I'm not sure what both are on the clutch bell. I assume it's the 17t you were talking about and probably a 14t or 13t it has two different toothed gears. Is there a larger clutchbell that will fit? I would preferr to keep it a 2 speed. So a larger 2 speed clutchbell would be nice, if there's one that will drop in.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:52 PM
retrosoul

try the alum clutch shoes from redcat makes a huge diff. VX and the SH motors dont have alot of bottom end . if you want to get a little more out of them try leaning out the LSN just a little bit make very small adjusments on that. try a tubed header and like keith said try gearing it down. also make sure the brake is 100% free of dirt and make sure the brake cam is clean also mine use to get dirty and the break would stick on take off.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:12 PM
Brett185

I've never seen aluminum clutch shoes on redcats site. Do you have a part #?
Old 11-24-2008, 08:10 PM
eminentguitar

ORIGINAL: Brett185

The 17t your reffering to must be the clutch bell, cause the transmission is a 2 speed and has a 47t first gear and 42t second gear. I'm not sure what both are on the clutch bell. I assume it's the 17t you were talking about and probably a 14t or 13t it has two different toothed gears. Is there a larger clutchbell that will fit? I would preferr to keep it a 2 speed. So a larger 2 speed clutchbell would be nice, if there's one that will drop in.
Put the hpi 13/18 tooth clutch bell on it man it will have way better take off then. If you read the first few pages of the thread you will find some posts on how to do it or you can get these.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM721&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM730&P=7

and as far as clutch shoes go you can use any of these

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCFR3&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDLJ2&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXLST3&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKSC6&P=7
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAX21&P=7

The 2 piece 2 springs clutch shoes dont grab as good with the smaller engines because there meant to use with bigger more powerful engines but they do work.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 PM
KeithjV

Sorry Brett. Yes I was referring to the clutch bell. The stock bell is 17/22, and with a 47/42 its way too high. It would be great as an on road setup but not for a truggy. As eminent said the 13/18 would work much better. Unfortunately I dont think redcat makes larger spur gears or that would help too.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:28 AM
Brett185

Thanks eminent and keith. I'm pretty sure I can find a spur gear to go with the clutch bell, but does anyone know of a 3 shoe racing clutch that would work?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:31 AM
KeithjV

Its the 3 shoe flywheel for the .18 thats hard to find
Old 11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
Brett185

Oh yeah. I almost forgot about that. You got a good point there Keith. I'll figure something out. Like I said earlier in this thread. I'm not looking to put a whole lot into the nami. It's my first nitro. I'm not planning on racing competitively or nothin. I'm just a basher. But when I get the Hurricane that may be a different story. I'll order that clutchbell and and one of the clutches and the shaft and give that a try. The only other thing I might do is put a NOS kit on it. I think that'll be pretty cool. Then after I blow up the engine I'll replace it with a .21, with redcat's warranty it won't be that expensive.
Old 11-25-2008, 01:31 PM
KeithjV

Good luck with the NOS. Make sure you film it when it blows.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Brett185

Yeah I will. I would've already had some pics up if my camera wasn't broke...( thanks to my g/f ) but I plan on getting another one soon, I might even get my g/f one for christmas, then confiscate it.....lol..... I think I am gonna get the NOS kit. It's only $100 on nitrousexpress.com. Man there's just so many options you can do with these things. I love it!!!!!! But anyway. I'm just gonna have to see how the wallet feels after Christmas, then go from there. Or I may just go ahead and get the hurricane and keep the nami stock and just keep beating the sh*t out of it....lol.....
Old 11-25-2008, 07:31 PM
eminentguitar

Is the huricane 1/10th? or 1/8th?
Old 11-25-2008, 10:50 PM
el_tonto

The 'Cane is the 1/8th buggy if I'm not mistaken.
Old 11-25-2008, 11:01 PM
eminentguitar

What redcat buggy is the 1/10th scale? I cant remember.........
Old 11-26-2008, 12:39 AM
KeithjV

The hurricane is a 1/8th buggy. The 1/10th is the shockwave
Old 11-26-2008, 12:45 AM
chevyderek72

hey brett i dont think redcat has a .21

and the for 1/10th the beginner buggy is the shockwave, and the 2 speed with the .18 is the tornado

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.